Ren'Py for Text-Based Game?

Dec 3, 2020
I keep going back and forth on this, so curious about others' opinions...

I'm working on a mostly text-based game, in a choose-your-own-adventure style. So basically, a VN without the pictures. I do plan on using character sprites, but that's probably it as far as visuals go. Thus far I've been using Twine, just because it seems like that's how these types of games are generally done. I much prefer the look and feel of Ren'Py though, Twine is kind of ugly and irritating to use (at least for someone like me with basically no coding experience).

Do you think it's feasible to use Ren'Py for a game like this? I don't think I've seen any examples of it, but please let me know if they exist.

DiviDreamer

Aug 29, 2020
Sure, I making TiTs-CoC like game, textbased with RPG elements (tile moving-exploring, inventory, char stats and so on)
it's not typical for Renpy but can be made. Renpy is flexible game engine with python support and you can make almost any
2d game, even side-scroller (but its kinda like adapting car engine to bicycle)
That's why people mostly use it for VN, Sandbox.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
With Ren'py it's going to be super easy. Barely an inconvenience.

Dec 3, 2020
With Ren'py it's going to be super easy. Barely an inconvenience.
Oh Really?

I guess I just worry that players will find it strange since most games of this type are in Twine. But who am I kidding anyway...this is a text-based game with a female protagonist, potentially dealing with NTR-related themes (depending on player choices). I'll be lucky if I have any players at all.

Reactions: Doorknob22