Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Restoration Patches: Hide Interface v2.2 - Toggle Quick Menu v7.8 - Change Save Name v1.0

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Thamn

Aug 6, 2016
Some Ren'Py games are coming out with a few of the normal features removed so I created these patches to restore them. They're independent from each other and should work on most games.

Hide Interface
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Toggle Quick Menu

Change Save Name

I created these patches for my personal use and have been refining them according to the games I play and what I want from them, I hope they're as useful to you as they are to me. I used to leave previous versions up for those who wanted them but I feel that the improvements of version 6.2 are so big that it makes no sense to keep them here and cause confusion.

Last edited:

Thamn

Aug 6, 2016
I changed my approach on the restoration and toggle patches to fix issues I ran into while playing specific games. The hide interface patch has survived the testing so far.

The restoration patch now creates a new quick menu instead of trying to restore the old one which might be only partially erased. For that reason it needs a different toggle so I included it in the patch. The side effect is that the quick_menu_restoration and the quick_menu_toggle are now mutually exclusive, only one may be present in the /game folder.

The toggle patch had an issue when the quick_menu wasn't even defined by the developer so I had to add a catch to define it if it wasn't already. Other structural changes were made to remove unnecessary checks and make the code more streamlined.

To avoid overriding a custom quick menu that is hidden only in certain sections of the game, use the quick_menu_toggle first, it's enough for most games. For the games where it doesn't do anything remove the quick_menu_toggle file and use the quick_menu_restoration instead. If anyone has any idea how this can be automated within the limitations of Ren'Py I'm all ears. Enjoy.

Thamn

Aug 6, 2016
Thanks Thamn,

I like the Toggle Quick Menu with q.
I'm glad you liked it.

I updated the toggle to version 2.0 after playing a game that had a quick menu but was missing the functions I wanted from it. The toggle wasn't useful in this case and the restore would overlap both menus. To solve this I made separate toggles for 3 quick menus:
  • the one made by the developer with the same 'Q' key as before;
  • the complete Ren'Py menu which can be toggled with 'A';
  • and the menu I prefer which only has Skip, QuickSave and QuickLoad, toggled with 'W'.
After this it was easy to solve the problem, I just had to press 'Q' to disable the developer's menu and press 'W' to enable mine.

This update makes both the "_toggle_quick_menu_v1.1" and the "_restore_quick_menu_v1.1" patches obsolete and means I no longer need to leave the game and choose the appropriate file depending on how the menu was disabled, now I can just add this to every game and have complete control without worrying about conflicts.

As it stands, v2.0 should be compatible with every game and still be capable of toggling the new complete and custom quick menus without having to leave the game even if the developer removed the native one. Have fun.

YaYa_UnTIN2

Misunderstood Thinker
Donor
Dec 19, 2017
Hi Thamn,

Way too long reply commence... :)

More people should try out your mod tool, it's good. :)

P.S. - You should add a link to your mod in your signature so more people would use it. If there are gamer(s) like myself which dislike having "UI things" in the way while playing Ren'Py games, using your mod can add to the tool-kit Ren'Py users can use to enjoy games our way.

P.S.S. - Sorry for the novel. Yay, for the spoiler tag!

Thamn

Aug 6, 2016
In the midst of all the games working perfectly I found 3 games that don't comply with all the features of my toggle patch, for different reasons. The good news is that since the mod doesn't mess with anything in the game there's no errors or conflicts, everything works as the developer made it, only some of my extra features might fail. I'll go through each case to explain what's happening:

With that out of the way, I'm updating the toggle to version 2.1, turns out only lowercase keys were being recognized so if caps lock was on the keys did nothing. It now accepts both lowercase and uppercase Q, W and A.

The files attached to this comment are specific to to the games on their name. Installation is the same, drop the file in the /game folder. The file _configure_quick_menu_v1.1.rpy is the simple version that should be compatible with most games that don't even configure the buttons so they end up slightly bigger. The extra size is not too bad so use it only if it really bothers you and never on games that don't have the issue, this is not passive like the toggle and will cause crashes under the right (wrong) circumstances. They all still rely on the toggle present on the main post to actually be useful, this is only to prepare the relevant games for it. If anything goes wrong, removing the files will fix it, it's not persistent.

LarryK

Jan 9, 2020
I use both your patches on a regular basis, but have encountered an issue in one particular game (Long live the Princess). In this particular instance the font size in the quick menu mod is overly large, and I cannot find a way to change it. Any ideas?

Thamn

Aug 6, 2016
I have updated both patches so caps lock doesn't interfere with the keys and removed the use of the 'A' in the quick menu toggle patch because it was blocking a Ren'py menu I didn't know existed that already used 'A' to activate it. The default complete quick menu has been moved to the 'W' key and the smaller one moved to 'Shift+Q'.

Also, due to the completely different user interface used by Mortze in his new game "SWe1: The Warrior's Heart" and the lack of a quick save and quick load button I created an abbreviated version of the quick menu with only Skip, Q.S. and Q.L. aligned to the right side so it sits below his quick menu. And since I was at it I added others to the bottom left and top center just in case I need them later. They're assigned to 'Alt+W' for the right, 'Shift+W' for the left and 'Alt+Q' for the top.

Hide Interface is now version 2.0 and Toggle Quick Menu is now version 3.3 (several versions existed between 2.1 and 3.3 but none was ready to be shared, they were personal tweaks and experiments). At this point these are the only files that should be used universally, the older versions are inferior in every way and are only there in case someone still wants to use them for some reason. The same limitations about developers removing too much code that text size is affected are still present which leads me to this next part.

I use both your patches on a regular basis, but have encountered an issue in one particular game (Long live the Princess). In this particular instance the font size in the quick menu mod is overly large, and I cannot find a way to change it. Any ideas?
Hi, I'm sorry for the delay, I didn't get a notification and only saw your post now that I came here to update the patches. I've tried the most recent version of Long Live the Princess (0.30.0) and I can't reproduce what you're describing but it sounds like the hypothetical issue I mentioned above in post #4 and later encountered in "Indecent Desires" and fixed with the "_configure_quick_menu_v1.1.rpy" file in post #6. However, in this particular case, that piece of code is already present in the game files and so that patch won't change anything.

With that said, before delving deeper into the code and since I don't have that issue on my end, try a clean download of the most recent version of both the game (0.30.0) and my patch (3.3) and see if the issue persists. If it does try pressing 'A' to open the menu that was previously blocked by version 2.1 of my patch and reset or lower the Text Size Scaling, it might have been raised for some reason and that change appears to be persistent across saves.

On a side note, Mortze's game mentioned above suffers from that previously hypothetical problem in which the code that sets the style of the quick menu text has been removed so it becomes bigger than normal and in that instance the file I posted before in post #6 fixes it. I can't incorporate that into my normal patch because Ren'Py doesn't really like it when the same variables are set twice and can cause the game to crash at startup which goes against what I'm trying to achieve with it, I'd rather have bigger text on a menu the dev removed and fix it with a second patch than a crash in a game that wasn't altered.

Thamn

Aug 6, 2016
I have updated the quick menu patch to version 6.2 and you can now fully customize the size, spacing and position of the quick menu to your liking. As an example, in the game "The DeLuca Family" I moved the custom quick menu to the already existing menu on the top left so it looks like it belongs there, as you can see from the image below. This should allow you to resolve any size issues you might have from now on.

The_DeLuca_Family.jpg

As for the update itself, I got rid of all the different quick menu presets in favor of a single customizable quick menu that can be tailored to each game and preference. There's now only 3 hotkeys that are needed:
  • 'Q' to toggle the native quick menu as usual (which might not exist or be heavily customized to the point that this patch can't control it);
  • 'W' to toggle the custom quick menu and its configuration window (cycling between quick menu with configuration window, quick menu without configuration window and no quick menu or configuration window);
  • 'Shift+W' as a safeguard to reset the custom quick menu in case something goes wrong.
The customization options can be seen in the image above. A red outline on the text of a button means that the option is toggled off, as does a light background. A dark background means it's on. The buttons without background on the bottom side of the configuration window aren't toggles and simply execute their function when pressed.

I've been changing this patch a lot internally for the past couple of months (v3.3 to v6.2) but it was never a finished product. I'll probably continue to perfect it as ideas come to mind but I feel that it's now at a good enough level that it can be of use to you all so I cleaned up the code and uploaded it here. There's only so much testing I can do on my own so if you encounter any issues please mention them here so I can take a look at it. Enjoy.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: LarryK

Thamn

Aug 6, 2016
Hi Thamn, please tell me how to make _enable_hide_interface_v2.0.rpy work for this game?
Hi, what issue are you having with that game that is preventing you from hiding the interface? I checked it out first without the patch and it seems to be hiding the interface except when the Caps Lock key is active which is usually how most Ren'Py games work. After adding the patch I found the same behavior so I updated it to version 2.1 to fix it, now it works with or without Caps Lock, thank you for indirectly calling this to my attention.

From my limited testing that game appears to be working normally and doesn't need the patch so I'm going to need more information to help you, is there some open world area later in the game that prevents you from hiding the interface or are you unable to do it at all times?

Mar 17, 2018
Hi, what issue are you having with that game that is preventing you from hiding the interface?

From my limited testing that game appears to be working normally and doesn't need the patch so I'm going to need more information to help you, is there some open world area later in the game that prevents you from hiding the interface or are you unable to do it at all times?
The situation is such that the mouse wheel is running rollback and it is worth using it once as hiding the interface stops working. I tried to fix it myself, but my knowledge was not enough. :(

P/s game version 0.7.1a hiding the interface (_enable_hide_interface.rpy) worked even through rollback though once. And in the new version 0.8.0b it doesn't work anymore, so I thought it doesn't work at all.

Thamn

Aug 6, 2016
The situation is such that the mouse wheel is running rollback and it is worth using it once as hiding the interface stops working. I tried to fix it myself, but my knowledge was not enough. :(

P/s game version 0.7.1a hiding the interface (_enable_hide_interface.rpy) worked even through rollback though once. And in the new version 0.8.0b it doesn't work anymore, so I thought it doesn't work at all.
Do you have a game save that is affected? Starting a new game on my side in either version works well and from reading the game thread it looks like only some people are having this problem and it only starts somewhere in the middle of the game, possibly after some error. This patch wasn't really written to fix a bug, I made it as simple workaround for the game Milfy City that actively prevents players from hiding the interface in most situations so I made no exceptions to catch bugs, it relies on the same procedures as every other game but in a way that Milfy City won't block it (unless the devs specifically target it which would be silly on their part and easy to circumvent anyway). To address the issue you're having I need to replicate it first on my side otherwise I can't fix something I can't see because I won't know if it's fixed. An affected save file would help but if you know exactly what I can do to reproduce the problem on my side it would be even better.

Thamn

Aug 6, 2016
Sorry for taking so long to answer. Here's the save file, on page 281. Thank you very much!
View attachment 776244
I updated the patch, version 2.2 will fix this particular issue, let me know if you have any other problems. You'll have to press the key twice because the first time will only reset it. This will fix itself every time the game does it again. If you're interested in the technical side of things:

abada25

Sep 30, 2019
May i ask something, is it possible to remove quick menu alltogether from a game? It is kinda annoying that when i use q to hide it, it reappears when i use load etc.

Thamn

Aug 6, 2016
May i ask something, is it possible to remove quick menu alltogether from a game? It is kinda annoying that when i use q to hide it, it reappears when i use load etc.
Hi. To directly answer your question: yes, it is possible to completely remove the quick menu from a game by deleting the contents of the quick_menu() screen in the screens.rpy file, this way there's nothing to show in the screen even when it's active.

As for the behavior you're experiencing with my patch I'll need to know which game is doing that. Under normal circumstances the quick menu should remain hidden unless the developer actively calls for it again which is possible, they can easily add that to loading as a precaution for when it disappears on its own and others don't even use a variable, they just call the quick menu when they want it, the native quick menu is under the complete control of the developers. Since I can't account for these alternate ways until I see them I'll need more information to make some kind of override to force it to stay hidden.

Reactions: abada25

abada25

Sep 30, 2019
Hi. To directly answer your question: yes, it is possible to completely remove the quick menu from a game by deleting the contents of the quick_menu() screen in the screens.rpy file, this way there's nothing to show in the screen even when it's active.

As for the behavior you're experiencing with my patch I'll need to know which game is doing that. Under normal circumstances the quick menu should remain hidden unless the developer actively calls for it again which is possible, they can easily add that to loading as a precaution for when it disappears on its own and others don't even use a variable, they just call the quick menu when they want it, the native quick menu is under the complete control of the developers. Since I can't account for these alternate ways until I see them I'll need more information to make some kind of override to force it to stay hidden.

Well, for some reason it works now. Looks like i did something wrong before. (The game was Patronus btw)

frozenfeet

Aug 2, 2019
These mods are fantastic.

I was wondering do you think you could make a mod to revert Happy Summer
"Save Menu" to its default, His save menu only has 20 save slots, and to stop the game from blocking saving during dialogue?

Also another game with an save issue is "Room for rent"
. This dev blocks you from saving at all except once a day when the day is over.

I tried it myself but I don't know that much about RenPy so it was half-assed. I was able to get the ability to save during dialogue in "Happy Summer" but fixing the save menu was much more difficult for me and I was messing up the look of the UI.

In "Room for rent" I was able to enable the save game feature as normal except I had to put his save game call function at the beginning of the game to enable it right away which calls the "Day 2" screen. Which isn't really to bad since it is just an one time thing.

I guess I really need to just look at the base code for these functions and maybe that would help me figure out how to revert these to normal function. Is there a tutorial for this or do you just look at the scripts in the games RenPy folder?

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes