Rendering background and character separately ?

Pitey

Oct 7, 2017
Hello!

So I recently started to render my characters without backgrounds and it was fine ! I got an average+ pc and it wasn't that bad it would take 1 to 3 minutes without background to render a character with 150-250 iterations which give an acceptable looks. I tried recently for the first time to render a character WITH a background, (A chamber). My problem is : The render are waaaaaay too long now that i added it. It takes to me 1hours and half to render ONE pic with 500 iterations which is not that good compared to the character alone in term of quality.

Does anyone know how can I reduce my time of rendering while not affecting the quality so much ? Does anyone render background and then the character to mix them on photoshop ? (I know that light would be a problem with this process)

I really need help so if you guys can help me I would appreciate a lot!

Have a good day :)

The M.O.

Nov 27, 2020
While clicked on a figure. Edit/Figure/Geometry/Remove Smoothing Modifier

That's what had an effect on my render times.

Daz is strange, from 3 minutes to an hour thirty is a real jump. I'm interested to hear of your results using the method above.

In answer to your question about doing the background separate. The game I'll be starting soon would be too complex for that. Thinking about it, I would do that if the game was less complex. Drop shadow was fairly easy thing to do when I was using the likes of photoshop.

Last edited:

Pitey

Oct 7, 2017
I tested your idea, I tried to close everything on my pc too on the same test so I don't know which impacted the most but now it would take 38minutes to do the exact same render that took me 1hour30. (Calculated the iterations per minutes) It definitely helped !

But damn going from 2minutes to 38/1:30 is quite a lot.
Maybe rendering the character and integrating them with photoshop would be better ?

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
If you want to try some things to try to mimick the ambient quality of a "fullscreen render" instead of using sprites (aka rendered completely separately), you should try looking at Canvas/Layers at forums and youtube.

There is some guy in daz forums that even shared a script that makes like 20 different renders of the things on screen (layers, one for each lighting etc) in order to mix them all later on psp.

All goes to the quality you want.

Pitey

Oct 7, 2017
Thanks a lot for your help, I think I managed to find a solution that wont need photoshop, reducing the size of the render helps a lot. I increased it to compensate the lack of iterations but seems like 4k was making it way too long. I'll do it in 1,5x 1920x1080 so it's still better than full hd!