Render quality vs ammount

XephonDev

Game Developer
Dec 1, 2020
Hey all!

I have a question about what you prefer overall. A game that has few renders but realistic and high quality. Or maybe drawn/stylized/lower quality but high number plus with animations?

Machinist

Game Developer
Aug 24, 2020
High number of renders and in high quality.

Jokes aside, that depends, it changes from game to game. If the artist is able to convey what he wants, it's fine by me.

But really, I don't like to read lots and lots of text looking at the same render, feels like nothing is really happening, so if I had to choose it would be a high number of renders in inferior quality.

Reactions: Lussuria

Powerbabe

Game Developer
Aug 1, 2018
High quality scenes/renders is always a true showcase in my book that developers care about their game and are not doing it just for money. Also if a game doesn't have any animations it's perfectly fine, that way developers can put more time into their scenes/renders.

I'll take quality over quantity any time!

Reactions: Lussuria

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
Personally would prefer better quality renders than a higher abundance of lower qual ones

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
My two cents about "high quality" renders: IMHO 80% of achieving high quality renders is paying attention to the results. I get it, it takes a long time to reach the quality you see in the likes of Midnight Paradise but I see people fail to reach much lower standards: flesh peeking out of cloth, hair going into breasts or shoulders, "Daz3d huge sock tits", people floating a centimeter or two from the floor, fingers sinking into flesh or concrete or just releasing renders where the characters wear weird-ass expressions.

The key to releasing good renders is looking at them carefully until you are 100% sure they are the best you can render now.

Mimir's Lab

Game Developer
Sep 30, 2019
For me, I'd prefer not to choose one or the other because I think there is a sweet spot where it's 60% quality, 40% quantity. Having good graphics is nice but I want the ratio of images to words to be much lower than 1:200.