Renderbox Recommendation

Lucid Intent

Donor
Oct 25, 2017
So I've noticed that my Daz renders take forever.. I know this is nothing new, they're supposed to!

I currently have a spare machine made up of old spares (a paltry dual-core with 12gb ram, ssd) currently running ubuntu.

Could anyone point me toward what kind of software I'd need (including changing OS if required) to make it into a renderbox. Preferably batch rendering so I can just let it fly and then continue to use this machine for editing/everything else?

Preferably free, of course. I was just thinking that there must be some alternative to simply installing a copy of Daz (under Win10 - Native not wine) on there and using that.

With a seperate machine for rendering I'm not too fussed about time, as I can continue to work whilst its happening, and the box can be on for as long as it needs.

Sorry if that meandered a bit :)

FeaturedOn

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2017
There a plugins for DAZ to handle batch rendering, & you’ll find that the least expensive way to accomplish your goal is the long way. Copy your necessary files to the VM or Wine version. Export your scenes on your main computer to your Rendering computer. Check each scene & run the plugin to render the queue.

DAZ only likes to assign work to an external source if you’re using Iray Server, which is a proprietary license. After a trial you’ll run into issues of license & GPU cost. I’m offering some rendering support during the Pandemic if you want to check it out, here. You can try it and see how the results work for you. The server solution does have it’s eccentricities.

Reactions: Lucid Intent

FeaturedOn

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2017
Maybe they copied files, but my recommendation was going to be copying a drive image to their linux box (since they mentioned Wine)