Daz Render with greenish artifacts

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
So, here is my problem.
I am getting some greenish artifacts in my renders. Though this is probably the room, its unsatisfying.

I like to prefers the rooms own lightning system and not add additional light.
But i also changed my render settings a little.
I have a before denoise image and one after. Honestly, i could not tell which is which.

Maybe its the setting or something else. Or do i really add light to it?

Any help is appreciate it.
The samples was the biggest change i did. Now the goal was to get still good renders but not wait for 5000 samples (which can take some time).
Now i wonder, maybe it does need that many samples. I haven't tried though.

Thanks as always

p.s. this is the asset i use. Forgot.

34desertmotel.png 34desertmotel.jpg 2022-07-22 09_46_37-DAZ Studio 4.20 Pro.jpg 2022-07-22 09_46_54-DAZ Studio 4.20 Pro.jpg 2022-07-22 09_47_10-DAZ Studio 4.20 Pro.jpg 2022-07-22 09_47_21-DAZ Studio 4.20 Pro.jpg 2022-07-22 09_47_32-DAZ Studio 4.20 Pro.jpg

Last edited:

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
So, here is my problem.
I am getting some greenish artifacts in my renders. Though this is probably the room, its unsatisfying.

But i also changed my render settings a little.
I have a before denoise image and one after. Honestly, i could not tell which is which.

Maybe its the setting or something else. Or do i really add light to it?

Any help is appreciate it.
The samples was the biggest change i did. Now the goal was to get still good renders but not wait for 5000 samples (which can take some time).
Now i wonder, maybe it does need that many samples. I haven't tried though.

Thanks as always

p.s. this is the asset i use. Forgot.

View attachment 1939719 View attachment 1939720 View attachment 1939721 View attachment 1939722 View attachment 1939723 View attachment 1939724 View attachment 1939725
Well, lets answer.

So here is what i did.

I increased the iteration again.
But i limited the time it can take.
It did improve it and at the same time there is a time limit to ensure it doesn't take forever.
I usually render over night and of course, every scene is different. So every scene needs perhaps a different setting.
Though this looks great to me.
600 sec for the render and 5000 iterations. Whatever comes first.

Here is the results from that.
I suppose you can have it render for ever but that would be silly. Well, at least that is what i came up with.

test_nivida.png

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Turn off render quality enabled, why people use that is beyond me. Set max iterations for 3000 and see how long it takes and go from there.

OR as a test run 500 iterations and set the denoiser at 499

You should remove lights that come with scenes and create your own. They are designed to make the make the room look good in the promo render, not to make your character look good.

The green tinge could be reflection from his shirt.

It would help if you told us what graphics card you are using and we can tell you if we think its taking too long etc and help you optimise the scene. I'd knock that out in within 30 minutes on my pretty decent card.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
34desertmotel.png

If I had to venture a guess, it looks like it might be caused by whatever's in front and underneath him. Is that a screen in front of him? Is it on? Could also be the paper or mat underneath it. As for what's causing it? Could possibly be some kind of SSS issue, but unlikely. I've also seen a similar effect to this with after messing with some of the spectral rendering, but yours are identical to what I use, so that obviously isn't it. Though, basing it off of what you described, it sounds like a mix of the harsh built-in lighting from the environment and not letting it render long enough.

Built-in scene lighting is almost never good (there's some exceptions out there, but most just exist for promotional renders). Learning how to light a scene manually can go a long way, imo.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Turn off render quality enabled, why people use that is beyond me. Set max iterations for 3000 and see how long it takes and go from there.

OR as a test run 500 iterations and set the denoiser at 499

You should remove lights that come with scenes and create your own. They are designed to make the make the room look good in the promo render, not to make your character look good.

The green tinge could be reflection from his shirt.

It would help if you told us what graphics card you are using and we can tell you if we think its taking too long etc and help you optimise the scene. I'd knock that out in within 30 minutes on my pretty decent card.
Alright.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II (MS-7C02)
16 GBytes
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
12287 MByte of GDDR6 SDRAM [Hynix]

Render quality? Oh my. I use pretty much the standard. So the only thing was to reduce the iteration which speed up the render for sure.
But it wasn't really quality. At least when its darker.

Ah, and i thought (newbie) that the lights had a purpose. But i'll get it. So you have to add like ghostlights to the lamps and stuff.
Makes sense. More work of course.

I think the green was from the environment. It had a green tint. Probably the lamps. Not sure actually.

