Ren'Py [Renpy] All webm animations have stopped working in my project

Marpel69

Game Developer
Jun 16, 2023
I've tried to add new animation to my project using the movie function.

image chloe7_jukebox = Movie(fps = 30, play = "chloe_events/chloe_7/chloe7_jukebox.webm")

All my animations are declared this way and everything worked just fine until recently. When I tried to add animation, I just saw a checkered screen. And when I checked my other animations, they were replaced with checkered screens too.
I tried:
Updating Renpy
Reinstaling Renpy
Trying to move my game to other Renpy Project

Thanks in advance for your answers.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Difficult to diagnose with such limited information.
A blank screen (checkboard in developer mode, black in normal game) is usually because RenPy can't find the file or wasn't asked to show it.

Firstly... you're aware image only defines a displayable object to be used by something later?
Displaying the image as you've created it, would require a line within the normal flow of the game... something like:
scene chloe7_jukebox with dissolve

Sorry, hopefully you already know that - but better to cover the basics.

I'm not 100% sure that forward slashes work within filepaths. You might try testing as:
image chloe7_jukebox = Movie(play="chloe_events\chloe_7\chloe7_jukebox.webm")
(I removed the fps setting, since that will default to the FPS of the movie and changed the forward slashes to backslashes).

Failing those... difficult to say. I'm guessing you changed something and forgot. Did you perhaps move the animations from \images\ to something like a \videos\ folder? If that's the case, you'll need to to specify a full filepath relative to the \game\ or \game\images\ folders (I think both work as starting points for filenames).

Edit:
Developer mode is a LOT more forgiving than a version of the game running in what I think of as "normal" mode.
It knows the game isn't finished, as so just continues if it has a problem with missing or bad files.
You could try using the [BUILD] function of the RenPy developer menu to generate a built version of the game, as if you were going to release it to the public. Then unzip the generated file to a temporary folder and then run the game as if you were an end user. Because the game is no longer in developer mode, you will full errors if the game can't find files. If the screen just ends up being black (instead of the checkerboard), then you're probably missing a scene or show statement.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
All my animations are declared this way and everything worked just fine until recently. When I tried to add animation, I just saw a checkered screen. And when I checked my other animations, they were replaced with checkered screens too.
What have you changed in Ren'Py configuration, and/or your code, and/or your computer configuration ?

When a movie is not found, it trigger an IOError exception, so Ren'Py find your videos. And like you show your movies, if the movie is just unplayable, Ren'Py stay on the previous image.

So, what you're facing point to a change in the code (replacing show by scene to display the movies) and in your computed (a codec/driver update or something like this).

While being standardized, WEBM is a capricious format.
There's, time to time, a player who have difficulties to see movies that everyone else can see. But this don't happen randomly, it's always linked to something in the way the movie have been encoded and something on the player computer.
Therefore it can possibly happen with your new movies, but if nothing have changed it have no reason to suddenly impact your previous movies.