Renpy Isn't Bringing Up My Game; Missing Game Data in TMP?

Nothing Clever

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
Hey there everyone.

So, I've been collecting the pictures for the second chapter of my game, and in that time, I never started up ren'py-just didn't need to. But I just finished collecting that art, and when I started up ren'py, my game didn't come up as a listed/current project. That's alarming, but I can find the data in my computer, under the tmp file (located in the main ren'py file that I left on my desktop). After doing a bit of research, this reddit page seemed like it was talking about the problem I'm now having:

I tried following the advice listed there, but nothing worked.

So... am I just screwed? While I've done a bit of computer organizing, I don't think I ever, EVER touched any of my ren'py data. What's going on here?

Edit: Oh yeah, I tried to create a new project with the name of the main project I was working on, and it couldn't do it, saying there was already a project with that name. WTF?

Last edited:

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Assuming you've done the little stuff like making sure that the name of the directory and/or folders/files haven't changed, then perhaps try deleting persistent (under "Actions) and restarting renpy. Probably won't work, but it's worth a shot. The next easiest step is to try a newer stable version, or perhaps older if you're on the newest version. Go to Preferences and see if your directory is set correctly, as it seems to be a common issue for some: , , . Copy and paste the files somewhere else and change the directory in renpy's preferences to that new one.

Something else you can try is to wipe the entirety of that version of Renpy off your computer. Files, project directories, etc. Back up everything you need than do a cleanup of your PC with CCleaner or Bleachbit (both are free. Avoid registry cleaning.) to clear any residual files. Then reinstall/download the version of Renpy you want/used for your game and see if a fresh install works.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Edit: Oh yeah, I tried to create a new project with the name of the main project I was working on, and it couldn't do it, saying there was already a project with that name. WTF?
Hmm... This error message have only two way to be triggered.
The first one is when the project name is already in the list of known project, but then it should appear on the SDK. As for the second one, it's when there's always a directory corresponding to this project.

Something else you can try is to wipe the entirety of that version of Renpy off your computer. Files, project directories, etc.
Before going this far, he can try to reset the SDK. Assuming that he is on Windows:
  • Close the SDK ;
  • Delete the file "persistent." in the directory "[path to the SDK]/launcher/game/saves" ;
  • Delete the directory "[username]/AppData/Roaming/RenPy/launcher-4" (the number can possibly be different) ;
  • Delete the file "launcher.renpy.org" in the directory "[username]/AppData/Roaming/RenPy/persistent" ;
  • Rename your project directory in whatever you want ("[projectName]_OLD" by example) ;
  • Start again the SDK and create a new project ;
  • Create a new project with the name of your game ;
  • Copy the file of your project into the newly created directory.
This should works since Ren'Py have lost all its memory of the past.

There will still be an issue, the fact that the project disappeared. But at least you would get back your project.

Nothing Clever

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2021
So, a quick update. While I am so thankful for your guys' info, nothing was really working. Ultimately, I had the game data backed up, so I made a new project with the same name (which I got to work somehow) and just copy and pasted. And, lo and behold, the game works exactly as it should. So, for any future readers who happen to stumble upon this post, here's my advice. Ahem.

Back.

Up.

Your.

DATA!

Seriously, not just for your dumb sex game, but like, FOR ANYTHING!!!