Rendering issue.

Knyghtblade

Nov 3, 2017
Hi,

I have a model (Jaelyn) that I am using and I wanted to make her look older so I used the aging mods. Now, whenever I try to do a render I am getting weird blotch issues with the clothes she is wearing. If I put the clothes on her without aging she renders fine, with aging it looks like she is busting through the clothes. If I look at the scene and use the Iray setting there is no issue, when I kick off the full render it breaks again.

Any thoughts on what might be happening?

Cheers

Knyghtblade

Nov 3, 2017
This is what I am seeing. Pic 1 is 2 copies of the same model. The one on the right has been aged 50%. Pic 2 is the view through the main viewer in Iray (notice no issues). Pic 3 is the final render.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
This is what I am seeing. Pic 1 is 2 copies of the same model. The one on the right has been aged 50%. Pic 2 is the view through the main viewer in Iray (notice no issues). Pic 3 is the final render.
What may be happening is a form of "poke-through." When you render in the viewport, the model is usually rendered at a lower sub-division level than when you do the "real" render. There are certain kinds of morphs that tend to affect things at higher subdivision levels. Your "aging morph" (you didn't say which one it is) is probably one of them.

One way to fix this would be to add a "Push Modifier" to the clothing, set to maybe 0.1 or 0.2. (It defaults to 1.0, which is too big.)

Select the clothing in the scene tab, then press the "hamburger menu" at the corner of that tab and select (as I recall) Edit > Geometry > Add Push Modifier. Name the push modifier (the default is ok) and the clothing will expand. Too much. Now in the parameter's pane, when the piece of clothing is selected, you'll have a "Mesh Offset" setting. Dial that back down to somewhere in the 0.1 to 0.2 range, and that might fix it. (The units are centimeters, which is why 1.0 is too much. A value of 0.1 displaces the clothing out by 1 millimeter.)

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
You sir are a freakin' ROCK STAR!
Hardly - I'm just an old fart that likes to help people out.

Is there a way to make the render in the viewport behave like the "real" render - so I don't have to keep kicking off and killing renders when I see an issue?
Well, sometimes.

The Sub-D levels for the viewport and for rendering are controlled by this set of parameters:
Capture.PNG
In theory, you can dial up the viewport settings so they match the rendering settings. In practice, I've found that doesn't always work 100%, so I suspect that there may be other differences between viewport rendering and "real" rendering that aren't controllable.

Note that different figures and objects have different defaults for their subdivision settings. It's possible that the clothing you were using wasn't set to subdivide when rendering - it's possible that if you bump up the "rendering" subdivision level for it by one that the problem will be reduced or go away as well.

The core idea here is that all the objects are made up of triangles and rectangles (a.k.a. "quads"). Thus, the "real" figure is "faceted" - there's no such thing as a "true, smooth, curved surface." Run-time subdivision of the mesh helps more properly approximate a curved surface by breaking up each triangle or quad into smaller ones, and then "figuring out" what the local contours look like, and arranging those smaller facets to follow what the program thinks the overall shape is "supposed to be."

The problem of course, is that the facets on the garment don't necessarily line up with the facets on the figure, and so when the two are processed separately, you can get different results on the two sets of contours.

Aside from a "push modifier," the other option that sometimes will address this is a "smoothing modifier." A "push modifier" just displaces the garment outwards, period. The "smoothing modifier" both attempts to smooth out irregularities in the garment as it is currently posed, but also has "collision" settings that will try to detect the case where the garment is intersecting with the underlying figure, and displace just the "colliding parts" outward. So that's another alternative you can consider trying. Frequently, if the smoothing modifier is having trouble handling the collisions, dialing up the number of collision iterations will make Daz Studio work harder at "fixing it."

So, that's kind of the view of the landscape on this particular topic.