3D-Daz Render Feedback - Are these images too dark to make out what is going on?

Renders too dark to see details?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hongfire Survivor

Mar 28, 2020
I'm going for a tense atmosphere for my first Kinetic Novel, but just because I think they are bright enough, it could be too dark for others.

So I figured I would ask for feedback before continuing and finishing the project.

Thank you for the feedback in advance folks!

zhao hiding 5.png zhao hiding 3.png zhao-fatman 2.png

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
First off, some really nice renders here. Nice composition/framing, use of Dutch angles, and above average lighting.

Answering your questioning about the brightness, I think it's pretty good, but I also have a fairly high end monitor. You have to anticipate that many are going to use be using darker/cheaper monitors that don't quite carry the range of light and dark needed for something like this. I'd probably make it a bit lighter and give it a bit cooler tone. Even just minor grading can do a lot for atmosphere in renders, or photo and flim.

Something like so:

zhao_hiding_5.png

Hongfire Survivor

Mar 28, 2020
First off, some really nice renders here. Nice composition/framing, use of Dutch angles, and above average lighting.

Answering your questioning about the brightness, I think it's pretty good, but I also have a fairly high end monitor. You have to anticipate that many are going to use be using darker/cheaper monitors that don't quite carry the range of light and dark needed for something like this. I'd probably make it a bit lighter and give it a bit cooler tone. Even just minor grading can do a lot for atmosphere in renders, or photo and flim.

Something like so:

View attachment 2412897

Thank you for the compliments!

You bring up a great point about monitors, I'm using an Ultrawide and I have a 1080p monitor I use to try and "test" shots after I'm done.

After dragging this window over to it so I could compare your edit with the original, I really see what you mean with brightness and using a "cool" tone. I also remembered I have an orange light filter on my screen, soo whoops.

Did you make that edit in Photoshop or GIMP?

I've never done any post work on my renders before.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Did you make that edit in Photoshop or GIMP?

I've never done any post work on my renders before.
I did it in Photoshop with Camera Raw, then used a Brightness/Contrast and Color Balance Adjustment layers. I'm not sure how much of an equivalent RawTherapee is to Camera Raw or if GIMP has same type of adjustment layers (Pirating Photoshop is also an option), but here's the settings:

CameraRaw.png
Brightness-Contrast.png
ColorBalance.png

The example I used here was pretty quick and dirty. Which is what you want for a VN. For one-offs, I do have a bit of a deeper process, but nothing that would be beginner friendly.

Hongfire Survivor

Mar 28, 2020
I did it in Photoshop with Camera Raw, then used a Brightness/Contrast and Color Balance Adjustment layers. I'm not sure how much of an equivalent RawTherapee is to Camera Raw or if GIMP has same type of adjustment layers (Pirating Photoshop is also an option)
Wow, thank you for the settings!

Appreciate the quick rundown, I feel like I got the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Good to know I'm on the right path.

I thank you again for taking time out to give this scrub some great tips!

I wish you well in your VNs.