Ren'Py animations not looping during gameplay

plaguyex

Aug 8, 2020
Hi,

Recently I've been having issues with Ren'Py games that've been a minor annoyance.

Games no longer loop animations and i can only close games using the task manager as they seem to become unresponsive once clicking "Yes"to confirm exit.

I've already tried the following:
  1. rolling back GPU driver
  2. updating GPU driver to optional version (release candidate)
  3. Switching to Beta branch of Windows insider program
  4. Switching the game(s) to Win8 compatibility mode
As Ren'Py isn't generating logs i don't know where to search as a Google search is leading me to results regarding making animations not playing them.
So i was hoping anyone here has had the same issue in the past and has managed to resolve it.

Reactions: OuterC

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Games no longer loop animations and i can only close games using the task manager as they seem to become unresponsive once clicking "Yes"to confirm exit.
Hmm.
The loop part, I've seen one or two people having it in the past, but I don't remember their issue being solved. But the "can't close normally" it's new for me.

Is it happening to all games, or only some of them ? And does "all" mean the game still in progress that you're playing, or did it include old title ?
If you want, you can use this game as control ; you'll probably don't like it, but it's not the reason why I point it and you don't really have to play it. It use a really old version of Ren'Py and is small (less than 200MB), so it's a perfect way to see if the "can't close" issue happen with it or not. If you've somewhere on your hard drive a 2 years old game, it also worth trying with it.

The only change I can think about when Ren'Py close is the addition of the "save on exit" feature. But I guess that you would have said it if, in top of that, Ren'Py suddenly started to takes age to save.

As Ren'Py isn't generating logs i don't know where to search as a Google search is leading me to results regarding making animations not playing them.
It is, it's the "log.txt" file, located in the same directory that the executable file. But it don't log much once the game is started, so I doubt that you would find something useful inside it.

Reactions: plaguyex

plaguyex

Aug 8, 2020
Hmm.
The loop part, I've seen one or two people having it in the past, but I don't remember their issue being solved. But the "can't close normally" it's new for me.
<..SNIP..>
As to the loading you are correct i had nothing of the sort, one thing i had noticed that when i went to the process tree itself (sub menu in task manager) and killed it from there i was greeted with an access denied.

HOWEVER..

I've tried out the game you linked, it works as intended.

So i proceeded launching a couple of the games to see what Ren'Py versions they were running to be able to provide further info.

Oddly both problems are solved.. been trying to fix this for about a week now and seemingly launching Hen Party fixed it o_O
So thank you for linking the game, turns out i indeed didn't like the gameplay but i did like the inexplicable fix it provided.

Sadly this was short lived, no clue as to what's causing it so created a dump file. i'm going to look through. if i end up figuring it out i'll update this post.

Last edited:

Serpico1616

Dec 22, 2018
OK I fixed the problem I was having. Having my soundcards audio quality set to 384khz is what was causing the issue and switching it to 192khz fixed it.

Reactions: 0Auras0

plaguyex

Aug 8, 2020
OK I fixed the problem I was having. Having my soundcards audio quality set to 384khz is what was causing the issue and switching it to 192khz fixed it.
Odd, i've had mine at 32b 384khz before and after the issue.

I have no idea what caused or resolved the issue but it went away after windows took a dump (win11 dev channel; would not recommend) during an update and i had to reset bios and reinstall.

OuterC

Jun 27, 2023
I was having the exact issue described by the OP, seemed to happen all of a sudden. Tried a bunch of fixes, but found the source of the problem:

This happens if there's an issue with your audio source. For me, the problem manifested suddenly as I'd just replaced a USB hub and had my wireless headphone dongle in the new hub - for whatever reason, it wasn't working in that hub. If the problem occurs, troubleshoot your audio connections and I pretty much guarantee it will work.

Reactions: plaguyex