Ren'Py Ren'py doesn't start

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
So, Ren'Py is trying to use an openGL renderer, but failed because your system do not have the right GPU for that.

By order of importance, stop at the step that solve your problem:

1) Try to update your GPU/Video card drivers.

2) Press shift when click on the "exe", and keep it pressed until the game have started. Then choose "ANGLE" (without the trailing "2") as renderer. And try again to launch the game, normally this time.

3) in the "[path to the game]/game" folder, create a file named "zz_gl_fix.rpy". Open it with notepad and write this inside:
Code:
config.gl_enable = False
/!\ WARNING /!\ This can make the game fail for another reason if it really need to use an openGL renderer.

If none solve the problem, sorry, your computer is now too old to run Ren'Py games.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Does it require to unren the game first before you can use your own scripts? :unsure:
No, you can put it in the game folder even if everything else is just RPYC files, and even if they are stored in a RPA archive.

In fact, you can even overwrite a file that already exist into a RPA archive.
Lets say that there's a "characters.rpyc" file stored in the RPA archive, and you want to change it because it have things like define mom = Character( "Annie" ), that you want to replace by define mom = Character( "My incestuous mother" ). All you need is to create a file named "characters.rpy", fill it with a copy of the original with your changes, and put it in the "game" folder.

Depending of what you did, the first time you'll try to launch the game, Ren'py will perhaps complain about duplicated values/labels. But it's just due to the compilation of your new file. Launch the game a second time, and it will works fine this time.

Side note: Obviously, you'll still need unren the first time to know what's in the said script, since here you need to copy it integrally. But after this first time, it become useless.

Reactions: cold_arctus