Renpy glitching graphics

happybrother

Aug 17, 2016
Hello,
I'd like to ask the community about how to tackle the problem.

Since I updated something in my computer (might have been the Nvidia card or a new movie player that I later deleted) the Renpy games became GLITCHY af.
This happens after short skipping of text. This happens in many games since then. Yet not in every game.
I've removed the previous version of the said player (it was to open .ts files), but this changed nothing.
Then I've tried to install some renpy specific codecs I found on some website, but that changed nothing.

Here's an example:
1689254679461.png

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
If you have made sure that your OS is up to date (and not Windows XP, 7, or 8/8.1) and your video drivers are up to date from the manufacturer (not just from "Microsoft Updates"), then...

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
There's something weird with the way the glitch is spread around the screen.
It's too precisely delimited, making it looks like it only happen on clickable parts. But in the same time the only obviously clickable element (the arrow) is glitch free.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Random stabs in the dark, since you were talking about a video player...

The video player probably installed some oddball codec or corrupted your existing ones somehow.

It's unlikely to fix it, but you might try a video codec pack, like K-Lite.

(Standard recommended)

Honestly, given it's static images that are being corrupted, rather than video file - I'm not especially hopeful. Equally, it can't really hurt at this stage either.

Failing that... in each game folder there's a file called log.txt.
Included within it is the version of RenPy that game is using.
You might want to see if there's any commonality between the games that work and the games that don't (I'm thinking ver >= 8.0).

Plus, some games ship with a 32bit version of the .exe file. You could try that too, in some cases.

Final stab... Grab the latest nvidia drivers:

Make sure sure to pick the "Custom" install option, so you can tick the "Perform a clean installation" checkbox.

Reactions: happybrother

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Honestly, given it's static images that are being corrupted, rather than video file - I'm not especially hopeful. Equally, it can't really hurt at this stage either.
I thought I said it, but just discovered that I forgot. I downloaded the game to look what could cause this, and the glitch concern the imagebutton added on top of the background as clickable for the free roaming part... but it also doesn't concern them...

What I mean is that for the stair and the door, the glitch correspond precisely to the image used by the imagebutton. But the carpet should fully glitch, and don't. As for the hallway, from memory there's four clickable here, and the image for the imagebuttons really contain the strict minimum, therefore even once combined they don't cover so much surface.

Yet I believe that it's an issue due to those imagebuttons. My guess is that for some unknown reason, the API function used to put the new image on top of the background is bugged, or that it get, or return, corrupted data.

What lead to:

Make sure sure to pick the "Custom" install option, so you can tick the "Perform a clean installation" checkbox.
Being probably the solution that have the most chance to succeed, unless the issue come from some in between code from Windows.

Reactions: happybrother

happybrother

Aug 17, 2016

I've also did a full reinstall of Nvidia drivers before posting. It wasn't the issue.

It's unlikely to fix it, but you might try a video codec pack, like K-Lite.

(Standard recommended)
But this codec pack above did solve the issue.
Previous reinstalls of codecs did nothing, but this did.

Although I did use "Codec Tweak Tool" that was installed along in the package. I did "refresh" something there, but these should have refreshed when reinstalling codecs.

Thank you.

Last edited: