September 11 2022 -
February 13 2022 -
December 18 2021 -
October 18 2021 -

Developer
Project and collaboration Wacky Melange
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Inspiration and description
"Reginald Ursington's Stalking Kittens" is a series of satirical, humorous adventure / visual novel games for Adults.
The games are homages, recapturing the spirit of detective adventure pulp novels and soft-core movies from the 80s and 90s while not taking things very seriously.

The idea is to have one release a year, a short case or an act of a longer story.

All games will be made available for free after being finished.

Story
Reginald was sufficiently successful as a private detective when at the end of a fairly weird case he came across a huge amount of money. That money belonged to no one, at least no one who would ever divulge it was tied to them... So he did what every good detective would, take it.

To prevent attracting attention of the tax office or other bad guys the plan he came up with was to drum up a lot more income and expenses to hide the eventual "withdrawal"... But how to do that without causing too much effort on his side?

The idea of "Reginald Ursington's Stalking Kittens, international detective agency for delicate cases" was born.

Content
The first case starts out as a short, multi path Visual Novel / Adventure Game with 2D graphics and a focus on story, dialogue and investigation / puzzles.
The series is thought to be easy to consume, exhilarating stories, making a bit of cheeky fun of story and plot (or the lack thereof) in bad vintage movies and novels.

Lewd material is embedded as part of the story, facilitating the investigations.
There is no plan to pay special attention to specific kinks and everything is possible within moderation as long as it fits the theme and individual story of the case.

In later cases gameplay mechanics like "trainer", "waiting game" or others will be added if it fits and effort for development of the engine permits.

Engine
The engine used is based on and .
All functionality on top of that plus integration of additional PlugIns and Systems is developed by myself. This includes stageplay animation, audio, game logic and other things needed for games.

News and Updates
September 11 2022 -
August 28 2022 -
July 26 2022 -
April 26 2022 -
April 2 2022 -
March 26 2022 -
March 14 2022 -
February 26 2022 -
February 14 2022 -
January 28 2022 -
January 9 2022 -
December 30 2021 -
December 18 2021 -
December 11 2021 -
December 4 2021 -
November 25 2021 -
November 19 2021 -
November 13 2021 -
November 6 2021 -
October 31 2021 -

Last edited:

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021
I posted a new devlog over on itch
November 19 2021 -
(forgot to reply the previous posts here lol)

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021
New devlog over on itch with an exciting announcement ;)
November 25 2021 -

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021
The current public beta build of "Reginald Ursington's Stalking Kittens - Knuffles is missing!" is up for download!
The case and story are fully playable.
There are very few new drawings, yet.
Download, unzip and enjoy the case. Have fun!

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021
December update on audio and VoiceMoticons
December 4 2021 -

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021
The new public beta (1.0b.9) with VoiceMoticons for Reginald is available on itch.
December 11 2021 -

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021
The VocieMoticons pack used for Reginald Ursington is released over on itch ^_^
December 18 2021 -

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021
Story and structure, glimpse into the crystal ball
Writing short, easy to read stories and getting them to the audience often is having a well deserved comeback at the moment. After pulp novels vanished from the limelight in western countries over fifty years ago this trend is coming back mostly in Asia, as far as I can tell.
You can read about it in many places, here’s a good In A Nutshell.

December 30 2021 -

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021
The second case: Enhance all the codes!
For a minute I got distracted by enhancing the framework, will save a lot of pointless work in the future!
January 9 2022 -

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021
January 28 2022 -

This might just benefit some others dealing with a similar situation:
So, I took general advice bits for writers about structuring work, mashed that up with stuff from my project managing background in software development, adjusted it to my case of game development and came up with how I want to proceed from now on for each self contained case or "act":

1. Writing: Sketch out ideas and storylines.
2. Writing: Write descriptions, backgrounds, motivations and evolution for characters, groups, locations etc.
3. Writing: Sketch out story beats and key scenes
4. Writing: Sketch out chains for puzzles and advancing the storylines.
5. Writing: Sketch out happenings alongside the chains and key scenes.
6. Development: Combine the resulting gameplay from all above into variables, values and flowcharts to verify everything is in order, no unwanted crossing of branches, all ends are reachable etc.
7. Development: Implement everything as rough draft with short descriptive texts including stage play as descriptions.
8. Development: Test play the games logic and check that the flow feels "right".
9. Writing: Write the key scenes and main storylines.
10. Writing: Write happenings around the chains and key scenes.
11. Development: Implement writing, graphics, stage play, sound etc.

Working along this guideline should allow for stretches of time closer concentrated on writing or development while allowing for division of work and integration of changes that come up along the way.

Of course I'll stick to other advice one picks up about writing and working on creative projects in general like "Do at least one thing a day" and all that.
But I guess everyone knows and follows some of these as listening to "others who came before" helps a lot :)

Cheers /Dagget

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021
Release of a (very) early public preview of "Recipe for Seduction!"

Since I already finished writing the act I implemented it while enhancing the framework and updating the engine.

Focus is now back on "Knuffles is missing!", artwork, sound and stageplay, so stay tuned!

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021
New beta of "Kuffles is Missing!" for Win-x86 with new Backgrounds and more Assets
For you to , go have a read ;)

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021
First test renders in Daz Studio
Looks like I'll go with Daz to get actors in my game. Took me a while to get up to speed but I really like what Daz lets me achieve in sensible time!

DazTestRender.jpg DazTestRenderCloseup.jpg KaekoTutorial_setup.jpg

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021
Revealing the main cast of "Knuffles is missing!"

Hey there,
the first visuals of the main cast starring in for you!

Stars_reveal_RUC01.jpg

I will surely fiddle with details during further development and they will get access to more wardrobe, clothing and such but they already embody my ideas of the characters almost perfectly.
Two more supporting actors are following soon and after that I am ready to get into poses and expressions for the story.
I hope you like what you see, there will be a lot more in the future.

I wish everyone peace, prosperity and a calm and safe spring!

Cheers! /Dagget

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021

While learning more about DAZ I decided to re-do the actors assets that were already in before I did a bunch more.
I switched to using HDRI for lighting and I like the renders much better now. Also rendered more poses to cover the basics.

DaggetBeaver

Feb 4, 2021

What is still missing?

NSFW content. Sorry, I'm going to get to it...
I'll also be straightening out any issues with text, animation etc. that show up along the way.

Versions for Linux, MacOS and Android.
To be honest, I won't be able to test versions for non-Win OSes any time soon. My Mac is too old now, my dedicated Linux box is no more and I do not own any Android devices.
I'll continue to provide non-tested versions, compiled with the settings that worked good some time ago, so be sure to shoot me a message if there's serious issues.
Getting some mid-tier Android tablet will likely be my next step here.

Yes, and now the journey to sexy DAZ renders begins in earnest. That road might be bumpy and long, you can monitor my progress over on deviantart and twitter.

I for one am excited to finally get to the juicy parts!

Cheers /Dagget