Daz Render Settings for FHD resolution & batch render

MaxGamez

Game Developer
Jan 24, 2023
I am getting noise issues with render, I want a FHD resolution image. I saw that rendering in higher resolution and then scaling them down will help it. But I use RTX 2060 super, will this help me get rid of white noises? and I had kept the samples at 3000 and 3500 for FHD but the noise still remained. I am using a Kitchen Light (morning) pack, so I guess it needs more samples than I am doing? plus noise is an issue in all my renders not sure about the issue and with more samples time to render increases and I don't have a proper batch rendering tool. I have tried 3 tools they don't work, except one tool and that tool renders perspective view.
Render will take more time if I use more samples, plus a batch rendering tool is necessary. Please help me

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
There's a lot of things that play into what causes noise. It's not always the amount of samples. It's the reflections (e.g. Noise traps), the amount of shiny objects, the lights and shadows + the amount thereof. The sharpness and harshness of lights. Hell, even VDBs and Depth of Field can pack in the noise.

The reality is, even the best renders are going to have noise sometimes. That's why denoisers exist. While I wouldn't say that the Daz in-built denoiser is the best, it gets the job done. I doubt you're at the point where you're thinking about using the original noisy render + a denoised render and mixing them for a happy medium, so for now, it'd just be best to learn proper lighting as that's going to limit your noise.

All that being said, if you're not after skin/hair detail, then denoising within Daz might be the way to go. It'll speed up your renders and eliminate most of your noise, at the cost of the aforementioned detail.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
I am getting noise issues with render, I want a FHD resolution image. I saw that rendering in higher resolution and then scaling them down will help it. But I use RTX 2060 super, will this help me get rid of white noises? and I had kept the samples at 3000 and 3500 for FHD but the noise still remained. I am using a Kitchen Light (morning) pack, so I guess it needs more samples than I am doing? plus noise is an issue in all my renders not sure about the issue and with more samples time to render increases and I don't have a proper batch rendering tool. I have tried 3 tools they don't work, except one tool and that tool renders perspective view.
Render will take more time if I use more samples, plus a batch rendering tool is necessary. Please help me
If you've tried 3, I assume manfriday's is one of them? I'm using it and it works great. The only issue I've had is that a couple of times (out of hundreds of uses) it's stopped before completing the whole batch.

As for renders, noise, and all that, I'll offer a slightly different take on it. I do all my renders (except monthly wallpapers) in 1920*1080. Early on I sent some renders to some players of my game. Both full-blown all out 20.000 iterations no denoise, and 5000 interation denoised ones with the internal daz denoiser.

Only one guy (I think out of five) said he could see a noticeable difference and even that was minimal. Now there ARE differences, and graphics nerds (not used offensively!) can point them out. But we're not doing fine arts here, most of us... So at that point I just said fuck it, and now I'm doing 5000 iterations Daz denoised renders across the board. There is one exception: closeup of lips. Eyes are fine imho, but the denoiser does not play nice with the fine lines in closeups of lips.

You can do almost identical renders in most cases with less iterations too, but some details need several thousand iterations to come out in the render, in particular reflections, especially specular highlights in the eyes.

Now some people will say I'm all wrong about this, and I might be. But on my list of important things in an image, the difference between denoised or not doesn't even make the top 10. Instead what really matters are things like lighting, textures/shaders, composition and posing. And postwork! Never forget postwork.

PS
When it comes to Daz and rendering I'm just a babbling amateur with opinions. Take the above for what it is.

MaxGamez

Game Developer
Jan 24, 2023
There's a lot of things that play into what causes noise. It's not always the amount of samples. It's the reflections (e.g. Noise traps), the amount of shiny objects, the lights and shadows + the amount thereof. The sharpness and harshness of lights. Hell, even VDBs and Depth of Field can pack in the noise.

The reality is, even the best renders are going to have noise sometimes. That's why denoisers exist. While I wouldn't say that the Daz in-built denoiser is the best, it gets the job done. I doubt you're at the point where you're thinking about using the original noisy render + a denoised render and mixing them for a happy medium, so for now, it'd just be best to learn proper lighting as that's going to limit your noise.

All that being said, if you're not after skin/hair detail, then denoising within Daz might be the way to go. It'll speed up your renders and eliminate most of your noise, at the cost of the aforementioned detail.
Thanks for responding, with a detailed explanation
BatchRender works but does rendering from perspective view, I have installed Render Queue 3 but I don't see it Panes. Or maybe I did a mistake while installing? I am not sure, same with BatchRenderer it doesn't show.
As for noise, I think it mostly probably of lighting details some need more rendering but I am not sure about the sampling value, since I would like not to waste more time by increasing sampling if there are ways where I can optimize the render settings in anyway possible.

MaxGamez

Game Developer
Jan 24, 2023
If you've tried 3, I assume manfriday's is one of them? I'm using it and it works great. The only issue I've had is that a couple of times (out of hundreds of uses) it's stopped before completing the whole batch.

As for renders, noise, and all that, I'll offer a slightly different take on it. I do all my renders (except monthly wallpapers) in 1920*1080. Early on I sent some renders to some players of my game. Both full-blown all out 20.000 iterations no denoise, and 5000 interation denoised ones with the internal daz denoiser.

Only one guy (I think out of five) said he could see a noticeable difference and even that was minimal. Now there ARE differences, and graphics nerds (not used offensively!) can point them out. But we're not doing fine arts here, most of us... So at that point I just said fuck it, and now I'm doing 5000 iterations Daz denoised renders across the board. There is one exception: closeup of lips. Eyes are fine imho, but the denoiser does not play nice with the fine lines in closeups of lips.

You can do almost identical renders in most cases with less iterations too, but some details need several thousand iterations to come out in the render, in particular reflections, especially specular highlights in the eyes.

Now some people will say I'm all wrong about this, and I might be. But on my list of important things in an image, the difference between denoised or not doesn't even make the top 10. Instead what really matters are things like lighting, textures/shaders, composition and posing. And postwork! Never forget postwork.

PS
When it comes to Daz and rendering I'm just a babbling amateur with opinions. Take the above for what it is.
Thanks for your reply,
what is postwork and composition by the way?
I am the newbie here. Since I am not familiar with many things, I don't know any developer who use Daz3d so I don't have much idea on how developer with some experience does the work.
The person with experience has solution for the problems, doubts newbies have.
and then I think 5000 iteration might most probably reduce the noise, I am using renpy and I have already made UI with FHD resolution so, I can't backout anymore lol.
I have installed manfriday's but I don't see the option in the panes tab.
and yeah some scenes demand different iteration, so do you render them separately?

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Thanks for your reply,
what is postwork and composition by the way?
I am the newbie here. Since I am not familiar with many things, I don't know any developer who use Daz3d so I don't have much idea on how developer with some experience does the work.
The person with experience has solution for the problems, doubts newbies have.
and then I think 5000 iteration might most probably reduce the noise, I am using renpy and I have already made UI with FHD resolution so, I can't backout anymore lol.
I have installed manfriday's but I don't see the option in the panes tab.
and yeah some scenes demand different iteration, so do you render them separately?
Hey!
Postwork: It's anything you do with the render after Daz is done with it. Examples of what I do: Fix small things like a bit of a body poking through the clothes, or a little bit of black lines on the head you didn't notice earlier. These can be dealt with a lot faster in photoshop, than it'd be to re-render the image. The other simple but pretty big thing is to apply some filters. I do it in lightroom classic because I find it easier to do in batch than for example photoshop. You can play with contrasts and exposure and whatnot. There are a lot of other simple and more advanced things you can do in postwork.

Daz3d: There's tons and tons of guides on the net and on here to read. Search any topic and you'll find answers. And you can ask on these forums, lots of helpful people around.

Denoiser: To test out the built-in one, go to the render options, filtering tab. post denoiser available -> On, post denoiser enable -> on, post denoiser start interation -> 1. Do NOT turn on post denoiser denoise alpha. some things might look slightly different depending on daz version.

Best way to learn and see differences is just test stuff, try this, try that, compare.

Manfriday's render queue: It's in the Render menu at the top, drop it down and it's at the bottom. Select it and it should be self explanatory. For different iterations, just save them with more iterations if you want more, the batchrenderer will follow the settings of each save. Of course, you won't know beforehand when "enough" is reached. 5000 and denoiser is kind of always enough for my needs though, I have all other render limits (time, quality) OFF.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
Postwork filters, this is a base render and two different filters slapped on to it. You can alter images a lot more than this. Just find settings you like and think improves your images. Or not if you prefer your base render. If it's for a game or image series, just remember to add the same to a batch of renders that are in the same "scene" so it doesn't jump around like crazy.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: MaxGamez

MaxGamez

Game Developer
Jan 24, 2023
Hey!
Postwork: It's anything you do with the render after Daz is done with it. Examples of what I do: Fix small things like a bit of a body poking through the clothes, or a little bit of black lines on the head you didn't notice earlier. These can be dealt with a lot faster in photoshop, than it'd be to re-render the image. The other simple but pretty big thing is to apply some filters. I do it in lightroom classic because I find it easier to do in batch than for example photoshop. You can play with contrasts and exposure and whatnot. There are a lot of other simple and more advanced things you can do in postwork.

