Ren Py issues

skillzzxx

May 19, 2018
hello everyone

I have a problem with the ren py files, I cannot open x64 files, when I click, it loads but not open
anyone know a solution?

thanks in advance

PD: i can open x32 files

Krnekdo

Feb 28, 2017
hello everyone

I have a problem with the ren py files, I cannot open x64 files, when I click, it loads but not open
anyone know a solution?

thanks in advance

PD: i can open x32 files
The issue that you're experiencing is likely due to running a 32bit OS, such as an old copy of Win7 or XP. Sadly, you'll never be able to run x64 versions, because they're designed to be ran on x64bit operating systems. Right click on your computer icon on your desktop and select properties. There you'll see if you're running a 32 or 64 bit OS. The only way to resolve this issue is to upgrade your Windows. Understandable if you don't want to or can't, if you're using a really old laptop, for instance.

skillzzxx

May 19, 2018
The issue that you're experiencing is likely due to running a 32bit OS, such as an old copy of Win7 or XP. Sadly, you'll never be able to run x64 versions, because they're designed to be ran on x64bit operating systems. Right click on your computer icon on your desktop and select properties. There you'll see if you're running a 32 or 64 bit OS. The only way to resolve this issue is to upgrade your Windows. Understandable if you don't want to or can't, if you're using a really old laptop, for instance.

Im running a x64 OS, I could play normally, one day suddenly it stopped working when i click on game exe. It tries to load but it doesn't open.

Krnekdo

Feb 28, 2017
Im running a x64 OS, I could play normally, one day suddenly it stopped working when i click on game exe. It tries to load but it doesn't open.
Okay, I'll probably be proven wrong again, but maybe you're running 64bit Win7, that isn't supported by newer Ren'Py versions? If not, it's possible that you need to update something pertaining to Python, Ren'Py is very much dependent on it. A lot of people run pirated OS and shun from Windows updates. Alternatively, it could be file corruption, a permissions issue, or something else entirely. Ren'Py does create a .log file if something goes awry. One should be present in the root directory of the game folder. Go see what error it gives you. Maybe you'll understand what went wrong by reading it, otherwise post it here and we might be able to provide more insight.

skillzzxx

May 19, 2018
Okay, I'll probably be proven wrong again, but maybe you're running 64bit Win7, that isn't supported by newer Ren'Py versions? If not, it's possible that you need to update something pertaining to Python, Ren'Py is very much dependent on it. A lot of people run pirated OS and shun from Windows updates. Alternatively, it could be file corruption, a permissions issue, or something else entirely. Ren'Py does create a .log file if something goes awry. One should be present in the root directory of the game folder. Go see what error it gives you. Maybe you'll understand what went wrong by reading it, otherwise post it here and we might be able to provide more insight.
Wed Oct 11 18:30:14 2023
Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809

Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.04s
Early init took 0.00s
Loader init took 0.04s
Loading error handling took 0.08s
Loading script took 0.44s
Loading save slot metadata. took 0.03s
Loading persistent took 0.00s
Faled to initialize steam: AttributeError("function 'SteamAPI_SteamIPAddress_t_IsSet' not found")
Set script version to: (8, 0, 3)
Running init code took 0.18s
Loading analysis data took 0.04s
Analyze and compile ATL took 0.05s
Index archives took 0.00s
Dump and make backups. took 0.00s
Cleaning cache took 0.00s
Making clean stores took 0.00s
Initial gc. took 0.05s
DPI scale factor: 1.000000
nvdrs: Loaded, about to disable thread optimizations.
nvdrs: b"Couldn't load nvlib." (can be ignored)
Creating interface object took 0.00s
Cleaning stores took 0.00s
Init translation took 0.07s
Build styles took 0.00s
Load screen analysis took 0.07s
Analyze screens took 0.00s
Save screen analysis took 0.00s
Prepare screens took 0.12s
Save pyanalysis. took 0.00s
Save bytecode. took 0.00s
Running _start took 0.00s
Performance test:
Interface start took 0.17s

Initializing gl2 renderer:
primary display bounds: (0, 0, 1920, 1080)
swap interval: 1 frames
Windowed mode.

will copy paste log here

Krnekdo

Feb 28, 2017
will copy paste log here
I immediately noticed 2 things. The first one is the following line. Faled to initialize steam: AttributeError("function 'SteamAPI_SteamIPAddress_t_IsSet' not found") Perhaps this has something to do with the game version? Maybe, if it was taken from Steam, it hasn't been cracked correctly if it had incorporated some kind of DRM? No idea what the 32bit one would work then. Perhaps some weird conflict. The second is this line nvdrs: b"Couldn't load nvlib." (can be ignored) - something about NVIDIA drivers or settings, I don't know the details.

Try running a 64bit version of some other Ren'Py game, maybe one you've never played before. You can find plenty of small Ren'Py games on the site. This is to test if it's a broad issue or if it's specific to that game. If you've done this already, it might be a driver issue. Try updating your graphics drivers. Perhaps you even enabled some kind of profile or setting for some other game that you played, that for whatever reason isn't compatible with Ren'Py? See if you can save your current graphics profile settings, then reset to default and see if that changes anything.

Pamphlet

Aug 5, 2020
I immediately noticed 2 things. The first one is the following line. Faled to initialize steam: AttributeError("function 'SteamAPI_SteamIPAddress_t_IsSet' not found") Perhaps this has something to do with the game version? Maybe, if it was taken from Steam, it hasn't been cracked correctly if it had incorporated some kind of DRM? No idea what the 32bit one would work then. Perhaps some weird conflict. The second is this line nvdrs: b"Couldn't load nvlib." (can be ignored) - something about NVIDIA drivers or settings, I don't know the details.

Try running a 64bit version of some other Ren'Py game, maybe one you've never played before. You can find plenty of small Ren'Py games on the site. This is to test if it's a broad issue or if it's specific to that game. If you've done this already, it might be a driver issue. Try updating your graphics drivers. Perhaps you even enabled some kind of profile or setting for some other game that you played, that for whatever reason isn't compatible with Ren'Py? See if you can save your current graphics profile settings, then reset to default and see if that changes anything.
Nah, the Steam and nvdrs warnings are normal and don't prevent running.

I'll second checking graphics drivers - there should be more to the last paragraph in the log. Like this:

Initializing gl2 renderer:
primary display bounds: (0, 0, 3840, 2160)
swap interval: 1 frames
Fullscreen mode.
Vendor: "b'ATI Technologies Inc.'"
Renderer: b'AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT'
Version: b'4.6.0 Compatibility Profile Context 23.4.3.230420'
Display Info: None
Screen sizes: virtual=(800, 600) physical=(3840, 2160) drawable=(3840, 2160)
Maximum texture size: 4096x4096

Pyrrs

May 18, 2017
it's interesting that the exact same thing with the exact same logs happened (happens) to me, so i'm waiting for someone to help with this issue, because so far it has no practical solution that i know of.

testg

Apr 30, 2017
Same thing for me. Worked just fine for years and then stopped and seems to be graphics card or drivers related. I am however using the PC in RDC only (from my laptop) - that PC is like a media server without a monitor.

NoiceXu

Feb 11, 2020
Wow. I'm on W7, recently RPGMaker games can't start because of googlechome plugin and whatnot. You're telling me it's the case with Renpy game too?

Insomnimaniac Games

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
Wow. I'm on W7, recently RPGMaker games can't start because of googlechome plugin and whatnot. You're telling me it's the case with Renpy game too?
Wouldn't surprise me, W7 support is dropping across the board. But it looks like he's running windows 10, even if it's an old version from back in 2020.