Render Settings and Lights

thebeatman

Jan 5, 2018
Hey guys
Is there a good preset setting where the picture (for renpy) doesn't look grainy so good quality but with the least possible render time? I tried some stuff but i still cant get good results sadly.

Second question, i also have problems with the lights is there any good light presets or stuff you can use to quickly make your scene look good?

Tbh my main problem is that with the background and 2 Actors it takes hours to render and sometimes my pc even crashes.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
@thebeatman: unfortunately you are now on the Daz learning curve. The same problems are faced by nearly every new Daz user - grainy renders, trouble with lighting, slow renders. I know this because I have experienced the same thing and only gradually found answers across many different forums.

The first and simplest answers to the problem of "grainy" renders is... more light! Add spotlights, point lights, emissive lights. Lights from the side, lights from behind! Use HDRi environment, turn up the environment intensity. I'm not joking, just try it. Also. don't forget to disable the auto-headlamp.

If your scene becomes too bright, use the sliders on the Render Settings -> Tone Mapping tab. Experience with (or research into) photography terminology will help you here.

There are many Youtube tutorials about the issue of grainy images - the Iray engine in particular needs a lot of light, otherwise the resultant color/brightness selection for each pixel becomes inconsistent due to the way the raycasting works. And the inconsistent colors makes the surface appear grainy, and there is not a smooth color transition across broad areas. Insufficient light also makes renders take longer, as the render engine struggles to "converge" the pixels.

For light presets, you will struggle to find good ones for anything except portraits, or pre-built Environment specific Lights. I have found the "Iray Ghost Light Kit" (IGLK) product to be very useful however - simple emissive lighting panels with quick "content" based pre-sets for intensity, color etc. Some Daz users complain that emissive lights cause the render to slow down too much, but I've been pretty happy with them so far. The built-in point and spot lights can be used, but just seem hard to work with for me. Perhaps I need to keep moving along the learning curve myself!

Finally, your issue with slow renders (or crashes!) - are you using a powerful rnough Nvidia graphics card for the Iray engine? because if you are trying to do it with just CPU rendering.... you will either need to compromise with very small render image size and simple scenes, or wait a LOOOONG time.

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
Tbh my main problem is that with the background and 2 Actors it takes hours to render and sometimes my pc even crashes.
If your computer takes ages it might be that your pc graphics card is not good for Daz. Daz uses 2 render engines ,. Iray and 3Delight . Iray it's a very good, realistic way of rendering ( try to read a bit more about it as it's quite interesting ) , but it's also very heavy on your GPU. and you need a Nvidia GPU to render with Iray ( Iray it's made by Nvidia to use Nvidia GPU's ). 3Delight is a biased renderer and dosen't look as good as Iray does.
Now, I'm using a 1080 ti , and a scene with 2 gen 8 inside a room, with a couple of lights, take over 2 hours to dender at 1920 x 1080, so if you GPU is a older one, it will take longer.
If your GPU can't hold the memory needed by daz to render the scene, it will dump the work on your CPU and as such your pc will be very slugish ( loook in your task manager to see if it's maxed ).
Post your PC specs and I'll try to help ou further.
I willl post a couple of renders made in Iray and 3Delight for you to be able to seee the diferences.

Reactions: thebeatman

thebeatman

Jan 5, 2018
Thanks guys that was really helpful :)

I just have 1more noob question XD

If i wanna move 2 Actors that are in a pose together how do i move them around without messing the pose up?

Oh and whats the minimum sample rate i should use?

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
AS always very good answers from the F95 community.
My advice is practice and render single model images in rooms not outside or on their own. Indoors is the biggest challenge.
If you using a 1080Ti then you have far superior hardware than most of us.
If you thinking of making your own VN game and you play games yourself then say goodbye to your gaming days and "Hello Render my old friend" ;0)

thebeatman

Jan 5, 2018
AS always very good answers from the F95 community.
My advice is practice and render single model images in rooms not outside or on their own. Indoors is the biggest challenge.
If you using a 1080Ti then you have far superior hardware than most of us.
If you thinking of making your own VN game and you play games yourself then say goodbye to your gaming days and "Hello Render my old friend" ;0)
1080ti lmao i fcking wish haha, and ya working on my own game atm because im tired of all the bad games. Thanky you

evoR

Mar 22, 2018
@thebeatman
I recommend checking and practicing with these, lighting really is crucially important
iRadiance - Light Probe HDR Lighting for Iray (complete bundle)
iRadiance - HDRI Variety Pack One
Dramatic Iray Lights
Render Studio Iray
Much more for iRay

