Ren'Py Renpy games lagging on animation loops

Perished

Dec 9, 2022
Hello,

I am new to AVNs and Renpy engine. I suspected some games I play have lag in scene animations like chugging and skipping some frames and some play just fine. Is there a way to fix it or is it related to my hardware?

Thanks.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
If you go into the game files and play the animations in a video player, it runs fine, right?

But when you run it it in renpy and open the task manager, you can see it's capping out your CPU usage, right?

Yea, this happens to me as well. Renpy sucks at playing animations. I've tried forcing it to run on my dedicated graphics card instead of the integrated one. I've tried Shift + G to mess with the renderer and FPS caps. I've tried playng the conpressed version of the games.

Not all renpy games have laggy animations, but for those that do, nothing I did fixed the issue.

Maybe someone can figure out a solution one day.

Perished

Dec 9, 2022
If you go into the game files and play the animations in a video player, it runs fine, right?

But when you run it it in renpy and open the task manager, you can see it's capping out your CPU usage, right?

Yea, this happens to me as well. Renpy sucks at playing animations. I've tried forcing it to run on my dedicated graphics card instead of the integrated one. I've tried Shift + G to mess with the renderer and FPS caps. I've tried playng the conpressed version of the games.

Not all renpy games have laggy animations, but for those that do, nothing I did fixed the issue.

Maybe someone can figure out a solution one day.
First think that comes to mind is GPU, not CPU for me for some reason. I'm a bit newbie so can't find video files to play outside of renpy, where are they generally located under game, lib or renpy folder?
Try running those in a window mode. Adjust it to be a bit smaller than your screen. :whistle::coffee:
Generally play AVNs in windowed mode, doesn't seem to fix the issue.

ViktorJerkov

Nov 10, 2017
i remember playing become a rockstar original size several months ago n had no lag problem in the animation,but few months ago i tried to play again but the animation for some reason lagging very very bad,even the compressed one also lagging as well. i have the same problem with lust theory season 2 but it's less laggy.

Last edited: