Daz Rendering with RTX 2080 Super memory issue.

itsbumpin

Nov 15, 2017
So most annoying issue that I have is that my GPU won't render a second image. I know it's not the size of the scene that is the problem, although the issue is much more prevalent on larger scenes. The only way to fix it is to quit Daz, then kill the process in Task Manager, Which for some reason has no label, just the Daz logo. I tried to ask the Daz forum but my post never appeared. My best guess is that iRay isn't releasing the VRAM.

Help!

Here's what the logs say:

18:24:39.822 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.5 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super): Not enough memory for kernel launches (0.000 B (295.312 MiB) required, 0.000 B available). Cannot allocate framebuffer.
2022-03-09 18:24:39.822 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.5 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super): Failed to setup device frame buffer
2022-03-09 18:24:39.822 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.5 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super): Device failed while rendering
2022-03-09 18:24:39.822 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.5 IRAY rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super) ran out of memory and is temporarily unavailable for rendering.
2022-03-09 18:24:39.863 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.5 IRAY rend warn : All available GPUs failed.
2022-03-09 18:24:39.863 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.5 IRAY rend error: Fallback to CPU not allowed.
2022-03-09 18:24:39.863 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.5 IRAY rend error: All workers failed: aborting render

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
You can't really do much about it other than restarting Daz. You should look into a batch renderer like manfriday's. It'll restart daz between renders and can turn off the computer when the queue is done.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
There is some kind of memory Iray leak between scenes, that never been fixed.
While rather small, iirc fallback mostly gonnna happens when you are using nearly most of your VRAM (Iray numbers don't show the full picture, use GPU-Z like software). Increasing paging file may help for such case, at least it used to in the past. Try to render the strict necessary (what's in front of the cam) to lower VRAM usage.

itsbumpin

Nov 15, 2017
The thing is that it's been a persistent issue, but not as consistent as it has been for the past week or so.
I think it actually got worse since I switched from the game to studio driver.

Also, are there any settings I should use on the nVidia control panel?
Maybe Windows 10 now trying to control which card a program uses has something to do with it.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
So most annoying issue that I have is that my GPU won't render a second image. I know it's not the size of the scene that is the problem, although the issue is much more prevalent on larger scenes. The only way to fix it is to quit Daz, then kill the process in Task Manager, Which for some reason has no label, just the Daz logo. I tried to ask the Daz forum but my post never appeared. My best guess is that iRay isn't releasing the VRAM.

Help!
Your log trace makes it clear that you're running out of memory. AARC, the 2080 Super has 8Gb of RAM. Overally, RAM is going to go to three places:
  1. Windows will eat a portion of your VRAM. Always. How much varies, but I suspect you're going to lose at least 1.5Gb on an 8Gb card. This has long been discussed, but is related to Windows trying to be "friendly" to someone suddenly plugging a monitor into a running system.
  2. The geometry, textures and material information from your render, of course.
  3. The "frame buffer" into which the rendering process will compute your image.
As no__name indicates, it is well known that iRay tends to leak some memory between renders. It all gets returned when the "CUDA context" is released which, with DS, only happens when the application closes. (For whatever reason, DS has opted not to completely re-initialize iRay in between each render. I'm guessing that's because of the possibility that you're using iRay in the viewport AND running a render at the same time, but that's only a guess.

However, it's been my experience that if your scene is sufficiently small, the leak shouldn't be an issue. I have GTX 1080's, which also have 8Gb of memory. I regularly use Scene Optimizer so that my texture usage on a scene rarely exceeds 1Gb, and I can queue up 10-20 renders using the batch renderer from Renderosity without any problem. So, when you say I know it's not the size of the scene that is the problem, maybe you want to re-check how much VRAM your scene really is taking. Look in the log for a line with "Texture memory consumption" in it to see what you're really eating up - it might be more than you expect, leaving you with less margin for the iRay leak than you expect - particularly when you subtract Window's "reservation."

Reactions: osanaiko