Ren'Py Renpy games won't launch solution windows7

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Can you post screenshots of the errors that you are facing? When you try to launch a Renpy game what error do you see? Can you share any trace logs?

It is just that your explanation of the problem is a bit vague from my vantage point (no offence). So any further supporting details that you can provide would be helpful.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it could very well be that the game you are trying to launch is unsupported by W7 (which I presume is the OS that you are launching the game from).

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Can you post screenshots of the errors that you are facing? When you try to launch a Renpy game what error do you see? Can you share any trace logs?

It is just that your explanation of the problem is a bit vague from my vantage point (no offence). So any further supporting details that you can provide would be helpful.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it could very well be that the game you are trying to launch is unsupported by W7 (which I presume is the OS that you are launching the game from).
he is giving a solution to players with windows 7 who can't run renpy games. that installing the windows update can fix it

but you're right, a screenshot of the error will help people understand what errors the update can fix. i don't know any general problems with windows 7 and renpy. is it newer renpy versions that are causing the issues? more information would be helpful

hasrty123

Nov 10, 2020
he is giving a solution to players with windows 7 who can't run renpy games. that installing the windows update can fix it

but you're right, a screenshot of the error will help people understand what errors the update can fix. i don't know any general problems with windows 7 and renpy. is it newer renpy versions that are causing the issues? more information would be helpful
The cursor stops after loading for a while and it neither opens nor appears in the task manager.
The Renpy file is not created, so it is impossible for any error to occur here.
Since there is no proper solution in the forum, I wanted to share it.

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
The cursor stops after loading for a while and it neither opens nor appears in the task manager.
The Renpy file is not created, so it is impossible for any error to occur here.
Since there is no proper solution in the forum, I wanted to share it.
Ok, I see. This additional context would have been important to briefly mention in the original post that you had made for clarity's sake.

But in any event, not sure what the problem could be here if the Renpy file isn't even being generated :unsure: If it is not an OS problem it might just be the version of Ren'Py that the game is running from as peterppp was alluding to in his response.

RenPy as a game engine is mostly backwards compatible though, . So, just try running a Windows update to keep your firmware up-to-date and see if that helps to fix anything.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, what are the names of the RenPY games that you are trying to run that are not being launched on your instance of W7?

Reactions: hasrty123

hasrty123

Nov 10, 2020
Ok, I see. This additional context would have been important to briefly mention in the original post that you had made for clarity's sake.

But in any event, not sure what the problem could be here if the Renpy file isn't even being generated :unsure: If it is not an OS problem it might just be the version of Ren'Py that the game is running from as peterppp was alluding to in his response.

RenPy as a game engine is mostly backwards compatible though, . So, just try running a Windows update to keep your firmware up-to-date and see if that helps to fix anything.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, what are the names of the RenPY games that you are trying to run that are not being launched on your instance of W7?
Windows7 SP1
It worked on much lower versions of Ren'py, but many new games did not open because higher versions were used.
You're right, but most people haven't found out that this is caused by OS.
Windows7 fans are still alive..

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Windows7 SP1
It worked on much lower versions of Ren'py, but many new games did not open because higher versions were used.
You're right, but most people haven't found out that this is caused by OS.
Windows7 fans are still alive..
can you give an example of a game that requires the update?

why wouldn't people have that update already if they still use windows 7?

hasrty123

Nov 10, 2020
can you give an example of a game that requires the update?

why wouldn't people have that update already if they still use windows 7?
You cant update it, the update has been deleted from the microsoft website.
example: lustworth academy

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
A game made with Ren'Py 8.1.3, that itself rely on Python 3.9.10. Python 3.9 series that was the first to not works with Windows 7 or earlier.

hasrty123

Nov 10, 2020
A game made with Ren'Py 8.1.3, that itself rely on Python 3.9.10. Python 3.9 series that was the first to not works with Windows 7 or earlier.
I was able to install higher versions of Python on Windows 7 using some methods.
if anyone need this :

Reactions: Fsfdss

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I was able to install higher versions of Python on Windows 7 using some methods.
if anyone need this :
And...

What happen if Ren'py need one of the features that are not available on Windows 7, and that are the reason why Python 3.9.x do not support Windows 7 ?

Where do you get a version of the librenpython library that is compatible both with Windows 7 and Ren'Py in the version you need for the game ?

Where do you get a version of PyGame sdl2, as altered for Ren'Py, that is compatible both with Windows 7 and Ren'Py in the version you need for the game ?

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
You cant update it, the update has been deleted from the microsoft website.
i tested that game on my old computer running windows 7 sp1 and it runs fine, for the minute i tested it at least. i don't have kb2533623 installed. i have python 3.8.9 on that computer.

hasrty123

Nov 10, 2020
And...

What happen if Ren'py need one of the features that are not available on Windows 7, and that are the reason why Python 3.9.x do not support Windows 7 ?

Where do you get a version of the librenpython library that is compatible both with Windows 7 and Ren'Py in the version you need for the game ?

Where do you get a version of PyGame sdl2, as altered for Ren'Py, that is compatible both with Windows 7 and Ren'Py in the version you need for the game ?
I don't know because I haven't encountered these problems.

i tested that game on my old computer running windows 7 sp1 and it runs fine, for the minute i tested it at least. i don't have kb2533623 installed. i have python 3.8.9 on that computer.
It didn't work for me either. It's great if it does work.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
i have python 3.8.9 on that computer.
It doesn't matters, Ren'Py games come with their own wpython.exe and use it.
Reason why an alternate installer is anyway useless, because the installation will never be an issue (there's none), while the local version of Python will not be used by Ren'Py.

As I implied above, the issue is "if" Ren'Py use parts unsupported by Windows 7, not that he currently use some.
My initial comment was more to point the fact that there's a big gap between the OS and the software, and in the wrong side, what will soon or later explode in the players face. Not to say that the game can't works. I'm almost sure that, as long as they don't rely on GL2, even the most recent Ren'Py games can works even on XP 64 bits.
But at anytime Ren'Py can starts using something that isn't supported by the OS ; either directly, or because Python now use an alternate way to do something, a way that pass through an unsupported API call.

As for the kb2533623 patch, it fix an issue with some CPUs that, under some low voltage, lead to Python having a weird fucked up behavior. So, if you don't have one of the faulty CPUs, or if you use it at a high enough voltage, you'll never get those errors.
But what OP is pointing can have a lot of other explanations. One being that Ren'Py can not find the Python interpreter, either because it's not present, present but not where expected, or because there's too wild characters in the path.

akshay79797

Apr 7, 2024
I am facing the same problem the 32 version of the game works fine but the 64 version doesn't.
I can't play those games which don't have 32-bit version