Renpy animations cut off

karrek

May 14, 2017
I've been having a bizarre problem for the last couple of weeks where animations in Renpy restart the loop too early, cutting off the end of the animation. It makes movement extremely spastic looking. I don't know if it's related, but around the time it started I was trying to hit the hotkey to bring up the developer menu and I accidentally brought up the interactive director, but I don't think I did anything in there. The problem persists across all games and is driving me nuts.

Any help would be much appreciated!

karrek

May 14, 2017
I'm trying to find a way to clear Renpy's global settings. I know about the AppData save folder, but is there anywhere that Renpy stores its own data, not related to a particular game?

throwawaycondom

Aug 11, 2021
I'm trying to find a way to clear Renpy's global settings. I know about the AppData save folder, but is there anywhere that Renpy stores its own data, not related to a particular game?

Try using Transitions in Preferences.

In my limited knowledge I think turning off the transition setting somehow interferes with webm video playback to be cut short and skip.
Sorry you have been suffering but I believe this should work ?
I hope it does :)
Let us know if you figure out otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: karrek

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
This is a problem with Renpy itself that happened a few versions back, so basically all games that released using that specific version have that problem to some degree.
Often you can fix it by switching the renderer when you hit shit + G (GL2 or ANGLE2), if that doesn't work, you can try playing with the other settings like powersave, framerate and tearing, but for some ppl even that didn't fix it, if that's the case for you, there's not much else you could do, but wait for an update of the game where it uses a fixed version of renpy.

Reactions: dp123 and karrek

karrek

May 14, 2017
This is a problem with Renpy itself that happened a few versions back, so basically all games that released using that specific version have that problem to some degree.
Thanks! I think this is the problem, because I went back and tried some older games and they didn't have the issue.

There isn't such place, because there isn't such data.
That's what I thought, but since the issue was present across all games (or so I thought) I thought there must be a global config somewhere that was messed up.

karrek

May 14, 2017
Actually, looks like I spoke too soon. It's webm. Any game that uses webm does the cutting off, any game that doesn't plays animations fine, regardless of how old the game is.

throwawaycondom thanks for the suggestion, but changing transitions doesn't seem to do anything.

karrek

May 14, 2017
Okay, so I have an update, in case anyone is having similar problems and needs troubleshooting info: I have confirmed it was something about the configuration of my system, but I don't know what. I confirmed this by trying one of the games that was having an issue on a different computer, and lo and behold, no problems. So then I knew it was something about the original system. To eliminate some kind of weird hardware problem, I wiped it and did a clean install of windows (not a big deal because I basically only use this PC for web browsing and these games, so I was back to full functionality almost immediately) and again, no problems. So it wasn't hardware, and it wasn't the games themselves, it was something that got changed in the computer I was using, but sadly I'll probably never know what that something was.

Anyway, upshot is it's fixed now, but it's probably not a fix most people are going to want to implement.