Ren'Py RenPy Game Compressors, Which tools do you use? Quick summary.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
If I want to compress RenPy games myself, what tools do the experienced game compressors use? Looking at some of the compressors here, there are several tools identified:

- Cruncher
- Ultrafast adult games compressor
- Yet another cruncher

And of course, Unren, and then various image conversion programs. Don't the above tool take care of the conversion? Or is there some manual batch conversion required for best results?

These tools all seem to do the about this same thing, though some have more options than others. I have used Cruncher by itself a few times with decent results.

Can someone that has experience compressing RenPy games, give a quick rundown of the process? Basically, what tools to you use, what major settings to you tweak from the default to get good results, and in what order?

Thanks!

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
You're probably better off asking compressors personally or in their thread if you want their perspective. I'll share my process for the game I'm working on.

I've tried using YAC for images and used it a bit to compress/downscale videos, but I ended up just using XnConvert for images and doing video compression in a video editor since I also do other stuff in it. XnConvert has an easy GUI and a bunch of options for compression and other actions like resizing, etc. For example, .jpg works better for some images in the game than .webp with comparable size and I sometimes set different compression quality for different images. One other compressor also uses XnConvert that I know of.

I imagine their process is something like compressing the game with a cruncher and quality of choosing (probably Medium if we're talking YAC) -> check if the game works -> build distributions in Ren'Py.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
I imagine their process is something like compressing the game with a cruncher and quality of choosing (probably Medium if we're talking YAC) -> check if the game works -> build distributions in Ren'Py.
Great, thanks for the tips. I'll experiment with YAC, and perhaps manually converting with XnConvert.

Reactions: LightmanP