Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Transparent Text Box Mod v2.6.4

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
I don't see the point on doing this, if someone is so desperate to see the whole render in the scene the only thing he has to do is to press [H]...

Removing main UI elements just make the game look unfinished, lazily made, like a draft demo...

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
I don't see the point on doing this, if someone is so desperate to see the whole render in the scene the only thing he has to do is to press [H]...

Removing main UI elements just make the game look unfinished, lazily made, like a draft demo...
That's your opinion that you are entitled to, but not everyone wants to tap the H-key all the time.
I explained the reasons behind creating my patch in the OP, I won't repeat myself here.
Apparently a whole bunch of people think the same way I do. But you are most welcome to abuse your H-key as much as you want and never use my patch. :rolleyes:

By the way, the dialog box background is set by Ren'Py by default and games with the standard non-customized UI all have it, making it a typical characteristic of draft demos and unfinished games ;)

Reactions: Namco15

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Only a very limited number of games need individual settings and once they're created, they hardly ever have to be updated a bit. Usually it happens when a new character is introduced to the game or a part of UI is redesigned.
For most Ren'Py games it works out-of the-box and there is never any need to update the code for them.
The most time consuming thing is to find those custom made settings that my patch is unable to modify and even that doesn't take as much time as you seem to think.
In fact, I don't have that much free time as many forum members here seem to have. It's just that my patch is so small and simple that maintaining it usually doesn't take more time than updating the OP of this thread. I don't do that too often just because I'm lazy as fuck :winkytongue: and mostly prefer to do other things.
Writing these answers here today took me more time than I've been spending on maintaining this patch in several months. :coldsweat:

I can see that you're a bit new to Ren'Py and its standard built-in features.

Namco15

LESS TALKING MORE RAIDING!
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2016
message from dev
It has nothing to do with save game compatibility, it's just a missing image for people who used the transparent overlay, that for some reason wasn't present in the CE version, my bad!
The patch still doesn't work for Our Fate. I've tried v2.5.2, v2.4.6 and v2.5.3. Any suggestions or is that game a lost cause?
Thanks for reporting!
At first I didn't understand what you were talking about, since it has been working for me since the first published version of this game and it still is. Kind of...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Now I started to look into it and tested the new version of the game without my patch. And I discovered that there is now a button named "Overlay" added to the original quick menu of this game that can toggle the background:

And when dialog box background is switched on from there (as it probably is by default in a newly started game):

then my patch is unable to hide it. Also the outline of the text differs from the kind set in my patch. I didn't even notice it myself before!
So it looks like my patch really isn't working for this game any more. Well, most of it, the main functionality.

I can probably make it work again, should I look into it and create individual settings for this game. There was no need for it in the first version(s) of OurFate. This is why the background is still off in my old saves.
I probably will do that some time, just not right away. Especially because the game itself now has an option to hide the background and an outline is added to the text by default.

Until then just remove my patch (delete y_outline.rpy and y_outline.rpyc files from the "game" sub-folder) and switch the background off from the original quick menu button.

Or, in case you would like to use the split kind of less visible quick menu or toggle it via shortcut keys in-game, then you can add my patch after you have switched off the background from the original quick menu.
My patch unfortunately is unable to do that right now for you, since the toggle system created in this game doesn't seem to be using Ren'Py's default style settings for the background that my patch modifies. It most likely could have been used, but the dev chose to create his own custom settings for it. This is something I can not predict, I can only create individual settings for the game after they have been created and I have been able to figure out what and where they are in there*.

Only the quick menu part of my patch seems to be working right now in this game.

Thanks for bringing this problem into my attention, I was totally unaware of it!

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Thanks @Namco15, I read about it before and managed to forget it already :). However, it doesn't seem to be the case here, as I tested it now myself and in the Our Fate version I downloaded, there already is a fully transparent background image for the text box, that the patch posted by CedSense would otherwise add.

It is in fact the problem of the custom code he added to make the background image switchable.

Reactions: Namco15

Namco15

LESS TALKING MORE RAIDING!
Game Developer
Nov 23, 2016
I see, you're a very funny kind of

You went to all the trouble to remove/modify code from the basic Ren'Py game code, even making it look like is missing parts from the basic layout, just to save you the problem to hit [H] to see the whole render...
And didn't even stop there you went into some specific games code to modify changes to the text box, just to not use [H] to hide the UI...

You should move to next level them! Hide all that boring text and menu options that get in the way of the pretty pictures!
And better yet; remove all those boring stat progressions/requirements, options, and routes you can find in most games and just make them pretty pictures slideshows! (Sarcasm).

You can also make it an auto slideshow to save you the problem of using your right mouse button, that would be very fitting for a gamer.

:angel:
giphy (16).gif

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017

The point is saving clicks! The patch is an easily copied file into the 'game' folder. [It takes me 8 clicks] Once that it done, in the games where it works, you never have to press 'H' again. How many times do you press 'H' in one of these games? Is your index finger now stronger because of it?

Could you please explain what looks 'finished' about a dialog box that takes up 1/3 of the frame? And how eliminating that box makes it look like a draft demo? Do you refuse to play the games where the developer has no dialog box, because the developer must be lazy?

No one is twisting your arm to use the patch. Those who do use it appreciate the effort that @Penfold Mole has put into this.

Until then just remove my patch (delete y_outline.rpy and y_outline.rpyc files from the "game" sub-folder) and switch the background off from the original quick menu button.
That worked, by the way. I hadn't noticed that option when I started the game. Thank you for taking the time to research this and respond to my post.

Back to the game...

Developers create renders to be viewed. They also write dialog to be read. They do not create dialog boxes. They use what is provided and many don't know how, or don't bother, to make them transparent. It is good to be able to both see the renders and read the dialog that the developers have provided, without the artificial curtain of a translucent dialog box, which adds absolutely zero to the enjoyment of playing the game.

By the way, @Penfold Mole, do you do patches for RPGM games? Transparent dialog boxes would be a godsend for Elena's Life! ;) The silliest game, with one of the most adorable models on the internet. [Who is blocked out too much of the time by the %!#&!* dialog box!] There is supposedly a way for developers to implement a hot key to emulate pressing 'H', but I've never seen it done - certainly not in that game.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
By the way, @Penfold Mole, do you do patches for RPGM games? Transparent dialog boxes would be a godsend for Elena's Life! ;) The silliest game, with one of the most adorable models on the internet. [Who is blocked out too much of the time by the %!#&!* dialog box!] There is supposedly a way for developers to implement a hot key to emulate pressing 'H', but I've never seen it done - certainly not in that game.
Sorry, my knowledge about RPGM and its modification is somewhere around the level of "jack shit" at the moment :winkytongue:

Reactions: Walter Victor

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Sorry, my knowledge about RPGM and its modification is somewhere around the level of "jack shit" at the moment :winkytongue:
XD Oh, well. I knew it was a long shot. Thanks anyways and keep up your good work on Ren'Py.

Have you considered creating your own game? Or assisting in the development of someone else's? There are developers out there who have good ideas, but have no idea what they are doing with Ren'Py!

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
XD Oh, well. I knew it was a long shot. Thanks anyways and keep up your good work on Ren'Py.

Have you considered creating your own game? Or assisting in the development of someone else's? There are developers out there who have good ideas, but have no idea what they are doing with Ren'Py!
I have thought about it, because it would surely be a fun thing to do, but for creating a game of my own I have no good stories to write about. Only some very basic and disjointed ideas maybe, that I wouldn't be able to bind into a single story. Not yet nor any time soon.
And considering how swamped I am with my daily job already, I don't want to take any additional work to support some other project on a regular basis. I just want to relax and take it easy on my free time, doing only the things I can't escape from or like to do myself when I feel like it, without making it a job.
This patch and making some random unofficial fixes for the games I happen to play is just about as much I can take right now without feeling swamped at home, too.
So that would be a "no" to both questions (lazy as fuck, remember? :winkytongue: :test: )

hideouz

Apr 15, 2018
moin

i jus wanna ask, if you could do this for "our fate" to, when it is possible, please
i would appreciate it - thanks anyway

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jan 27, 2017
moin

i jus wanna ask, if you could do this for "our fate" to, when it is possible, please
i would appreciate it - thanks anyway
but you know, that you can switch off the textbox in Our Fate completely from within the vanilla game?

Reactions: hideouz

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
v2.5.5
- Indecent Desires [Vilelab] Ch6 - changed dialog box font to Ren'Py default and removed the bold style from the characters dialog (Thanks to bossapplesauce for the original dialog text filter that I just modified a bit.)
- The Awakening [SLim Games] 0.1 - removed "hardcoded" text box backgrounds and static character side images by redefining characters
The game itself needs a cleanup fix that moves in-game character definitions to the already existing characters.rpy that the dev seems to have forgotten about.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
It seems to be working fine here. Both, by using old saves and starting from the beginning.
How far from the beginning did you check before deciding that it doesn't work?
Because for the very first dream scene it simply can not work, because there is no actual text box nor text there, 4 first things that Bob says are pre-made images like this, not an actual text against an actual background:

Later on, when the real dialog box appears, the background is transparent.

In case it isn't for you, we'll have to investigate it, because it really works just fine for me:

Soulbringer71

Jan 26, 2018
It seems to be working fine here. Both, by using old saves and starting from the beginning.
How far from the beginning did you check before deciding that it doesn't work?
Because for the very first dream scene it simply can not work, because there is no actual text box nor text there, 4 first things that Bob says are pre-made images like this, not an actual text against an actual background:

Later on, when the real dialog box appears, the background is transparent.

In case it isn't for you, we'll have to investigate it, because it really works just fine for me:
It is just the beginning where he Mom is riding reverse bareback. lol. I havent played this in a while. I forgot it does not clear that scene. YES, it works from there on out. lol

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Well, that's good to know.
That first scene actually fooled me too, made me think that my patch doesn't work with a newly started game any more. Then I noticed that the text there is pixelated :ROFLMAO: and remembered that there was one game that started with images where text was "burned in", not overlayed by Ren'Py. I guessed that this game was it and searched a bit around the beginning of the script and found those image files by the name from the script.

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes