Ren'py disconnects my internet

MattLam

May 30, 2017
When i open any ren'py games my internet (ethernet cable, win10) just disconnects and no matter what i do i cant get it to connect again. The only solution i found is to restart my pc. Does someone ran into a similar problem? because i don't know what to do anymore.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
What firewall are you using?
Renpy games don't tend to access the internet unless you click on a link in the game (Patreon, Discord, etc.)

MattLam

May 30, 2017
Uhh, win10 default? I did a fresh install a day ago trying to solve this and didn't install anything more than some Renpy from here and steam, outside nvidia drivers of course.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I really don't see how Ren'py can be the cause of your problem ; not that I don't believe you, but it shouldn't happen.

Firstly, like said by I'm Not Thea Lundgren! Ren'py do not initiate internet connection out of the blue. There's possibly some from games that you downloaded from Steam, but I assume that you would have said it if the problem happened only with some Ren'py games.

Secondly, even if Ren'py was sending weird or malformed packets, both Windows drivers, your Ethernet card, your modem and your ISP materials, should perfectly know how to deal with this (just drop them). Therefore it should have no consequences. But anyway, since Ren'py rely on regular, and not tweaked, Python libraries, there's no reason for the packets to be weird or malformed ; it would have been noticed and solved a long time ago.
At most it's the data transmitted that would have no sense, but they are proceeded by the destination, not by the intermediaries ; therefore once again it have no reason to lead to your problem.

Thirdly, if effectively you're on a totally fresh installation of Windows 10, there's no reason for the problem to be caused by an IP filter or an anti-virus. But anyway I don't see an IP filter shutting down all traffic because of a weird connection attempt, same for an anti-virus ; they would be really shitty.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Just thinking out loud here, maybe if there's some kind of hardware problem, that could cause a driver crash which could then cause a connection loss.
Probably not likely, but I've seen a lot of weird problems with even weirder solutions :unsure:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Just thinking out loud here, maybe if there's some kind of hardware problem, that could cause a driver crash which could then cause a connection loss.
Probably not likely, but I've seen a lot of weird problems with even weirder solutions :unsure:
In theory it's a totally plausible cause.

Like drivers need to works as fast as possible, unless they are generic drivers they have less protection against weird information returned by the hardware itself. By (totally imaginary) example if you send a "turn this part on" signal to the card, the answer will always be "done" or "oops" ; therefore there's no need to validate the format of those data. But if the part you address is dying, it can possibly return something totally weird and/or not expected that will blow up the driver.
Some kind of:
Code:
while( sendSignal( "turn this part on" ) )
{    
    if response == "ok" then do that and return
    else if response == "oops" then do that and return
}
that send you in an endless loop. The driver will endlessly try to "turn this part on" because the said part is dying and sending impulses that aren't recognized.

But then the question is "what hardware" is dying ?

It's probably not the Ethernet card. Partly because Ren'py rarely connect to internet, partly because it would then happen with almost all attempt to connect to internet ; a web browser is more likely to tweak the connection than Ren'py, and so more likely to trigger the dying part of the card.

Since it's Ren'py that cause this, it can possibly be the video card. But then why did it shutdown the link with his ISP ?
It can possibly be explained if Ren'py is working through DirectX. DirectDraw (if I remember the name and use correctly) would be blown up, and by a cascade effect would blow up DirectConnect, that then would blow up the Ethernet driver ?
Not sure that it's effectively possible, but in theory why not.

MattLam are you using the GPU of the motherboard or an external GPU ? And if it's the second, can you try to use the motherboard GPU and see if the problem still happen ?

MattLam

May 30, 2017
Thanks for all the responses, gave a try to some more things and downloaded DefenderControl to desactivate Windows Defender completly, this solved the problem for now.
If the problem comes again i gonna give a try to the GPU thing.