• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Renpy Error when accessed from network folder

rocker1440

Nov 17, 2017
I have a NAS setup which I got recently, I mapped it as a netshare folder in windows, I tried to launch a renpy game through the network share folder. It shows this error. Anyone know how I can get through this? there's a duplicate of this on programming and development, I accidentally posted there first, if you know how to delete threads please help with that too <3

W65

May 31, 2018
That's a pretty long pathname. If we have any expert Microsoft people around they might know better, but I don't know if Windows's network protocols like long pathnames. They've been around since the days when that kind of thing mattered, and this might be some weird case where it still does. Dunno. It's just a guess.

rocker1440

Nov 17, 2017
That's a pretty long pathname. If we have any expert Microsoft people around they might know better, but I don't know if Windows's network protocols like long pathnames. They've been around since the days when that kind of thing mattered, and this might be some weird case where it still does. Dunno. It's just a guess.
I've tried shortening it seeing I read somewhere saying that it might be because of weird characters in path, so I move it directly to the //mainpath still says same error

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Have you tried to run EXE with administrador privileges? or with compatibility tab?
If you have Windows 10, are you enable compatibility with older Samba 1.0?

Sch

May 20, 2017
Have you tried to run it using the mapped drive letter instead of UNC?
Is your NAS running windows 10? Just because the computer name on the picture is typically an auto-generated windows 10 computer name.
Has the user got the proper permissions to run the program from there?
Is the path length shorter than 256 characters? By default windows cannot handle longer path.

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
I have a NAS setup which I got recently, I mapped it as a netshare folder in windows, I tried to launch a renpy game through the network share folder. It shows this error. Anyone know how I can get through this? there's a duplicate of this on programming and development, I accidentally posted there first, if you know how to delete threads please help with that too <3
The path is likely not the issue as you can run the exe and it's returning the full pathname, and not a truncated one.

Check that your AV isn't blocking access to the file, that you're running the exe as admin, and that the account you're using has full control rights to the network share.

joebg

Feb 10, 2020
I know this is old, but better to have the solution available for the next ones. I had the same issue, but was able to solve it by using symbolic links, in Windows 10 at least. Here's what I did:

1. Map the network drive to Windows (I used P: )
2. Click on the windows search bar and type "CMD", right click on the application called Command Prompt to open as Administrator
3. mklink /D C:\Games P:\

You can change the C:\Games to whatever you like, but make sure its on the C: drive. From what I can gather, Renpy accesses the windows files to run properly, but is not programed to look for it on another drive other than the location the file is open from.

Dec 11, 2021
Thank you for posting your solution, will try it out.

Oddly I have this issue only with one game at the moment, others are working fine..

Edit: Above is really working for me as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: joebg