Daz Rendering on a computer other than the one I use to prepare the scenes.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Is there an easy way to render on a different computer than the one I use to prepare the scenes?
Let's say I work on a laptop most of the time, but if I was thinking of getting a desktop for rendering, what would I need to be able to easily transfer my DAZ scenes between my laptop and desktop? Do all DAZ assets have to be on both computers?
Or is there a way to export scenes to contain all the necessary DAZ assets and there would be no need to maintain the same DAZ assets on both computers?

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
all you have to do is connect them so both computers can talk to each other

this might help you to connect both computers

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Is there an easy way to render on a different computer than the one I use to prepare the scenes?
Let's say I work on a laptop most of the time, but if I was thinking of getting a desktop for rendering, what would I need to be able to easily transfer my DAZ scenes between my laptop and desktop? Do all DAZ assets have to be on both computers?
Or is there a way to export scenes to contain all the necessary DAZ assets and there would be no need to maintain the same DAZ assets on both computers?
Your rendering computer will need access to all the assets that are referenced in the scene. Daz Studio has a very bad habit of putting in references to LOTS of morphs - even ones that aren't used. Basically, a reference with a setting of zero is stored. But it causes error messages if you then load it on a machine without the morphs, even though they're not used. PITA.

So, the real solution is to have both machines have the full set of resources. You can do that by having them loaded on one machine and then have it share a drive and configure the other machine to look there for its resources. You'll get some degree of slow-down in loading, since network drives aren't going to be as fast as native ones, but you only pay that penalty as the scene loads - once the render is going, the content is all loaded.

Alternately, you can use the - it will take a single DUF file and pull together all the resources referenced in that file and build one or more zip files with everything in it. But you still then have to make sure the resources all end up in the places DS is looking for them - it's not a case of "embed them all the the single file" type thing. Still, it's not too bad - you could just unzip, copy the various directories over into the DS storage area, and then be ready to render.

Reactions: BillWest

ChummyChonka

Aug 17, 2017
I'd try using syncthing to sync your library between both machines. The first time around it will take a while to sync your library, depending on its size of course. But if you are just working on your scenes, those are just a couple of megabytes. When you turn on your render PC those will be synced in seconds and your good to go.
Instead of a dedicated rendering PC you could also look into getting a external GPU depending on if your laptop supports thunderbolt 3 at least. External GPUs have their limitations when it comes to gaming (thunderbolt just isn't fast enough yet - maybe thunderbolt 5 will be), but as far as I know that does not matter in regards of sheer rendering. Loading the data into the GPU memory might take a few seconds longer, but that is probably about it.