Ren'Py Ren'Py skip functions

GordonShock

Jul 23, 2021
Hello all,

The world of adult games is still fresh to me, and I am quite enjoying the ride so far. The games I appreciate the most are mostly either Ren'Py or RPGM.

As you know Ren'Py has a skip features and I'm probably very stupid here but I'm not sure if they are working or if they do I can't really tell.

At the moment I am playing Holiday Island and its skip feature comes in three flavors

-Unseen texts
-After choices
-Transitions

The third one works as it should but for the first two, I cannot tell, whether they are ticked or not. I've looked at Ren'Py's documentation about preferences and their description makes sense but in this game at least I do not see how it is implemented.

I'm no coder and perhaps the preferences can be modified by a dev and the official description and actual implementation may differ or do they work the same regardless?

If it is possible for one of you to explain the first two options in layman terms I just might "get it" ;)

Appreciate your time.

GS

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
Hey, so first of all, you can skip text and advance a game in Ren'Py by holding Ctrl or pressing Tab. By default, you'd only skip text that you already saw. This can be useful to quickly catch up to where you were if something happened to your save, skip the content you don't like, check out other routes in the game by skipping things you've already seen/read.

The unseen text option makes it so that all text is skipped instead of just the one you already saw. After choices option when active will resume skipping after a choice. If False, a choice will prevent Ren'Py from skipping.
Skipping is obviously only possible where there's text content, it won't work if you need to interact with something.

There's also fast skipping which is a bit more advanced, it skips between choices (still follows the unseen text setting). So, if you've seen all the text between some choices or have the unseen text option on, you'd jump straight to the next choice skipping all the text and images. It can be used by enabling dev mod (can be done with unren) and pressing > symbol.

Reactions: GordonShock

GordonShock

Jul 23, 2021
Thank you LightmanP, it makes a lot more sense now and I guess it will sink in as I continue to play.

I do know about the "ctrl" function and mapped it on one of my MMO mouse buttons for quick access, it's just that I was under the impression that the skip function would be something more than it actually is, I guess this stems from my lack of programming knowledge.

Thanks again.

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
Thank you LightmanP, it makes a lot more sense now and I guess it will sink in as I continue to play.

I do know about the "ctrl" function and mapped it on one of my MMO mouse buttons for quick access, it's just that I was under the impression that the skip function would be something more than it actually is, I guess this stems from my lack of programming knowledge.

Thanks again.
You're welcome :)

Reactions: GordonShock