RPGM Removing mosaic from pictures in RPG MV

djv007

Apr 23, 2020
So i was translating a Rpg Mv game and it had some pictures that need to be translated. While doing them, I tried to remove mosaic from them using photoshop but failed.

I want to ask if anyone knows how to remove mosaic from the game pictures. Or is it no possible at all. If its not possible, then redrawing the images is the only way ? Also if i need to redraw 2d art, then which software to use. I am an absolute novice at editing pictures. I tried to google but found nothing. Thats why i am asking here. As always, every reply is appropriated

xj47

Nov 4, 2017
It depends on the mosaic. Depending on how the effect is applied it might be possible to fully reverse it.
Usually not though. Also for games that expect to have a mosaic applied, the artists likely won't bother drawing the censored bits in detail anyway. So even if you fully reverse it you might get bad results.

That said, I believe there are some AI-driven programs that can de-censor stuff. It's a bit different to removing the mosaic exactly since the program is essentially guessing what the censored part should look like, but it can give nice results.

JoGio

Jun 19, 2018
Decensor work is usually done manually by a competent artist who can match the original art-style of the game. It's pretty much just the artist's best guess as to what was there before the mosaic was applied.

A good artist would be able to decensor a piece such that you can't even tell it was censored in the first place.

Karmicstickman

Dec 12, 2021
Funny I stumbled along and found this I have been fooling around with Stable Defusion and that is a thing I have try to do. Its not going great they can look a bit off but with a bit of hugging face training maybe it will come along. I will post a fallow up if i can knock out a useful set up.

Reactions: xj47