Ren'Py Ren'Py help.

CreepyGhost

May 4, 2017
Hello fellow F95zoners!

I'm about to create a sci-fi AO sandbox renpy game but that's where I stuck. I learned the basics of Ren'Py, like adding pictures, music, changing UI etc. But the reason I created this post is this: I don't know how to code a game of this magnitude. Pretty much I want something like 'Orange Trainer' where the MC can move around his base, has a 'tactical map' element where he can plan assaults on a fleet or trade with traders. Not with the 'slave training' element, but letting the player choose how things will come out. Like encountering some events that will occur randomly when scouting or exploring new planets-star systems, relationships where you unlock new stuff (like train together, go to date or have... *ahem*) and many more. I also plan to create a huge star-system (like a main map thing) where in there the player will be able to explore and as I said, encounter various events.

I tried to check in here for a guide so I won't bother anyone, then tried google but all I found were the basics. Can someone point me some guides or share some tips? Giving me even something simple, I can figure out what to do.

Thanks for your time!

P.S. : Sorry it I posted this in wrong section. Please move it if I goofed.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Hello fellow I tried to check in here for a guide so I won't bother anyone, then tried google but all I found were the basics. Can someone point me some guides or share some tips? Giving me even something simple, I can figure out what to do.

Since you want "something like 'Orange Trainer'", why not simply taking a look at the code of the game and mess with it until you understand what every part do and why it works like this ? Because, honestly, you'll never find a guide teaching you all what you want. The subject is too vast, you need to know how to :
  • make a free roaming interface ;
  • manage an event system ;
  • manage a quest system ;
  • manage a character stats system ;

And here I just talk about the basis of a free roaming game, while apparently you want to add more specific features on top of it. There's no way you'll find a guide explaining all this. The only thing you can find is guides explaining one or the other ; and you're more likely to find guides explaining one aspect of one or the other, up to you to understand them then make everything a single code.
So, like I said, the best way is probably to look at how other games do it, and use them to learn how to do it yourself.

P.S. : Sorry it I posted this in wrong section. Please move it if I goofed.
Would probably have more its place one level above.
@bossapplesauce ?

Reactions: CreepyGhost and bas

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
Try following this tutorials:

I think she codes a game like the one you describing.

Reactions: CreepyGhost

CreepyGhost

May 4, 2017
Since you want "something like 'Orange Trainer'", why not simply taking a look at the code of the game and mess with it until you understand what every part do and why it works like this ? Because, honestly, you'll never find a guide teaching you all what you want. The subject is too vast, you need to know how to :
  • make a free roaming interface ;
  • manage an event system ;
  • manage a quest system ;
  • manage a character stats system ;

And here I just talk about the basis of a free roaming game, while apparently you want to add more specific features on top of it. There's no way you'll find a guide explaining all this. The only thing you can find is guides explaining one or the other ; and you're more likely to find guides explaining one aspect of one or the other, up to you to understand them then make everything a single code.
So, like I said, the best way is probably to look at how other games do it, and use them to learn how to do it yourself.

Would probably have more its place one level above.
@bossapplesauce ?
Thanks for taking time to reply. So, if I move any game into ren'py launcher, it will show me the content and the code? Because most renpy games I found here are encrypted and didn't even try to do that.

Try following this tutorials:

I think she codes a game like the one you describing.
Thank you for sharing it! I will check it out!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Because most renpy games I found here are encrypted and didn't even try to do that.
It's not encryption. They are pre-proceeded (rpyc) and eventually grouped (rpa), but at no time this process is irreversible. At anytime you can use and to reverse the process. Or use , which embed them, if you prefer an easy use approach.

Reactions: CreepyGhost

CreepyGhost

May 4, 2017
It's not encryption. They are pre-proceeded (rpyc) and eventually grouped (rpa), but at no time this process is irreversible. At anytime you can use and to reverse the process. Or use , which embed them, if you prefer an easy use approach.
Thanks a lot! I will try using them and if I have any problem, I will let you know. Billions and trillions of thanks for your time!