Renpy question: splitting the script in multiple files + Solved

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
Alright, so I had a much longer message.....since I solved the issue I deleted it....

but I think I should leave the post here, though, just in case other noobs like me have issues using multiple files.

Basically I opened new files, and saved them, but everything I put in them didn't work.....

So, if others, unlikely, are as dense as I can sometimes be when coding:

the files need to be saved as .rpy
In other words any new file will be called \untitled' and then you have to save as + whatever name.rpy

I'm sure this is blatantly obvious to most of you, and in fact it was somewhat obvious to me too that the file should be an .rpy file...
So, what is the issue, you may ask? The issue is that I expected the program to automatically save the files as .rpy
I mean, why would I want to create any other type of file in a renpy editor? Would I use renpy to create a word file? Of course not.... so I really don't get why the program doesn't just save all new files as .rpy

anyways, glad I figured it out on my own....but not so glad I wasted almost an hour on this
oh well, gotta learn one step at a time I guess

Last edited:

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
So, what is the issue, you may ask? The issue is that I expected the program to automatically save the files as .rpy
I mean, why would I want to create any other type of file in a renpy editor? Would I use renpy to create a word file? Of course not.... so I really don't get why the program doesn't just save all new files as .rpy
The reason for this is that all the editors that Ren'py has integrated into it (Atom, for example) are actually general-purpose editors available "out there." They're not actually Ren'py-specific editors. PyTom just figured out how to automatically download, install and launch them from within Ren'py to make your life easier. (Plus added a Ren'py syntax highlighter, but Atom can syntax highlight for dozens of languages.)

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
They're not actually Ren'py-specific editors.
The pitfall of too much integration.
Like you've just to click on a button of the SDK to edit one of the default file, or of the error screen to edit the file where's the error, you don't necessarily perceive that you're not anymore on a Ren'Py thing.

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019
I don't mind non-specific editors, it only makes them more versatile and I can edit files from a different engine with it.

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
The reason for this is that all the editors that Ren'py has integrated into it (Atom, for example) are actually general-purpose editors available "out there." They're not actually Ren'py-specific editors. PyTom just figured out how to automatically download, install and launch them from within Ren'py to make your life easier. (Plus added a Ren'py syntax highlighter, but Atom can syntax highlight for dozens of languages.)

Okay, that makes sense......but it's still a little counter-intuitive to have to .rpy each file

It's not a big deal, but people used to other types of software might not realize it's necessary to do that.

Let's say, for example, I create a document in Word. Sure, I could save it as many types (like a pdf) but the default setting is to save it as a word file..... if I need to save it as something else I will look at the other options.

When we use renpy I still think it would make more sense to auto save as .rpy but with the option of saving the doc as a different type of file if needed.

AmazonessKing

Amazoness Entrepreneur
Aug 13, 2019
but it's still a little counter-intuitive to have to .rpy each file
No offense, but this is standard computer thing. If something, I recommend you to change your PC settings to always show the file extension just in case, that way there's no way you will be confused again.
files.PNG files2.PNG
When we use renpy I still think it would make more sense to auto save as .rpy
The file editors are not associated with Ren'py, they are standard, meaning they can work with anything other than renpy. It's just a process of learning.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
When we use renpy I still think it would make more sense to auto save as .rpy [...]
And how the editor know that you are creating a file for Ren'py, and that the extension for such files is "rpy" ? I mean, the program you used to edit the file is not Ren'py, and is not related to Ren'py. So, it react exactly like Word... when you save a file, if you don't specify another extension, it will save by its default one. And like it's a text editor and not a Ren'py file editor, I assume that this extension is ".txt"...

Reactions: AmazonessKing