Daz Render settings and tips tricks

ashy765

Jun 3, 2018
Hi all, I've been tinkering away at a project lately and I'm curious as to what render settings other people use and if there are things I should or shouldn't be using, I've watched some videos and understand some of it I'm just wondering what other people use... also any other tips or tricks would be helpful too please.. thank you

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
It's pretty dependent on what you're rendering and what you're rendering with (e.g. 1080ti, 4090, etc.).

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I can recommend this video as it explains a little more about render settings and what they mean.

Doesn't answer all questions but most.

Normally, i would just use the default settings but any situation is different. You have different scenes like day or night which may require a different setting.
For example i didn't knew that DAZ has an AI build in that predicts the iterations for rendering. (SSM settings).

I am still struggling with the time needed to render. Though i think it has lesser to do with the render setting than with the asset, light and other factors. Its the most hated aspect of working but also the most exciting one.
I got a 3060. lol... i can sometimes make it to render in 2 minutes for a scene with 3 figures but now i am stuck with 30 minutes because i use bloom.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Hi all, I've been tinkering away at a project lately and I'm curious as to what render settings other people use and if there are things I should or shouldn't be using, I've watched some videos and understand some of it I'm just wondering what other people use... also any other tips or tricks would be helpful too please.. thank you
You'll get a ton of different answers because there's many good ways to do things and many roads to the same destination (a decent render). The only setting we all have in common is probably auto headlamp: NEVER.

I'll throw in one tip you definitely should not overlook in your attempts to do renders: Postwork. For example camera raw filter in photoshop, or using lightroom. You can enhance a lot about your render, go for different styles etc in postwork. Many times small errors like pokethrough are easier to fix in postwork than re-rendering.

Other than that, just fire away with questions here in the forum, it's free and people are helpful. You'll probably get more useful help if you're more specific, include some pictures etc.

Cenc

Game Developer
Jun 22, 2019
I can recommend this video as it explains a little more about render settings and what they mean.

Doesn't answer all questions but most.

Normally, i would just use the default settings but any situation is different. You have different scenes like day or night which may require a different setting.
For example i didn't knew that DAZ has an AI build in that predicts the iterations for rendering. (SSM settings).

I am still struggling with the time needed to render. Though i think it has lesser to do with the render setting than with the asset, light and other factors. Its the most hated aspect of working but also the most exciting one.
I got a 3060. lol... i can sometimes make it to render in 2 minutes for a scene with 3 figures but now i am stuck with 30 minutes because i use bloom.
There's a few things that she doesn't quite get right. The stuff about render quality and canvases to name two.

1684093591807.png

Quick guide to render settings (the only ones that count for time):
  • Max samples (how many iterations the Iray engine will run, if the limit is reached the render stops)
  • Max time (Hold long the render will run for in seconds 7200 is 2 hours. when the limit is reached the render will stop)
  • Rendering Quality Enable (Turn on to enable Iray to check the colour pixels against what is expected)
  • Rendering Quality (How many times it does the above, changing this to 2 will double your render time but (in theory) give a more accurate colour image)
  • Rendering Converged Ratio (This is linked (in a way) to the render quality number, effectively this is how close to accurate you want the image to be, higher % means more accurate but render times increase, as the % gets close to 100% it will take longer to converge and you will see smaller % increments since the difference in colour per pixel will be less (since the colour accuracy is closer to 100%).
  • Max path Length (How many times the light will bounce, set to -1 for 'infinite' which is essentially bounce until the light can bounce no more.
  • Caustic Sampler (turn to on if you have a lot of reflective or see-through surfaces in the scene (mirrors, glasses, etc) This can help guide the Iray engine on how to handle the light hitting these objects.
  • Spectral Rendering (if you have to ask what this is, don't touch it)
  • Tone mapping (It's not worth messing with this until you know what your doing)

Everything else doesn't matter (I'm leaving out Environment cos you should already know what these settings are.)

Note: Max time, Max samples and convergence ratio are 'hard' limits. The Iray engine will keep going until one of those limits is reached, no matter which one it is. If you set a convergence of 99%, a max time of 5 hours but only 10 samples. the render engine will only do 10 samples then stop.

• Red Heart
Reactions: MoonBox

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
CZ-U8_DWQAA0sdu.jpg

In theory, you shouldn't touch gamma. In practice you use it to brute force higher contrast.
It's quite usefull when working on small intricate details (such as skin surfaces).

Vanilla <-> Gamma correction

vanilla.jpg gamma1.jpg

I think most people myself inculded use default render setting (by that I mean not rendering exr beauty canvas), so deal in 8-bit color space. In order to keep details retention in all kind of situations, you may want to lower both Burn highlights and Crush black to the minimum (or near it). Pics should speak better:

details lost <-> details kept

burned.jpg noburn.jpg

Last edited:

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
View attachment 2622917

In theory, you shouldn't touch gamma. In practice you use it to brute force higher contrast.
It's quite usefull when working on small intricate details (such as skin surfaces).

Vanilla <-> Gamma correction

View attachment 2622976 View attachment 2622979

I think most people myself inculded use default render setting (by that I mean not rendering exr beauty canvas), so deal in 8-bit color space. In order to keep details retention in all kind of situations, you may want to lower both Burn highlights and Crush black to the minimum (or near it). Pics should speak better:

details lost <-> details kept

View attachment 2623126 View attachment 2623129
First off, awesome tips.
Second, don't we love that apartment? I have it too. Seem british to me but i love it.

Anyway, the gamma value seems intriguing. Have to play with it. I love the overall vibe of the image. Not overladen with any lighting but very ... stimulating.

Burn and Crush. I never even know what it meant. This wasn't on my camera 40 years ago. So i have educate myself about it but the result look fantastic. Easy sell to me.
My motto is now, make it till you break it. It just look stunning.

btw. your footer video isn't working in the US.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
First off, awesome tips.
Second, don't we love that apartment? I have it too. Seem british to me but i love it.

Anyway, the gamma value seems intriguing. Have to play with it. I love the overall vibe of the image. Not overladen with any lighting but very ... stimulating.

Burn and Crush. I never even know what it meant. This wasn't on my camera 40 years ago. So i have educate myself about it but the result look fantastic. Easy sell to me.
My motto is now, make it till you break it. It just look stunning.

btw. your footer video isn't working in the US.
Gamma thing is a bit controversial & trollish. In theory you shouldn't ever do that and use proper editing software. Keep in mind it affects everything (specularity, shadows fall off, hue/saturation...). That being said, it can be turned into a dirty cheap trick. "Burn and Crush" is more common in various situations.

Last edited:

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Well, i ignored the advise and applied my gamma.
I am intrigued actually. It looks fantastic.
Never mind my figures. Lot's of clipping... the important thing is how it looks.

terst.jpg

i stopped the render at 70%. So it isn't even fully rendered but it looks quite nice i think.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Well, i ignored the advise and applied my gamma.
I am intrigued actually. It looks fantastic.
Never mind my figures. Lot's of clipping... the important thing is how it looks.

i stopped the render at 70%. So it isn't even fully rendered but it looks quite nice i think.
It's more of a warning than an advice, as it's really not "academic" (not that I really care).

Since you are almost there, download .
- Open your image.
- Open preset on the left :
- Color->Matte
- Curve->Lift Shadows
- Vignetting->Heavy

Lightroom_1.jpg

More of the same cheap trick (gamma 1 -> Matte/Lift Shadows) :

Lightroom_2.jpg

If you got too much red due to gamma, sligthly push temperature (temp) to blue-ish :

Lightroom_3.jpg

I guess that's it o/

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
It's more of a warning than an advice, as it's really not "academic" (not that I really care).

Since you are almost there, download .
- Open your image.
- Open preset on the left :
- Color->Matte
- Curve->Lift Shadows
- Vignetting->Heavy

View attachment 2628080

More of the same cheap trick (gamma 1 -> Matte/Lift Shadows) :

View attachment 2628124

If you got too much red due to gamma, sligthly push temperature (temp) to blue-ish :

View attachment 2628125

I guess that's it o/
This sounds like a plan and thanks for the software.

I think this looks all good. It was really fun to do the render and get the right composition of that scene. Not perfect by any means but just to know how to do it, is already worth the try.

I really think this board should have a section where people can look stuff like that up.

What i mostly like about it is the fact that the the tiles speak, this is real. You are standing in a real room. Oh look, there is sun outside.
Though i realize that my render could be a Blondie cover. Funny.

I still struggle if i prefer the after version. Both look good, i think.
But let's do some post work then. :)

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
This sounds like a plan and thanks for the software.

I think this looks all good. It was really fun to do the render and get the right composition of that scene. Not perfect by any means but just to know how to do it, is already worth the try.

I really think this board should have a section where people can look stuff like that up.

What i mostly like about it is the fact that the the tiles speak, this is real. You are standing in a real room. Oh look, there is sun outside.
Though i realize that my render could be a Blondie cover. Funny.

I still struggle if i prefer the after version. Both look good, i think.
But let's do some post work then. :)
It's a small workflow to (try to) achieve pseudo-realism in less than ~15~20 clicks.
Hence already a bit extreme.
Sadly it can't fix terrible skin/lightening/renders tho.

Last edited:

Daughterfun

Aug 26, 2022
Hey guys.
I'm new to Daz3D Studio and I'm happy to take tips and tricks.
Here is my first rendered image.
The goal for me is to create a renpy game with nic
Hey guys.
I'm new to Daz3D Studio and I'm happy to take tips and tricks.
Here is my first rendered image.
The goal for me is to create a renpy game with nicely rendered images.
Please for tips for outdoor and indoor lighting
Thanks
First render Test.png