3D-Daz Renders settings testing in Daz3d 3 examples with different pixel filter, saturation, and gamma

mrbigchungus

Mr Brosef Chungus
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2019
Figured I'd share the thumbnails here and then detail the render settings, and finally ask, "What do ya'll wankers think?"

First, in my older game, I used very different settings - ahem, none of these three match the artwork in Her Heart's Desire, despite it being a character from the game. I read here in a few threads about other folks settings, and then a light bulb went on (then dropped, broke, and I had to clean up glass for a while, super weird).

The toggles I tried were in render settings in the Tone Mapping area:
  • 750 iterations, denoise at 745
  • Saturation set to 1.0 (or 1.2, or 1.3)
  • Gamma set to default, 2, or 1.8 (default = 2.2)
  • Pixel filter radius set to 1.0 instead of default
  • Crush blacks set to zero (instead of .2 default)
Based on the visual appeal alone...is there a difference between the three? Which is your favorite? Bonus points if you can tell this fat ass gorilla what else he should try / test / alter in the render settings.

lilyrenderqualtest03.png lilyrenderqualtest02.png lilyrenderqualtest01.png

felldude

Aug 26, 2017
Number 3 for my monitor settings. The problem with perceptual gamma is something that appears black on one persons monitor can be grey on another.

Try putting Gimp or photoshop on absolute color metric and watch your CPU and GPU catch on fire.

Reactions: mrbigchungus

mrbigchungus

Mr Brosef Chungus
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2019
Thank you!

For my monitor, it's the third one as well of them that's the best so either we've both got the same visual issue, or those settings are better than the others.

Reactions: felldude

felldude

Aug 26, 2017
Thank you!

For my monitor, it's the third one as well of them that's the best so either we've both got the same visual issue, or those settings are better than the others.
For bonus points enable hidden settings and turn on Path Space Filtering
Or up the max ray trace bounces to 32 and quadruple your render time :ROFLMAO:

Hidden.jpg

mrbigchungus

Mr Brosef Chungus
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2019
!$#@#$@ shit, I've never seen that in my life...ah, mind telling me what I'm supposed to do with those "path space filtering?"

felldude

Aug 26, 2017
!$#@#$@ shit, I've never seen that in my life...ah, mind telling me what I'm supposed to do with those "path space filtering?"
Have fun exploring and experimenting with all the hidden options, a lot of them are in more proffesional apps or games like swithing to screen space approximation for shadows.

PSF is experimental from DAZ and is considered a better option then the de-noiser for low light

mrbigchungus

Mr Brosef Chungus
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2019
KK, now I've seen Nvidia research from 2014, and a number of scholarly articles on the subject, but my tiny gorilla brain hasn't had enough coffee to figure it out. Next am gonna use site search here to see if there's smaht artists who already covered the topic.

felldude

Aug 26, 2017
KK, now I've seen Nvidia research from 2014, and a number of scholarly articles on the subject, but my tiny gorilla brain hasn't had enough coffee to figure it out. Next am gonna use site search here to see if there's smaht artists who already covered the topic.
The first line of the will wake you the fuck up lol

The images are from the NGX sample in that paper and PSF has been incorporated with raytracing in games. Most game engines are way ahead of Daz studio at the moment unfortunately

If you compare a low light render with PSF on and de-noiser off you should see a difference

mrbigchungus

Mr Brosef Chungus
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2019
" The efficiency of quasi-Monte Carlo integro-approximation for light transport simulation is increased by locally smoothing the contribution of path space samples before averaging them. "

Yeah...and now that my brain is mush...I think I'm gonna quit & become a plumber. lol.

Reactions: felldude