Ren'py Error

CHFan

Feb 25, 2019
Lately I've been seeing a slew of the same error when attempting to launch a ren'py game and I'm not sure what is causing it.

This error has cropped up in multiple games in the past few weeks:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/gui.rpy", line 418, in <module>
AttributeError: 'StoreModule' object has no attribute 'variant'
I'm unable to locate the 'game/gui.rpy' file (definitely not at the path indicated) and my Google-fu is seriously lacking in locating a fix/solution/whathaveyou. I'm running on the latest MacOS and using the ren'py dev environment to launch games (v.7.4.6.1693). Also, I'm pretty sure this error appeared in both the Mac and PC versions of a game (but can't recall which title I tested this way).

Any thoughts on what could be causing this error to repeatedly show up?

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Try updating the dev environment you are using to run the game? There should be a v8.0.2 available already.

Reactions: CHFan

CHFan

Feb 25, 2019
Thanks for the reply! Quick question, does it matter which version of Python I have installed? I see I have a 3.x installed but have seen mention of a 2.7(?).

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
There should be a v8.0.2 available already.
No. A version 8.x do not update a version 7.x, it's two different version of Python and risk to totally crash the game. At most what he need is the last version in the 7.5 branch.

This said, the problem effectively come from the fact that he's using a version 7.4.6 of the SDK to play a game made with the version 7.4.11 or later.

Reactions: CHFan

CHFan

Feb 25, 2019
Thanks for the support. I wasn't able to find an update for the 7.5 branch you mentioned but did see that Ren'py8 was released a week or so ago. That seems to correct my issue.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Thanks for the support. I wasn't able to find an update for the 7.5 branch you mentioned [...]
Then you aren't searching in the right place, the 7.5 branch is available from .
As you'll see, they are release at the same time than the 8.x branch, because they are strictly identical, except for the version of Python used.

You really should have both, because playing a game made for the branch 7.x on the version 8.x, or the opposite, can really totally break the game ; Python 2.x (branch 7.x) and Python 3.x (branch 8.x) aren't compatible.

CHFan

Feb 25, 2019
Yep, didn't notice the link at the bottom of the page that directed me to the entire list of available downloads.

Is there a way to know which SDK to use or is it trial and error? Not that big of a deal with only two options but curious.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Is there a way to know which SDK to use or is it trial and error?
From what you said, I guess that you're using Win/Linux version to play on your Mac when there's no dedicated release. So, on the archive of the game, take a look into the "lib" directory. If there's a directory named "python2.7", you need the branch 7.5.x, and if there's a directory named "python3.x" ("x" will perhaps change in the future, actually it's "9"), then you need the branch 8.x.

CHFan

Feb 25, 2019
From what you said, I guess that you're using Win/Linux version to play on your Mac when there's no dedicated release. So, on the archive of the game, take a look into the "lib" directory. If there's a directory named "python2.7", you need the branch 7.5.x, and if there's a directory named "python3.x" ("x" will perhaps change in the future, actually it's "9"), then you need the branch 8.x.
Exactly, I'll use the Win/Linux version if they the only ones available but also will pick those up when they are multiple releases ahead of the Mac version.

I'll have to do that with the Mac versions as well since I run all Ren'pys thru the SDK as I do not like fixing permissions for each and every game. I'm guessing this knowledge will help me in the future to combat the seemingly random launch errors that I would get.

Thanks for taking the time, I feel I have a better understanding of how all this stuff works.