Ren'Py Renpy DirectSoundCreate8 Error on Start for some games

Hybris

May 9, 2017
Tried to play Take Over v0.46 and got the following error:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This the second time I have gotten this same error but it was with a different game (A Petal Among Thorns). I have recently built a new computer from the ground up and moved from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Under 7 I have played both of these games as updates have come out so I don't believe its on their end but mine.

I have tried other long standing games: A Town Uncovered, Stranded Dick, and Wicked Paradise. All Renpy games, all working just fine.

This seems to be sound related but I don't see or at least understand the nature of the error to start troubleshooting things on my end.
If it helps I am using a Sound Blaster AE-9 card and DAC.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
This seems to be sound related but I don't see or at least understand the nature of the error to start troubleshooting things on my end.
Apparently there's an error in the parameters sent to the interface that Ren'Py use to connect with the DirectSound Windows' API. But what parameter and why, this is a total mystery for me ; there's only two result with the exact string error on Google, one being from you.

Is DirectX on your computer ? It's the only thing that cross my mind right now.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Hybris

Hybris

May 9, 2017
Interesting thing when I checked my DirectX as per the instructions in the link.
During the initial check I got an "Error: Problem getting extra sound info."

Under the sound tab of the DxDiag window DirectX sees my AE-9 and its audio drivers but otherwise doesn't recognize it on a hardware level.

So on a WAG I disabled my speakers through Playback Devices and switched to my monitor speakers whose audio drivers are listed under my GPU drivers in this case Nvidia.

Suddenly the game works as intended. So because DirectX can't identify my hardware I think that is what is causing the error and Creative Labs drivers being what they are likely don't even care about DirectX support.
So far none of my various AAA games have had sound issues so it seems limited to just some Renpy games for now.

Thankfully I mute all of VN's anyway so this is not a huge loss but is a inconvenience if I want to listen to something else in background unless I find a work around. Edit: If I mute my monitor in monitor's interface I can leave both my speakers through my AE-9 and the monitor enabled in Playback devices to allow the games to work and still have full system sound.

Thanks for the help Anne. Hopefully this helps someone else eventually.

Reactions: anne O'nymous