Ren'Py Engine help

George Halstead

Oct 1, 2017
Friends i am currently using RPGMaker MV to create a game but i have seen time and again the negative comments about RPGMaker so i want to try to use Ren'Py.

My question is this, being new to the Ren'Py engine i know next to nothing. Is it possible to drop in an existing game to learn ? It is easily done in RPGMaker but not sure if i can do it with Ren'Py.

Has anyone tried to do it and if so could you explain how to do it please.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Well the two as i understand it are different and mostly use to create different type of games. The one you run around a map a lot RPGMaker and the other have more static images/animation and can have many branches or choice based options.

I started with Tyrannobuilder but then switched over to RenPy. Trust me when i say i have ZERO coding skills just ask Rich as he's been helping me a lot, also DocPink...

So depending on what you want your game to be. If a game like Lust Epidemic then RPGMaker but anything like my game RTP or Acting Lessons then use RenPy... There are many tutorials and guys on here are very helpful

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Friends i am currently using RPGMaker MV to create a game but i have seen time and again the negative comments about RPGMaker so i want to try to use Ren'Py.

My question is this, being new to the Ren'Py engine i know next to nothing. Is it possible to drop in an existing game to learn ? It is easily done in RPGMaker but not sure if i can do it with Ren'Py.

Has anyone tried to do it and if so could you explain how to do it please.
There are a number of "Renpy decompilers" out there. (And not even always necessary, because some games essentially ship with everything intact.) But if you expand a Ren'py game back to its source, then you can open it up in the Ren'py development environment and examine its source and fiddle with it to your heart's content.

See for one good decompiler.

Reactions: anne O'nymous
Jun 29, 2018
When I first started looking into RenPy I used UnRen.bot that Rich posted a link to above. I had just completed the Dreams Of Desire game (Amazing game by the way). I used UnRen.bot on that game to view the code and see how it was put together. I found this much more helpful than just looking through the RenPy docs, though that's handy as well.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Exactly. The Ren'py docs are "references" which tell you how individual bits work. They aren't "tutorials" which tell you how to do X. So looking through a few games is a good way to get an idea how to actually do things. You can play through a game and look at the code at the same time - that gives you a much better feel for "what does what."

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
You can play through a game and look at the code at the same time - that gives you a much better feel for "what does what."
He can also use these game to experiment. It's code that works, so it's a good base to see what happen if you add this, or change that.

Reactions: Rich