Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Transparent Text Box Mod v2.6.4

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Thank you Penfold Mole!!! Thanks for the help, link to the post, and the code!!! Beyond appreciated!!!
By the way, the properties of the outlines statement in this example are absolute - thickness is always 2 pixels, shift to the right and down always 1 pixel, no matter the size of the game window or how it changes. It's what the "absolute" means.
If you want the thickness and shifting to be scaled with the size of the game window, use plain numbers without the absolute statement.

Reactions: Phlexxx

Phlexxx

Oct 24, 2019
By the way, the properties of the outlines statement in this example are absolute - thickness is always 2 pixels, shift to the right and down always 1 pixel, no matter the size of the game window or how it changes. It's what the "absolute" means.
If you want the thickness and shifting to be scaled with the size of the game window, use plain numbers without the absolute statement.

Thanks for the heads up on that!

drpavelcia

Aug 19, 2018

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
I think he's asking about this image: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2018/08/143328_screenshot0007.jpg

It strangely doesn't appear in your post, but it appears in the image gallery when you click one of the images.
Oh, right, sorry! I never noticed that they were automatically added to the gallery.

They're posted in the changelog and hidden inside the changelog spoiler. Just open the spoiler and the name of the game and its author are also posted there, above the screenshots.
It's T4bbo's "Babysitter".

Feb 9, 2019
Oh, right, sorry! I never noticed that they were automatically added to the gallery.

They're posted in the changelog and hidden inside the changelog spoiler. Just open the spoiler and the name of the game and its author are also posted there, above the screenshots.
It's T4bbo's "Babysitter".
that's what I was after. no need to be rude :/ but thanks

• Angry
Reactions: SamHaim

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Umm, what? :unsure:
I didn't realize that I was being rude. o_O
Anyone else thinks I was?!

Am I supposed to remember what the subtitles said on every screenshot I made about 2 years ago?
I was a little surprised that you didn't notice game names just a little above the screenshots, but I had no idea that you were talking about the screenshots that were hidden in the spoiler. I was sure that you were talking about the 4 screenshots at the top of the OP, so I tried to be helpful and guide you to the ones with game names, never realizing that these were not the screenshots you were talking about. To my knowledge there were only these 4 screenshots in the OP.
A simple misunderstanding that I already apologized for, but I was never rude.

I can be rude when I want to and you would damn well understand when I do. ;) No need to read between the lines or guess.

• Haha
Reactions: Walter Victor
Feb 9, 2019
Umm, what? :unsure:
I didn't realize that I was being rude. o_O
Anyone else thinks I was?!

Am I supposed to remember what the subtitles said on every screenshot I made about 2 years ago?
I was a little surprised that you didn't notice game names just a little above the screenshots, but I had no idea that you were talking about the screenshots that were hidden in the spoiler. I was sure that you were talking about the 4 screenshots at the top of the OP, so I tried to be helpful and guide you to the ones with game names, never realizing that these were not the screenshots you were talking about. To my knowledge there were only these 4 screenshots in the OP.
A simple misunderstanding that I already apologized for, but I was never rude.

I can be rude when I want to and you would damn well understand when I do. ;) No need to read between the lines or guess.
alright buddy :rolleyes:

• Angry

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
Hi, Penfold
Due I'm using a tweaked version (I like to customize it for different games, things like bold, font size, etc) I would like to know if can add sentences to change the width of the text box on the one hand, and that the text always fit in it automatically (even reducing font size) on the other.

Thanks.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Hi, Penfold
Due I'm using a tweaked version (I like to customize it for different games, things like bold, font size, etc) I would like to know if can add sentences to change the width of the text box on the one hand, and that the text always fit in it automatically (even reducing font size) on the other.

Thanks.
I wish I knew that for sure myself...
I'm not even sure how to change the width or height of the dialog box in-game. I found something in Ren'Py wiki, but I still have to test it.

Changing font size is easier, but to make it change automatically in case it overflows is pretty difficult, I think. For me at least.
Manually, sure. I have a working sample for that. I'm not sure how much that would help, though.

My knowledge about Ren'Py or Python are not at that level. Sorry...

Reactions: SamHaim and UncleVT

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
No problem, thanks.
I'll keep searching and if I find something, I'll tell you.

zerlkung

Sep 26, 2019
I change hint to auto text but
I wish I knew that for sure myself...
I'm not even sure how to change the width or height of the dialog box in-game. I found something in Ren'Py wiki, but I still have to test it.

Changing font size is easier, but to make it change automatically in case it overflows is pretty difficult, I think. For me at least.
Manually, sure. I have a working sample for that. I'm not sure how much that would help, though.

My knowledge about Ren'Py or Python are not at that level. Sorry...
Can you add Auto text to mod i changed by myself still show error. thank you sir.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Hi, Penfold
No, you can't.
Well, technically you can tweak Ren'py to get the size of the text and adjust the font size until it will fit, but it wouldn't be something easy to do.

Even tweaking the say screen to put the text in a viewport wouldn't be a good solution, since the said viewport catch the mouse click, which mean that you can't anymore click on the text to advance.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Released v2.6.2 to address a critical problem with the outdated character replacement code for Bad Memories.

#####################################
v2.6.2
- Was unable to add Milky Touch to my patch, although I promised to do so: https://f95zone.to/threads/11925/post-3119148
The code of character definitions in this game was a bit of a mess when I looked at it, couldn't figure out what to do or how to patch it. Sorry!
- Freeloading Family [FFCreation] v0.25 - overrides updated
- Unleashed [CarbonBlue] v0.4 - redefined characters to remove background. You have to save and load the save to make it work.
- My Pleasure [Tasty Pics] v0.5 - redefined characters to remove background. You have to save and load the save to make it work.
- Indecent Desires [Vilelab] v010 - removed "hardcoded" colors from character definitions, they still remain into the game script where they exist there though. Code replacement proposed by nevermoreXX f95zone, I optimized further the code he provided.
- Bad Memories [recreation] - updated to v0.5.2, fixing a critical compatibility problem with new updated character definitions in newer versions of the game.
- Fixed a problem with the after_load section character (re-)definitions being triggered even when condition was not True

Last edited:

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
ill put that new one still in all games
thanks again ;]
You can try, but please be aware that it won't work with all Ren'Py games, just most of them. At least until now.
The more Ren'Py games with highly modified or completely replaced GUI appear, the less games will be compatible.

In case some game isn't working properly, remove my patch and try without it.
To be on the safe side, it would make sense to try to start the game without my patch first and see how it looks and only then patch it and try again to see how and if it works after patching.

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes