Renpy Game Files

BB2019

Apr 5, 2019
Hi

Does anyone know the character etc files location in the new versions of renpy games? In the older versions files of characters (*.rpy) were there but i cant find them in newer versions. I wanted to speed up corruption type games.

Games in question.. lust village, mindbreak etc..

Thanks in advance.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
You mean, the file where characters are defined? Or other variables?
The file can be named anything *.rpy, there is no standard file name for variables or characters. Most often they're all in the script.rpy file. There is rarely a separate file created for character definitions. And knowing just that won't help you speed up anything :rolleyes:

If you want to cheat and speed up events that depend on some variable values, you'd have to find the event you want to trigger, find the trigger and either modify the script or the current value of the variable to pass the check. Doing so you might lock yourself out of other stuff that's going on though.
Basically, you have to understand how the script is working and find the trigger points in it, from there you can find out which variables you'd have to tweak and how much. There are no standard solutions, each game is different.

BB2019

Apr 5, 2019
@Penfold Mole

Thanks for the reply,

Apologies it was the defined characters and where it would be defined that “if annalove =100 then do this..”.

In previous versions i was able to open *.rpy files in editplus/notepad++ but couldnt read *.rpyc type.

Thanks

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
*.rpyc files are compiled *.rpy files. You need to decompile them to get them in *.rpy plain text format.
You can use a Python script named to decompile *.rpyc files, to extract *.rpa archives or use a script named UnRen with both of them intergated into it to do both and more. (In the tools section of this forum)

Reactions: BB2019