As for settings, Scene Optimizer

Insanepenguin91

Game Developer
May 18, 2017
@thebeatman
I recommend checking and practicing with these, lighting really is crucially important
iRadiance - Light Probe HDR Lighting for Iray (complete bundle)
iRadiance - HDRI Variety Pack One
Dramatic Iray Lights
Render Studio Iray
Much more for iRay

As for settings, Scene Optimizer
I downloaded and installed the scene optimizer but i cant find it in Daz. is it a tab? because i opened all of them and the menus shown in the pictures dont show up for me.

thebeatman

Jan 5, 2018
Hey guys, so i still have problems with consistent light in my rooms because of the walls.
In many games i see that each scene looks the same when it comes to lighting how can they be so consistent?
I dont even need shadows or reflections or stuff like that i just want that every room has the same brightness.
I played around with HDRI but that doesn't work well indoors.
Could i render my scene as a HDRI background and use that for faster renderswith the same environment? If yes how so? Thx again for any help you can provide :)

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
There's an add on called ILPK lighitng see if you can find that. Place it in your room adjust to your liking et voila...

Hey guys, so i still have problems with consistent light in my rooms because of the walls.
In many games i see that each scene looks the same when it comes to lighting how can they be so consistent?
I dont even need shadows or reflections or stuff like that i just want that every room has the same brightness.
I played around with HDRI but that doesn't work well indoors.
Could i render my scene as a HDRI background and use that for faster renderswith the same environment? If yes how so? Thx again for any help you can provide :)

evoR

Mar 22, 2018
I downloaded and installed the scene optimizer but i cant find it in Daz. is it a tab? because i opened all of them and the menus shown in the pictures dont show up for me.
Its under Smart Content -> Products -> All Products / Utilities
Also if you go to Content Library -> Products -> S -> Scene Optimizer you can right-click the icons and Add Custom Action which creates a shortcut in the Scripts drop-down menu at the top menus.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Something I've been noticing for my renders is that usually about 95% of the scene is rendered good enough for me to be satisfied with it after only a minute or 2. The problem is that the remaining 5% of the pixels don't seem to get touched by even 1 iteration until over an hour has passed (those pixels all remain pure white for an hour or longer). Usually it takes about 2 hours for the last grainy pixels to dissapear in my renders. If there was some setting to force daz to give 100% of the pixels at least 1 or 2 passes immediately, a lot of my renders would be acceptable for animations in about 5 minutes instead of 2 hours. The still shots I would want to let render longer for the extra detail.

For some lighting scenarios it's bad enough that those last 1% or so of the pixels never get touched even after 5-10 hours or more of rendering. The fix I've found for that so far is to eliminate light sources.

faramata

Mar 13, 2022
@thebeatman:
The first and simplest answers to the problem of "grainy" renders is... more light! Add spotlights, point lights, emissive lights. Lights from the side, lights from behind! Use HDRi environment, turn up the environment intensity. I'm not joking, just try it. Also. don't forget to disable the auto-headlamp.
Emissives are the slowest. They should be avoided as much as possible. Also HDRIs produce crappy lighting where everything is lit so the images look dull, not to mention sometimes they change how the skin looks.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
From the menu use:
Create -> New Group ... and parent them both to the group. The item you have selecting while creating the group will be automatically parented to the group I think.
You could also just move one into the other via the render tab. Works the same.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Emissives are the slowest. They should be avoided as much as possible. Also HDRIs produce crappy lighting where everything is lit so the images look dull, not to mention sometimes they change how the skin looks.
That is true. But, emissive adds to the overall vibe of the scene. I think one should not use it a sole lighting system but add pointlights for example.
I used to light with primitives but they seem to tax the system more so i switched to point lights instead.
Also de-crap the scene. The lesser is in the scene the better. Meaning anything not in the view.
And finally, use an iray cam. It will cut anything out that isn't in the view and speed up rendering times in that way.
Though there is a lot of experimenting involved.
HDRI is indeed pain but i use HDRI for indoors which are useful. Can't really use outdoor HDRI with indoor scenes. I tried and it looked weird.