Remakeing Wet the sexy empire

Warwick666

Jan 27, 2019
Hi there,

I'd say I'm an average programmer who did stuff over the last 15 years using delphi and c# for production industry, nothing with gaming or animation or stuff like that.
I'm kind of obsessed with the game - no clue why.

I'd like to try to make a remake, just for fun - and to modify things I never liked - no idea where it leads to.
Need a push into the direction on how to start.
Biggest unkown thing for me is how to retriev the sprites / animation from the original game...

Any help on how to start?

quarzo

Aug 25, 2017
well i personally no know this game, but seems very basic animations, the hard way is taking screenshots and cut it on a image editor, the use as your assets.

i did a fast reseash about game sprites/assets but no data on google :(

Warwick666

Jan 27, 2019
well i personally no know this game, but seems very basic animations, the hard way is taking screenshots and cut it on a image editor, the use as your assets.

i did a fast reseash about game sprites/assets but no data on google :(
Thanks for replying.
I did some research in the meantime an found that the game was made using Watcom++ IDE.
Using that I was able to get all background graphics, all sound, all videos from the game files.
They were stored in TGP format and there is a tool available to extract data from that resulting in TGA pictures.

What I still have no clue is animated 2D sprite stuff.
Its stored in a format called TAF where you dont find anything on the web for.
Pretty much sure that a file holds several single 2D sprites, when "played", make the animation.
But I got no idea at the moment on how the get the single sprites.

Regarding cutting out using screenshots: would be a ton of work, as some animations like opening and closing eyes consist probably out of 3-4 single "eye pictures"
Not sure about that, if no other way is there maybe an option is to focus on important stuff and skip minor animations like eyes and so on...

quarzo

Aug 25, 2017
Congratulations!!, if you have a way to extract most of the data, and only characters are missing, at least you have a lot of material to advance in the remake and you can use something provisional.

about the animation with cutting the character into parts, you could adapt the character for a cut-style animation for dont do it in the frame to frame way. if you main code skill is C# i guess you will make it on unity maybe? because this engine includes a tool for this kind of animation. :)

sorry my bad english

Warwick666

Jan 27, 2019
Congratulations!!, if you have a way to extract most of the data, and only characters are missing, at least you have a lot of material to advance in the remake and you can use something provisional.

about the animation with cutting the character into parts, you could adapt the character for a cut-style animation for dont do it in the frame to frame way. if you main code skill is C# i guess you will make it on unity maybe? because this engine includes a tool for this kind of animation. :)

sorry my bad english
Unity was my first thought though I never used it so far.
Gonna start with a basic tutorial on a 2D point and click first, before I start "my project".
What you mean with cut-style? Using only 2-3-4 frames or so from the whole animation?

Reactions: quarzo

quarzo

Aug 25, 2017
Unity was my first thought though I never used it so far.
Gonna start with a basic tutorial on a 2D point and click first, before I start "my project".
What you mean with cut-style? Using only 2-3-4 frames or so from the whole animation?

is a way to do animations with some assets as body parts :)

and let do too this style of animations

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
There's a few tools out there for exploring binary files with unknown formats. I've not used these before myself but remember a thread from a guy who had used it for a similar purpose to what you are trying to do.

There is also this - not as focussed on extracting game assets specifically, but potentially could be useful if you do things like search for known image format headers / magic bytes

Reactions: quarzo