Ren'py Video Player color is way off! Is there a fix?

Chubup

Mar 15, 2019
Hey Everyone!

Does everyone have this issue with renpy where the videos that play look horrible? I'm brand new to this so maybe it's some easy fix but I can't seem to find any documentation on it. Attachted are two stills from the same webm video. One is played in VLC player (which looks normal) and the other is the same clip played in renpy. Is there any solution to this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

vlccolor.PNG

rencolor.PNG

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Download media player classic and see what it looks like, VLC is not very good at playing media in the best quality as it uses its own codecs and tries to correct things, the movie file might be more like the bottom one than the top from the get go. If its not at least we know. You also should try other vides and see if its the same.

Chubup

Mar 15, 2019
Thanks for replying! I just ran it through media player classic and it looks very similar to vlc (although a bit less washed out).
mpccolor.PNG
I did try another vid previously and it was the same thing unfortunately. But yes, this was a good idea to establish a baseline by using another player. I just don't really know where to go from here.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
I don't have a solution, but there already seems to be an 'open issue' on the Ren'Py GitHub:

Chubup

Mar 15, 2019
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Yeah, I feel like my only solve right now if I want to use wedm in Renpy is to try and color correct for it. To counter act it you basically have to bring your contrast all the way down then lighten it a bit and raise the saturation.