Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py 7.x / 8.x Linuxizer and reinstaller script

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote
Mar 3, 2020
Latest update: 2024-04-12

—​

It occasionally happens that a Ren'Py 7.x or 8.x game is distributed without functioning Linux support. The attached script will acquire the appropriately-versioned Ren'Py SDK (either directly from renpy.org, or from a local cache) and install it in the appropriate location within a game directory.

Directions for use:
  1. Download the attached script. (You may rename it anything and save it anywhere.)
  2. Set the user-executable bit on it (chmod u+x ...).
  3. While cd'd into a Ren'Py 7 or Ren'Py 8 game's top directory (the one with both game/ and renpy/ subdirectories), run the script.

Features:
  • Caches the downloaded Ren'Py SDK to ~/.renpy/.sdk-cache, and prefers that cache's contents to redownloading.
  • Will replace any existing/provided Linux binaries with known-good ones (in case you suspect file corruption).
  • Fixes broken executable-file permissions, just as a side-effect.
  • 32-/64-bit agnostic.
  • Passes shellcheck without warnings.
  • (2022-06-20) Downscales too-large window-icon files which may result in X11 errors.
  • (2022-09-04) Now also supports RenPy 8.0.x!
  • (2023-08-01) Now also supports RenPy 8.1.x!
  • (2024-04-12) Now also correctly supports RenPy 7.6.x!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

unroot

Aug 14, 2019
tried it with ./renpy82linux.sh Meet_Cute_Delivery/
and all i got was: renpy82linux.sh: This doesn't seem to be a Ren'Py game directory.

Game: this (__init__.py file says it's 7.4.5) (had changed the spaces in the dirname for underscores to avoid that source of error)
Used OS: Devuan Chimaera (Debian Bullseye based)
renpy2linux.sh worked always fine (after changing all "python" into "python2")

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
Does anyone know why I would be getting "couldn't determine Ren'Py version"? According to log.txt (after running the game with WINE), the version is 7.6.3.

Mar 3, 2020
Does anyone know why I would be getting "couldn't determine Ren'Py version"? According to log.txt (after running the game with WINE), the version is 7.6.3.
Can you post:
  • the game's renpy/vc_version.py file? (This should be five lines at most.)
  • the output of grep version_tuple renpy/__init__.py?
  • the output of the script, after changing bash -eu to bash -eux?

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
Can you post:
  • the game's renpy/vc_version.py file? (This should be five lines at most.)
  • the output of grep version_tuple renpy/__init__.py?
  • the output of the script, after changing bash -eu to bash -eux?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

PS. I am aware this game has a Linux release. Whenever developers stupidly split the two builds rather than bundle both in a Win/Linux release like most of them do I typically grab the Windows version and fix it up with one of these scripts for reasons.

Mar 3, 2020
I typically grab the Windows version and fix it up with one of these scripts for reasons.
I understand completely. I run the script on everything even when the Linux version isn't provided separately.

Anyway, the issue here was that in Ren'Py 7.6.1+, the line version = u'7.6.3.23091805' has a u in it. Apparently I'd added handling for this to my local copy but never uploaded the fix. That's been done now; you should just be able to get the latest version.

Reactions: bigguy_foryou

bigguy_foryou

Jun 8, 2018
Anyway, the issue here was that in Ren'Py 7.6.1+, the line version = u'7.6.3.23091805' has a u in it. Apparently I'd added handling for this to my local copy but never uploaded the fix. That's been done now; you should just be able to get the latest version.
Nice, thank you. I think it failed to attach though, or I am blind.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote