Renpy Mac Compatibility

The Coder

Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Hi All,

I am developing a renpy based game (here).
I test windows and android version, never test mac version.
Personally I don't have a mac machine, I had a comment saying "It does not work on my Mac" ( I am lost here)
Is there any documentation that tells renpy is compatible with say "Mac 1.0" or something?
Or any way to test mac version on windows (if so please let me know the strategy which you personally like)

Thank you
Best Regards

Last edited:

Basilicata

Radioactive Member
Game Developer
Oct 24, 2017
Hey, I use the simple way... I ask one of my followers who has mac to run it and give me feedback. He gets the latest version, like he s a patron, and I am sure my mac release works.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Is there any documentation that tells renpy is compatible with say "Mac 1.0" or something?
Yes, the official documentation that come with the SDK ; Ren'py run on any "Macintosh OS X on Intel processors".

This said, MacOS X and Ren'py are known to not really like each others. Globally it works, but there's some small differences that sometimes can break the game. So, following Basilicata advice is the best way to go for this.

Reactions: Basilicata

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I've never had an incompatibility issue with Ren'Py and MacOS. It works just fine.

Now, there might be other issues causing the problem.

Did you ship out the zip that Ren'Py made, or did you unzip that and make a rar/7z? Or make changes and re-zip it?

If the user is running Catalina (the latest release version), it might have stripped execute permissions as part of its anti-malware features. In that case, point the user at Permission Fixer.

I assume you're talking about https://f95zone.to/threads/lustful-awakening-v0-2-the-coder.52066/ .
Suggestions:
  1. Make some signature images. Put them in your signature, with links to your game's thread and your Patreon
  2. Don't ship images in png format! At least change them to jpegs; better would be lossless webp. Your game, at 1.1 gigs, is too big!
I downloaded Lustful Awakening, and found that the launch script is in DOS format, not Unix format. My guess is renpy.sh in the SDK has DOS line endings (CRLF) instead of the required Unix (LF) line endings. Are you using version control that does automatic line ending conversion?

They had the same issue on Ecchi Sensei. See this post: https://f95zone.to/threads/ecchi-sensei-day-20-21-final-bluecat.14927/post-2705915

Last edited: