RPGM - Completed - Reign of the Succubus [v1.01] [TechnoBrake/Kagura Games]

1. 2.00 star(s)

IndriIndri

I wanted to like this one but honestly survival mechanics are not for me, I don't really enjoy having to constantly eat, drink and wash to survive. Unless you play on the easiest mode, survival mechanics will be most of the game besides surviving against the succubi and the beasts

The CGs are all tied to different succubi, which you can fight and eventually talk with to convince them to join your party. Doing this though only lets you get a passive skill from them one at a time, and they don't actually engage in fighting. At most they'll just rape you when you go to sleep, but doing so improves your relationship which powers up the passive and can unlock a better interaction with them. The Cgs are also mostly the same for each interaction on the same succubi, just with different text.

Besides that it's mostly just wandering around a large map picking up materials and trying to find anything to help you. Theres no levelling system besides some skills having a "proficiency" and equipment you can craft or find. To find new skills you need to find books scattered across the world, but the only hints as to where these might be is just the fact structures exist on the map and hoping going there might have one. Didn't really strike with me since crafting good equipment needed books, which I had no clue wheree to find besides just hoping any building had something useful.

I suppose for some the idea of being a weak man on an island filled with succubi and trying to survive against the stacked odds might be appealing to some, but it just annoyed me after an hour or so needing to gather materials, make camps and figure out how to get stronger.
  2. 3.00 star(s)

LaserMoon

v1.01
    This game was a disappointment, I love TechnoBrake's artwork but there's not much variety here.
    The story is forgettable and tedious.
    The gameplay is generic and boring, very textbook rpgmaker.
    It seems like a game made in a hurry and with elements that only lengthen the duration without any intention of being fun at any point.

It's better than a lot of games out there but I'm used to demanding more from these brands that have proven to do fantastic things in the past.

As I mentioned the art is great as usual but sadly there are not many images. So my recommendation is to download the image gallery and go to town because here you will get bored quickly.
  3. 2.00 star(s)

Cofman

Well... how can you create a game on rpgmaker engine worser than it is ? Just do it with a freaking map of labirints and no hints about where to go ! Map is a bit helpfull with it's teleportations in classic mode (because survival is fucking hell of frustration), but that's it, a bit of help.
    Also a very frustrating part, is items and ore grinding (yup, even worser than exp and golden coins grinding).
    Only good thing is pics, they are good at least.
    Everything else is boring and gives frustration.
    2 frustrated succubus of 5
  4. 3.00 star(s)

ExcitedCharacter

The game has some good mechanics. It does get a bit grindy at times, and respawning at the start if your fire is missing can become very annoying very quickly, but gameplay is certainly above average. However, as another reviewer mentioned, the H-scenes are severely lacking. They're really short, and mostly have one image to them with a bit of text dialogue. Overall, that brings things down to about average.
  5. 3.00 star(s)

Ophanim

I hesitate to give this such a low score, because it was borderline 4/5, but the H scenes (which we're all here for, be honest) really let this one down.

The gameplay is honestly good, with a genuine sense of struggle one would expect for being stranded on a hostile island. Hunger, thirst, fatigue and cleanliness bars have all been added to the ui, and are suitably annoying to satisfy for the setting. Despite using standard assets for RPGM, the clock advancing constantly (with lighting at night) and the relatively difficult combat delivered a decent sense of atmosphere for an RPGM title. At least, in as much as it can without its own assets. The crafting was relatively solid, and the dungeon crawling felt like I had to think about what I would need beforehand. Fast travel is out of reach for much of the game, unless you play on the easiest difficulty setting, further giving the game world a sense of scale.

So despite all of that, why 3/5? Because this is an H game. Whatever we tell ourselves, and I really tried to because I liked everything else, we're here to see the H scenes. And these are pretty bad, all things considered. I played the machine translated version in the past, and the scenes were seriously like ten lines apiece. This has not changed in this version, although they are at least a bit more erotic when written in English. When you're grappled in combat, as is common for this genre, there's little to no description of what's happening to the protagonist, just... damage. Even the scenes you get for giving the monsters energy, 'befriending' them, are too short to be even close to satisfying.

The art varies from fairly good to mediocre. It's fairly good for what it is, but the faces and proportions can look pretty goofy at times. There's a story in there somewhere, but I didn't really notice, because it's mainly there to point you in the direction of the major dungeons on the island and get you the books you need to learn more recipes. This is... acceptable. Not good, but not a negative thing, as the gameplay loop hammers home a decent sense of solitude, apart from the succubi who're tagging along with you, and they're never exactly friends. Could have been more character to the succubi, and/or subplots, but that feeds back into how bland and short the sex scenes are. If the succubi weren't bland sex bots then I think a lot of issues would have been alleviated.

If you want an H game with a fair difficulty curve, give it a shot, but don't expect too much from the H side of things aside from the (admittedly good) static images.