Let me try your suggestion. I really would love to find a middle ground so i don't have to do for every scene a new setting.

Thanks for responding.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
View attachment 1940363

If I had to venture a guess, it looks like it might be caused by whatever's in front and underneath him. Is that a screen in front of him? Is it on? Could also be the paper or mat underneath it. As for what's causing it? Could possibly be some kind of SSS issue, but unlikely. I've also seen a similar effect to this with after messing with some of the spectral rendering, but yours are identical to what I use, so that obviously isn't it. Though, basing it off of what you described, it sounds like a mix of the harsh built-in lighting from the environment and not letting it render long enough.

Built-in scene lighting is almost never good (there's some exceptions out there, but most just exist for promotional renders). Learning how to light a scene manually can go a long way, imo.
Yes, lol.

iI have to admit that i thought it would be easy with the build in light. What a fool am i?
So i will try that scene with some light that i add. I actually had that already but i tried to use gaustic sampler and everything went in overexposure for some reason. Later, that was before i realized that it was that gaustic sampler, i removed my light.

I do like light and i do strive to have it behave like in real life. Light coming from the windows, lamps.. etc.. But that takes a lot of work. So my plan is to setup the lights first before doing anything else.
And yes. This greenish light is from the room. Not really sure which one of the items it is but i think its a good idea to disable the build lights.
It drives me sometimes nuts if i don't know what it is.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that as well.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060
Mine is a 3060 TI in theory I can render say a third faster than you at guess, once again guessing, that scene should be only taking you 40 minutes as it is.

Light coming from the windows, lamps
Lamps are always in the wrong spot, you can light them really low for the look or move them, but dont rely on them for lighting, you are trying to light the character, the room is a second thought.

Light through window -

You can do this -

Daz for some reason wont allow sun sky and scene lights but there is a work around. Put it on dome and scene and remove any HDRI and will revert to the default sun sky as the HDRI.

Go out in perspective mode and place a camera at the veiwport location so it appears here.
sun1.png

Then in render settings set it to the sun node

sun2.png

Then in iray view mode, looking down the camera is where the sun is pointing, you can aim it at what you like like god.

sun3.png

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Mine is a 3060 TI in theory I can render say a third faster than you at guess, once again guessing, that scene should be only taking you 40 minutes as it is.

Lamps are always in the wrong spot, you can light them really low for the look or move them, but dont rely on them for lighting, you are trying to light the character, the room is a second thought.

Light through window -

You can do this -

Daz for some reason wont allow sun sky and scene lights but there is a work around. Put it on dome and scene and remove any HDRI and will revert to the default sun sky as the HDRI.

Go out in perspective mode and place a camera at the veiwport location so it appears here.
View attachment 1940504

Then in render settings set it to the sun node

View attachment 1940505

Then in iray view mode, looking down the camera is where the sun is pointing, you can aim it at what you like like god.

View attachment 1940510
Nifty. I like it.

Yes, i was always wondering why there is no light coming in.
I tried some Iray's but like the motel i tried, only the bottom windows parts will let light through. Above are opaque only as it is the frame.

I found out that you can remove the opaqueness of the window in the surface tab. Useful.

2022-07-22 19_09_27-.jpg 2022-07-22 19_08_25-.jpg
Ansiko Motel window before and after.

I really like to freaking play with DAZ. Not sure if you can break rules with it but i even managed to dforce blankets from the assets in the room.

Anyway, i have to try that tip as this is exactly what i am looking for to give the impression that light is going through the window. It looks nicer too.

Thanks for sharing.

Here is my render from another scene i just did.
It's the Desert Motel.
What i added was SY Starry Sky for the sky (obviously)
And add a wall light from Ghost Light Kit One with 500 intensity.

Looks pretty good. It took me 14 minutes with 3000 iteration and i denoised it with the denoiser afterwards. Took 3 seconds (probably).
36desertmotel_nivida.png

Thanks again

Please let me know if that render is ok or maybe needs to be darker.
I know it was a cheap trick. :)

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Just an update.
Same render setting as before.

This took about 20+ minutes. So thats acceptable.

test_nivida.jpg

Here i added spheres and attached them to the light. I kept them more dim to no flush to much light into the scene.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
I really like to freaking play with DAZ. Not sure if you can break rules with it
Break every rule :D

There are wrong ways to do things, but there is no right way, everything I know is what I have picked up and put together, from other people what have picked things up and put together.