Renpy Lag

Apr 13, 2024
Just a quick question for you guys.
Now and then I get a Renpy game where it runs super smooth, but then I get others where it's like they lag and take ages to get to the next scene even with clicking. The only way I can resolve it is by saving, closing the game and then reloading and continuing until it lags again. Any ideas on what causes it and if I can prevent it?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Any ideas on what causes it and if I can prevent it?
Without example it's hard to answer, if I had to guess, what I have to do, I would say: Tell the dev to learn the difference between show and scene.

Reactions: Inkshade
Apr 13, 2024
Without example it's hard to answer, if I had to guess, what I have to do, I would say: Tell the dev to learn the difference between show and scene.
To describe it. Basically going along with the story and all of a sudden it just lags heavily. I imagine it's similar to a console game when a dev leaves loads of shitty files around and even something like a pause screen causes the console fan to go into overdrive because its reading so much shite that should have been taken out.

But it does tend to happen on the lower-ish quality games. For example The Bum has great visuals and near constant animation and I have no issues with it, but then I can play a game which only has the odd animation but its the story sections that get all laggy. Apologies if my description was bad.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
To describe it. Basically going along with the story and all of a sudden it just lags heavily. I imagine it's similar to a console game when a dev leaves loads of shitty files around and even something like a pause screen causes the console fan to go into overdrive because its reading so much shite that should have been taken out.

But it does tend to happen on the lower-ish quality games. For example The Bum has great visuals and near constant animation and I have no issues with it, but then I can play a game which only has the odd animation but its the story sections that get all laggy. Apologies if my description was bad.
What anne is trying to say is that the dev fucked up. Nothing you can do about it, if not playing better coded games.

Reactions: Misarmor

Goeffel

Sep 10, 2022
Well if you have enough RAM, what you can always do is create a ramdisk, copy the game - and external libraries it may want (RGSS.this or some such) - to there, and play from there.
(ramdisk is ~80 times faster than SSD)

some ramdisk tools come with qol features, like making an image from ramdisk-with-game that can then (next time) be easily loaded.
But you NEED to remember that you are playing from an ephemeral virtual harddisk. If you switch off your PC without first saving to physical harddisk, all new savegames and whatnot are GONE.

I very much liked the imdisk tool.

Inkshade

Game Developer
Mar 11, 2024

basically "show" is use to display multiple layers of image on top of eachoter, and "scene" is to clear the board and only display one singular image.
So when a devs doesnt understand the differeces and use "show" for everything, eventually it will reach a point where the game would be displaying hundreds or thousands of images on top of eachother, causing the game to clogged the f-up, while the players still can only see the top layer image.