Ren'Py [Ren'Py] Looking for feedback - looking for pointers/help

Rystvalya

Aug 24, 2019
This is my first attempt at a game and I've taken a step back to review my navigation and redo my artwork... can't call it better, just cleaner. But I CLEARLY need assistance. I've attached some early screenshots of the game so far

screenshot0001.png screenshot0003.png screenshot0004.png screenshot0005.png screenshot0007.png

The Plot:
You play as Kassie as she struggles to make ends meet in the real world. But a series of financial setback and shady lenders has put her it serious trouble. But she's given a way out by working her debt off in a gaming competition. But it's not as simple s it sounds... while winning earns you money and one step closer to your freedom, losing will cost you a lot more than a few dollars. Will Kassie earn her way out, or will she break and be stuck here forever? Make friends, build romances, humiliate your opponents, and compete for glory.

The Gameplay:
Overall the game is a standard VN where your stats effect your interactions with your teammates and competitors, allowing you to purchase items to help you and build your skills along the way. But you can only go so far without competing in the games which (for the time being) will be a series of minigames where your skills and domination over your opponent effect your outcome. This wins you your money, pays off your debts, and effects your relationships.

The struggle:
Since this is my first game I've got the basics of VN structure down but the game is giving me trouble. Apparently I'm working off an old script and I think knowing what I'm doing wrong, but more so I a struggling to figure out how to set outfits and redefine outfits that are selected. I'm open to advice or troubleshooting, and if this is ever met with any level of success I'd love to get a programmer.

Last edited:

pasunna

Game Developer
Feb 11, 2019
Just post the link then
People that have time will give it a shot
But first post some screen shot
Text can’t explain much to draw attention
It’s the first draft good or bad it’s not hurt

Reactions: Rystvalya

Rystvalya

Aug 24, 2019
Just post the link then
People that have time will give it a shot
But first post some screen shot
Text can’t explain much to draw attention
It’s the first draft good or bad it’s not hurt
Thanks for the suggestion. Added some screenshots and the link

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Hey I'm attempting to learn ren'py. I have 2 questions that I hope you can answer.
1. How do you add a font to ren'py. I need more information than "add it to you game folder"
2. test images are too big for the display window. How do I resize an image to fit?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
1. How do you add a font to ren'py. I need more information than "add it to you game folder"
By using the configuration value, as well as the gui.text_font and gui.name_text_font ones, that can be found in the "guy.rpy" file. And by using the property of styles.

2. test images are too big for the display window. How do I resize an image to fit?
Among other way, you can use the, now undocumented, function or the displayable.

Reactions: RustyV

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
I'll ask the obvious question... how did you create those "test images"?

Because my gut feel is that you should be fixing things there. If you're using Daz3D... then your render settings should match your target game's screen size (Usually 1280x720 or 1920x1080 these days... although extra credit for using 2560x1440).

Apart from that... when you created your RenPy project, it should have asked you what size of screen you wanted to use. So maybe you're rendering 1920x1080 and you selected 1280x720 when you created the RenPy project?

(If you did, you could in theory update your gui.rpy file to change the gui.init(1280, 720) to gui.init(1920, 1080) - but there are also a lot of preset images that are sized based on the screen size selected when you created the project that would need reworking too... so honestly, it's probably easier to create a brand new project and copy your scripts files into it (but probably not gui.rpy).

If you didn't actually create the images yourself, you could always use a graphics editor like Photoshop or to resize the images for you. Which would be a pain, depending on how many images you're talking about - but still a lot easier than most of the other possibilities.

Finally, you could get RenPy to resize the image for you using 's zoom.

Imagine I have image that is 1920x1080 and my game is actually running at 1280x720.
When I do scene my_1080p_image with dissolve, the picture is shown centered, but anchored to the bottom of the screen (So using xalign 0.5 yalign 1.0).

However, I can fix that by effectively zooming out. I divide my screen size by my image size (720 / 1080 = 0.6666666) and use that as my zoom amount.

Python:
    scene my_1080p_image with dissolve:
        zoom 0.6666
note that colon on the end which extends the definition to include animation/transformation manipulation.

And now I can see the whole image.

I wouldn't suggest that as a long term solution. Resizing the images before they get anywhere near RenPy is a much better solution than this kludge. Not least, because why would you want your game download size to be way larger than it needs to be?

So yeah... how did you create your test images? And what image dimensions are we talking about?

Reactions: RustyV

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
By using the configuration value, as well as the gui.text_font and gui.name_text_font ones, that can be found in the "guy.rpy" file. And by using the property of styles.

Among other way, you can use the, now undocumented, function or the displayable.
What if I want to import a font to ren'py?
How do I add an outside font?