Daz3d: There's tons and tons of guides on the net and on here to read. Search any topic and you'll find answers. And you can ask on these forums, lots of helpful people around.

Denoiser: To test out the built-in one, go to the render options, filtering tab. post denoiser available -> On, post denoiser enable -> on, post denoiser start interation -> 1. Do NOT turn on post denoiser denoise alpha. some things might look slightly different depending on daz version.

Best way to learn and see differences is just test stuff, try this, try that, compare.

Manfriday's render queue: It's in the Render menu at the top, drop it down and it's at the bottom. Select it and it should be self explanatory. For different iterations, just save them with more iterations if you want more, the batchrenderer will follow the settings of each save. Of course, you won't know beforehand when "enough" is reached. 5000 and denoiser is kind of always enough for my needs though, I have all other render limits (time, quality) OFF.
I just wanted to know how developers do stuff, cause we have to work on many images not just one, and best way to do that.
Thanks for the info I will try that out!
where did you download the render queue? from this site?
Cause I can't find that

Can I please get your discord ID? so I can chat with you there, and please drop some tips here. So it will help others who are confused like me.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
I just wanted to know how developers do stuff, cause we have to work on many images not just one, and best way to do that.
Thanks for the info I will try that out!
where did you download the render queue? from this site?
Cause I can't find that

Can I please get your discord ID? so I can chat with you there, and please drop some tips here. So it will help others who are confused like me.
You can ask anything here, it's a great place.

You can find Manfriday's render queue here:
If you want to pirate it I can't help you. I don't believe in piracy ;)

I should be GamesMtP on discord, it was something else with numbers before they redid stuff. That said, I think it'd mostly be a mistake to ask me stuff on discord instead of asking them on this forum for a few reasons:
1. You'll probably get faster answers here, where there's many helpful people who replies to questions.
2. You'll get more points of view and different ways to do things if questions are asked in a public place. How I do things might not be the best, or suitable for you. There's almost always several solutions to a Daz problem.
3. There's people here who know more than I do, for example MissFortune who also replied in this thread. It'd be a shame to miss their input. :)

Reactions: MaxGamez

MaxGamez

Game Developer
Jan 24, 2023
You can ask anything here, it's a great place.

You can find Manfriday's render queue here:
If you want to pirate it I can't help you. I don't believe in piracy ;)

I should be GamesMtP on discord, it was something else with numbers before they redid stuff. That said, I think it'd mostly be a mistake to ask me stuff on discord instead of asking them on this forum for a few reasons:
1. You'll probably get faster answers here, where there's many helpful people who replies to questions.
2. You'll get more points of view and different ways to do things if questions are asked in a public place. How I do things might not be the best, or suitable for you. There's almost always several solutions to a Daz problem.
3. There's people here who know more than I do, for example MissFortune who also replied in this thread. It'd be a shame to miss their input. :)
There is one thing which I am very confused about is the resolution, i can use HD images from Daz3d and scale it to dimensions of full hd in renpy with some codes? will it have any drawbacks? cause I need the same resolutions my GPU is not that powerful to render it fast.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
There is one thing which I am very confused about is the resolution, i can use HD images from Daz3d and scale it to dimensions of full hd in renpy with some codes? will it have any drawbacks? cause I need the same resolutions my GPU is not that powerful to render it fast.
The proper route would be to render it as a .png and then in postwork use some software designed for upscaling to do that and make that part of your postwork routine with applying filters, converting to webp, and whatever else you might want to do.

I have no idea what a good program for it is, I've never upscaled anything in my life. Some quality loss is unavoidable of course.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
When scaling up or down you generally want to do it by full increments for the best results. To go from 720 to 1080 is a factor of 1,5. This means every old pixel becomes 1,5 pixels on the X axis by 1,5 pixels on the Y axis. So the program you use has to guess at or average all those pixels that don't line up perfectly.
Generally this isn't a big issue but with stark colour contrasts between two pixels you might get some weirdness on the edges. (Tom Scott made a video about this years ago. Sorry couldn't find it quickly.)
For 720P the next best upscale would be 1440P (a factor of 2) as the program would just have to make every pixel, 2 on the X-axis and 2 on the Y axis.
Though I'm guessing most algorithms do more fancy magic than that is should still in theory produce better results overall.

Why you would do that? If you plan to distribute with a lossless format like PNG I don't know. You can't add detail. all your doing is making bigger files to annoy your customers. Also the upscaler built into Ren'Py (or used by Ren'Py) is quite good.
If you plan on using a lossy format like jpeg to distribute your game it will be useful to upscale before converting from png to that format. Lossy means part of the image data is thrown away so file sizes can be much smaller. It leads to a slightly lower quality for file sizes that are a lot smaller. So upscaling the file before you change to that format does preserve more detail.