Render time DAZ3d

Klauw1988

Aug 23, 2020
Hello everyone,

I've just started to learn DAZ3D and it's easier then I thought it would be. I've been using Virt a Mate to create renders, but the lack of male's clothing wants me to switch towards DAZ3D. But the main thing that bothers me about DAZ3D is that the skin textures looks to much "plastic" and other issue I have is the render time. When I go through the shop, I can see many models and items looking to "clean" or to "plastic".

I just created a fast scene, to learn how everyhing works. This render cost me 1 hour and 12 minutes to render, which is way to long and I'm still not happy with the results. Afcourse this render is 4k, I can switch to 1080p but i'm not so happy with the results. And it took so long to render, maybe i'm doing something wrong.

render1.jpg

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
render time can very on everyone computer and skills... so render times will be different so we really can't say

what are you computer spec?

Klauw1988

Aug 23, 2020
render time can very on everyone computer and skills... so render times will be different so we really can't say

what are you computer spec?
Ryzen 7 1800x
MSI GTX 1080
16gb 3200mhz
1TB M.2 SSD Western Digital
750gb SSD Samsung SATA 3

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
I just created a fast scene, to learn how everyhing works. This render cost me 1 hour and 12 minutes to render, which is way to long and I'm still not happy with the results. Afcourse this render is 4k, I can switch to 1080p but i'm not so happy with the results. And it took so long to render, maybe i'm doing something wrong.
It's very difficult to have an opinion about the render speed without knowing how many iterations you did. In my opinion, you should turn off render quality and max time and go by iterations and find a number where you're happy with the quality (try 5k and 10k for example). Different scenes might require different number of iterations, you can lower it if you use the denoiser and are happy with the results from that.

Anyway, when I do 4k, it takes roughly three times as long as 1080p. I don't have a great eye for art and I can't really spot the difference without zooming.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I'll try to be concise about it without going into a long spiel about your rig or what you're doing wrong. It's easier than you thought it'd be because, to put it nicely, you're scratching the surface of what Daz can do.

Ryzen 7 1800x
MSI GTX 1080
16gb 3200mhz
1TB M.2 SSD Western Digital
750gb SSD Samsung SATA 3
That 1080 is going to be the limiter for you. As it stands with Daz being so dependent on a GPU, I'd have a hard time recommending anything less than an upper-end 16-series card. A 1080 can do it, but you'll be spending a lot of time optimizing textures to fit within the VRAM clearance of the card. Would also consider moving up to 32GB of RAM. It's dirt cheap, especially non-RGB.

But the main thing that bothers me about DAZ3D is that the skin textures looks to much "plastic" and other issue I have is the render time. When I go through the shop, I can see many models and items looking to "clean" or to "plastic".
Because Daz models are made with the 'idea' human in mind. A lot of them are made to look perfect, and even symmetrical, which is what ultimately gives off that 'uncanny valley' type look. But as far as the plastic goes? That all depends on the model, which generation of genesis you're using, and even the lighting. There's so much more to realism in 3D than just stick model [here] > Put a single spotlight in [here] > Profit. You have to play with bump/normal maps and get the lighting right. That's just the tip of the iceberg. In the image below, I'm using an 8.1 Male figure with an HDRI for the overall light source with just a small spotlight used to rim the short side of the arm to give it that 'sheen' sort of look while highlighting the texture of the skin (which I had a bit too high here.). And by most standards, that's about as simple lighting is going to get. You aren't going to get this look with the Basic/Base Genesis models. The textures just aren't there, and Daz wants it that way.

presintro11.png

I just created a fast scene, to learn how everyhing works. This render cost me 1 hour and 12 minutes to render, which is way to long and I'm still not happy with the results. Afcourse this render is 4k,
4K is about eight million pixels. 1080 is two million. It's obviously going to take longer when you essentially triple the pixel count. When you're rendering Turn off "Rendering Quality" and drag "Max Time" all the way down to zero. If you're doing 1080p renders, 2000 to 2500 samples should do the trick. If you continue to do 4K, 5000 to 7000 should usually do the trick (and you can stop it before it finishes entirely if it looks good to you.). Though, I'd highly recoomend you avoid 4K with a GTX 1080. Stick with 1080p renders until you can upgrade.

Klauw1988

Aug 23, 2020
Thanks for all the information, I will look in to it.

But one thing isn't correct. I checked my performace of my computer when I was rendering the render. My CPU was up to 90 to 95% in use.

DAZ3D didn't even used much GPU power when rendering. It was only being used for like 5% or something. So rendering is CPU based and not GPU. As for the "plastic" skin. That's just what I notice in a lot of models being offered in the store and in novels that I have played.

I like the tattoo, but the skin looks to clean and to glossy. This is exactly what I mean. Don't get me wrong, it still looks better then what many people uses, but it's not really my taste. Skin could use a bit more detail and less glossy. Check my last render in this comment. Save the picture and zoom in on the hands. If you have any good sources for skin textures for DAZ3D, please let me know!

I even make 9k renders in VaM, which works almost perfectly. And these are just Genesis 2 models. But DAZ3D comes with easier tools which I like, more assets, Genesis 8 and 8.1. Only the render times put me off.

Don't mind the nipple glitching on this screenshot. Haven't notice it when I took the render.

Last edited:

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
here is my render I just did but a quick render with a bad posing though
Total Rendering Time: 1 hours 31 minutes 26.41 seconds
2022-08-27 21:52:59.589 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend info : Device statistics:
2022-08-27 21:52:59.589 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060): 2974 iterations, 2.484s init, 5465.054s render

4k test 131.22.png

Thanks for all the information, I will look in to it.

But one thing isn't correct. I checked my performace of my computer when I was rendering the computer. My CPU was up to 90 to 95% in use.

DAZ3D didn't even used much GPU power when rendering. It was only being used for like 5% or something. So rendering is CPU based and no GPU.
make sure you unchecked the cpu

Untitled-1.png

Klauw1988

Aug 23, 2020
here is my render I just did but a quick render with a bad posing though
Total Rendering Time: 1 hours 31 minutes 26.41 seconds
2022-08-27 21:52:59.589 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend info : Device statistics:
2022-08-27 21:52:59.589 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060): 2974 iterations, 2.484s init, 5465.054s render

View attachment 2009249

make sure you unchecked the cpu

View attachment 2009251
Ah thank you, I will try that. I believe I had around the same iterations, around 2500. If it was just 10 minutes per render, it would be fine. But making up to 22 renders per day, is way to long. And I don't wanna lose quality though.

I will turn down to 1080p, that's not a big issue. You also made it in 4k. I wanted to create a 4k version and a 1080p version novel. And people can decide what to download, because I also don't wanna force GBs of download, only to people who really want it.

But with DAZ3D, I can scrap 4k. That's not a issue. But with VaM, it loses a lot of details to be honest.

I can try a test how long it takes for rendering a 1080p render.

EDIT: I left all the settings the same but changed from 4k to 1080p and it goes indeed way faster. But I haven't enabled my GPU yet. That's going to be my next test. I wonder how this render will turn out in the end. I don't use my full memory nor my GPU, only my CPU. So, later I try the same settings but then with my GPU checked instead of my CPU.

test_DAZ3d.jpg

Last edited:

Klauw1988

Aug 23, 2020
This took me 25 min to render. I just put something fast together to try, messed the lighting a bit up. But anyhow, changing to 1080p reduce the time a lot. But somehow i'm not happy with the results. Should try to get a bit better light and try again, with changing some settings here and there.

test1.jpg

EDIT: I unchecked CPU and it won me around 3 minutes. It took me 22 min to render with all the same settings. Just made the light a bit brigther. It's not perfect but this is just for testing. I will look in to lighting later. First I want to balance a good quality and render time. I understand that each scene can be different. But waiting so long for a single render is just a bit to long.

test2.jpg

Last edited:

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I could be wrong since I don't render much with DAZ, but doesn't DAZ switch to CPU rendering when your scene doesn't fit into the GPU memory? Maybe try rendering a very small scene, like just a character without hair.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I could be wrong since I don't render much with DAZ, but doesn't DAZ switch to CPU rendering when your scene doesn't fit into the GPU memory?
Only if you have "Allow CPU Fallback" still checked, as far as I'm aware. If you have it unchecked, and the scene can't fit within the VRAM of your GPU, you'll just get a 'completed' black render.

Saint_RNG

Game Developer
Apr 2, 2018
22 minutes doesn't sound too bad for a 1080.
However, there are some small tricks you can do to counteract this.

First, you can manually tell Daz to stop rendering after a certain amount of time, for example in the screen below the render will stop after 300 seconds (5 minutes) OR after 15000 itérations (the first one he reaches.), no matter how complete the render is.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

BUT that doesn't mean that your rendering is finished ! As long as you haven't clicked on the Save button, it's still possible to improve it.