Rendering Challenges with Sherry Hair

SteelyDan14

Formerly Known as GeekBone
Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I have been working with this model for a while now and before I render, I always check iRay for any lighting flaws. For some reason, when I use Sherry Hair I get this effect in iRay which translates into hotspots on the render.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

If I drop the hair, the image renders perfectly. I can switch to different hair models with no problem. I am using a Gen3 female and Sherry Hair is for Gen3 females. I even uninstalled and re-installed it. I have no idea what is going on.

On a whim, I created a brand new Gen3 Female and just added the hair and had the same problem. Must be an issue with the hair.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I just tried it and I don't have this problem:
Sherry hair_test.jpg

Your Gen3 female looks different, have you used the base model?

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
If you still have the original download, compare the size of the file to other hairs, it will give you an idea of how many poly's it is. (I don't know if you can actually see the poly count in DAZ like you can in max and blender). It is up there in the poly count from memory, I used to have it but not no more, but higher poly = harder to render, could be your issue.

edit - yes you can see the poly count
Window menu > Panes > Scene Info. Total Faces . (Faces poly's, same thing)

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I am still not sure what is going on. I am now having other issues.

When I look at the same model in Textured mode, no problems.

I may have to reinstall.

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
If you still have the original download, compare the size of the file to other hairs, it will give you an idea of how many poly's it is. (I don't know if you can actually see the poly count in DAZ like you can in max and blender). It is up there in the poly count from memory, I used to have it but not no more, but higher poly = harder to render, could be your issue.

edit - yes you can see the poly count
Window menu > Panes > Scene Info. Total Faces . (Faces poly's, same thing)
I checked it against all the others and they are all about the same.

SteelyDan14

Modder
Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Well, I don't get it. I completely deleted everything and did a clean install and it is still happening.

I have a decent rig with an i5 w/ 8MB ram and a Nividia GeForce GTX 1060 with 6MB and all the drivers are updated. All the other hair I try works fine; it's just this one.

Crazy. I am trying to do some Manila Shaw fan art and this is the hair used on the model.

Sigh...

fsap1

Dec 2, 2017
What's the model used? Are you using IRay (MDL) materials and shaders instead of 3Delight (RSL)?

How's your lighting setup? What's your tone mapping and render settings? What's the environment?

I'm trying to reproduce the problem without success, Sherry hair works just fine. Daz 4.10.