Regular Visual Novel Or A Open world Clickable Visual Novel game?

Mr. Mayhem

Apr 14, 2019
I like both but I want to see what others think. also when I say open world world clickable visual novel I mean games like harem hotel, man of the house, etc and when I say regular visual novel I mean the ones where you read and make choices.

u z i

lurker
Uploader
Donor
Nov 9, 2018
i like them both as well.
you could just make a poll to see what people think.

kytee

Dec 17, 2018
Well if you're asking what I think, I'd say I prefer regular VN significantly more than one with clickable elements.

There's a two advantages off the top of my head that devs could take advantage of, one of them theoretically (not many devs attempt this).

First, it allows you to focus render time strictly on the environments you need. Means more time for you to craft the good story bits and less time for me spent on navigating around your map (I quit many games if I get tired of navigating the map). So many games have empty spots with nothing to do there, complete waste of the player and dev's time.

Another reason is it allows you to create related story events. For example, something happens with girl A that affects girl B and girl C and vice versa. When devs create a navigable story, it becomes very easy and tempting to separate each girl into their own storylines. In my opinion, this is horrible as it makes the world feel dead. The player spends hours getting into a relationship with one girl, and the rest of the world doesn't even acknowledge it because it's too much to code when every other girl has their own storyline.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
I prefer interactive games. Click, read, click, read especially when choices don't matter just don't hold my attention and I don't find them interesting. I prefer VN like a good girl gone bad with lots of choices who matters, but development is stalled because of it atm. Too many branches in the story.
I noticed that Japanese VN which notorious for one linear path with nothing to do, but click left mouse button, started to add gameplay elements into the games a lot more than a decade ago. Like managing businesses, your time, activities, reliationships, etc.

GoblinSpirit

Dec 31, 2019
Too late to reply i think, but i prefer interactive, like house rooms, maps, works, spending time, i feel like regular VN is just like reading a book with images, click, next image, text, text, text, next image, more text, text, image, i could see it working for HTML games, since VN games keep the characters as same and yaddayadda, but it's kinda boring just clicking for more images and text without a bit of puzzle and exploration, i could give a go, but not my favorite.

Reactions: Gorbox