Daz Rendering question

xeratios

May 13, 2020
So, i've just started out and i was wondering..

I'm like 6 - 7 renders in, and most renders i can tell when they're finished and such.

But then i've had 1 or 2 where i don't notice any noise at all, and yet my render continues for 10 - 15 minutes after.

My actual question: Can i get away with ending the render early if i don't notice any noise anymore?

example:
1659542916405.png

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
Yes... you don't always have to wait for 100% convergence. In fact, I often get renders that seem to take forever in the last 10-20% just because there might be some small amount of noise in a window reflection (for example),

Personally, I stop a lot of renders short, just to save time, since I don't have a decent GPU yet. Then i run them through a denoising script like one. They usually come out very nice.

Same goes for when I run render batches at night. If I know that the renders I am currently doing are usually "good enough" at 1500 iterations (for example) then I will set my render parameters up so that the render ends at 1700 iterations OR 3600 seconds or so. That way my system isn't grinding away for another half hour just to get that last few percentage points of convergence. BTW.. I have to render with CPU so that's why the long render times :)

xeratios

May 13, 2020
Yes... you don't always have to wait for 100% convergence. In fact, I often get renders that seem to take forever in the last 10-20% just because there might be some small amount of noise in a window reflection (for example),

Personally, I stop a lot of renders short, just to save time, since I don't have a decent GPU yet. Then i run them through a denoising script like one. They usually come out very nice.

Same goes for when I run render batches at night. If I know that the renders I am currently doing are usually "good enough" at 1500 iterations (for example) then I will set my render parameters up so that the render ends at 1700 iterations OR 3600 seconds or so. That way my system isn't grinding away for another half hour just to get that last few percentage points of convergence. BTW.. I have to render with CPU so that's why the long render times :)
Thank you for the informative reply!

Good to know, i was reading from others who render at twice the resolution, and then scale it down with photoshop. But my renders don't take longer than like 30 - 45 minutes usually, and now that i know that i can end early my render times should get comfortable.
I do feel your pain though, daz was using my cpu on default.. and i have a ryzen 7... but it got absolutely trashed and heat went through the roof, lol.