Render time seems long?

Ilyana

May 15, 2018
Hi just a new dev/artist. I recently did my first renders but they feel like they took a very long time I did a single figure ghost lighting test with no clothes just hair, makeup and a two accessories and it took around 30 minutes for a 16:9 1920x1080 render.

I searched around to see render times and people with hugely more complex scenes seem to completing renders in half the time. Just wondering if this is normal. I just attached some of my render settings and the scene. If anyone could just let me know that these are normal render times or not that'd be great.

My PC Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
GPU: EVGA 2070 Super KO 8GB

Test.png render2.png render1.png render3.png

Reactions: Madmanator99

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Yeah, as no__name said, a bit too much SSS, you can see it on the nose (the light gets "under" the skin and it gives it that tint based on the color you have for that surface' SSS). Also, the complexity of a scene can jump up immensely just from the hair prop/shader that is used. And the hair you use is realy detailed, so it adds to the render time. I do like the render btw!

Also in general, the more "hard" shadows you have (areas where no light shines directly), the longer it takes for the light to bounce and reach those areas, and therefor it takes longer to reach 95% convergence. So using very faint lights where you have your shadows can help speed the render, then post-edit to bring those shadows black if need be (for exemple using Photoshop's Highlights tool).

One more option is to increase the Film ISO (found under Tone Mapping in the Render Settings), but not by too much, it basically makes the camera more sensitive to the light, and thus it registers the rays faster, at the cost of brightening the scene and losing some details. At least it's what I noticed when I played with that setting. A Film ISO at 125, or even 150 (it's pushing it a bit) made my renders a bit faster. Maybe a 110 is enought. Then some post editing to bring the shadows back.

Overall, the details of your render are on-par with a 30 minute render imo, so yeah, faster renders will require a loss of details, but that loss can be mitigated by using different techniques that can allow you to keep most of them.

Last edited:

Ilyana

May 15, 2018
Yeah, as no__name said, a bit too much SSS, you can see it on the nose (the light gets "under" the skin and it gives it that tint based on the color you have for that surface' SSS). Also, the complexity of a scene can jump up immensely just from the hair prop/shader that is used. And the hair you use is realy detailed, so it adds to the render time. I do like the render btw!

Also in general, the more "hard" shadows you have (areas where no light shines directly), the longer it takes for the light to bounce and reach those areas, and therefor it takes longer to reach 95% convergence. So using very faint lights where you have your shadows can help speed the render, then post-edit to bring those shadows black if need be (for exemple using Photoshop's Highlights tool).

One more option is to increase the Film ISO (found under Tone Mapping in the Render Settings), but not by too much, it basically makes the camera more sensitive to the light, and thus it registers the rays faster, at the cost of brightening the scene and losing some details. At least it's what I noticed when I played with that setting. A Film ISO at 125, or even 150 (it's pushing it a bit) made my renders a bit faster. Maybe a 110 is enought. Then some post editing to bring the shadows back.

Overall, the details of your render are on-par with a 30 minute render imo, so yeah, faster renders will require a loss of details, but that loss can be mitigated by using different techniques that can allow you to keep most of them.
Hey thanks a bunch for the advice I will keep that in mind. Especially the SSS. I didn't know about the ISO light registry I will definitely give that a shot on my next test render. Might alter the hairstyle to a simpler design. Hopefully my 2nd render will be better!

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Your render is great, very detailed, most devs "cheat" to gain render time, but your render is realy good imo!

But yeah, for your own convenience, try some "cheats", there are many tricks and tips to speed up render times while keeping a good level of details :) Sometimes stoping a render at 80%-90% convergence can be enought to gain over 10-15 minutes, then using some denoiser to get rid of the white spots, then with some post-editing (maybe re-adding some slight noise, or contrast, or sharpness, etc) and done! Honestly, no one will be trying to spot every single pixel.

Reactions: Ilyana

Ilyana

May 15, 2018
Your render is great, very detailed, most devs "cheat" to gain render time, but your render is realy good imo!

But yeah, for your own convenience, try some "cheats", there are many tricks and tips to speed up render times while keeping a good level of details :) Sometimes stoping a render at 80%-90% convergence can be enought to gain over 10-15 minutes, then using some denoiser to get rid of the white spots, then with some post-editing (maybe re-adding some slight noise, or contrast, or sharpness, etc) and done! Honestly, no one will be trying to spot every single pixel.
Only villain does that. Don't be a villain.

View attachment 889812
I managed to do a more complex render in 6 minutes at 100% convergence after fiddling with stuff like the ISO I think i fixed the SSS had to figure out the transmitted distance and translucency weight. The ISO adjustment as well that was a nice tip! I think i also altered the hair shader but I'm unsure about that one lmao. Still need to work on my clothing skills especially the skirt bloom and shirt stretching but for my 2nd render I learned a lot. But many thanks!

Also denoisers are sin.
BodyRender1.png

Last edited:

Cenc

Game Developer
Jun 22, 2019
A Little bit of clipping on the skirt, and the shirt stretching could be fixed by an asset like fit control.

However the main reason for the time to render is that the second image is more zoomed out. if you go in close to a model more detail will be on display and this takes longer to render.

30 mins, is about right for the GPU you have. render times all depends on many, many, MANY factors - one of which is light. More light, normally speeds up a render, however more light sources can slow it down.

Your first render was very good, consider adding a eye light when doing closeups, and adjusting the tone mapping settings for the skin (unless your intending for the ghostly pale look)

Ilyana

May 15, 2018
A Little bit of clipping on the skirt, and the shirt stretching could be fixed by an asset like fit control.

However the main reason for the time to render is that the second image is more zoomed out. if you go in close to a model more detail will be on display and this takes longer to render.

30 mins, is about right for the GPU you have. render times all depends on many, many, MANY factors - one of which is light. More light, normally speeds up a render, however more light sources can slow it down.

Your first render was very good, consider adding a eye light when doing closeups, and adjusting the tone mapping settings for the skin (unless your intending for the ghostly pale look)
Still learning the clothing nice recommendation on fit control.

The rendering time made a lot more sense but in comparison to another zoom out i tested it was longer by a few minutes so it was nice to see it speed up a little but true its a lot of factors. Gotta take the small victories, :)

Eye light and tone mapping will keep in mind! Thanks for the advice.

Mar 4, 2022
Still learning the clothing nice recommendation on fit control.

The rendering time made a lot more sense but in comparison to another zoom out i tested it was longer by a few minutes so it was nice to see it speed up a little but true its a lot of factors. Gotta take the small victories, :)

Eye light and tone mapping will keep in mind! Thanks for the advice.
Hi just a new dev/artist. I recently did my first renders but they feel like they took a very long time I did a single figure ghost lighting test with no clothes just hair, makeup and a two accessories and it took around 30 minutes for a 16:9 1920x1080 render.

I searched around to see render times and people with hugely more complex scenes seem to completing renders in half the time. Just wondering if this is normal. I just attached some of my render settings and the scene. If anyone could just let me know that these are normal render times or not that'd be great.

My PC Specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
GPU: EVGA 2070 Super KO 8GB

View attachment 888978 View attachment 888982 View attachment 888983 View attachment 888984
dude, please share your sss settings. This render looks really good.