Requesting advice + Sketch

PotentiallyZebra

Feb 25, 2021
Greetings,

I am looking to get into (pervert) game development.

I already have a firm understanding of programming concepts and application, but do not have the financial means to contract others.
Thus, I recently got into doing sketches with focus a on human-like figures so I could do that myself also.
I started off copying real sources and some other materials, but now I am trying to sketch mostly from memory (Though, am going to stay away from shading & co. for now).

I heard a lot of good about "Figure Drawing: Design and Invention", but I also want to look into styles that are effective without being so detailed.
What are some good books / guides for learing to do such drawings?

Here is a sketch btw sk1.PNG

Reactions: DiscipleN

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
You'll find more support from artists on deviant art forums I guess. Not many 2d artists around here....

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
I think learning how to draw is a worthwhile endeavor regardless, but it takes a lot of time and effort to develop the skills required to not only draw a convincing human figure, but an attractive one that people will want to interact with.

Lots of people, especially on this forum, take the much easier route and go 3D instead. I'm not knocking it, I'm just saying there's a convenience to be had there. They can then focus on the story or whatever and create something relatively quickly.

I don't mean to say you shouldn't do a 2D game. In fact, I think you should do whatever you want to do but you should know what you're asking. Whenever you see a gorgeous hand drawn girl you're looking at 8+ years of experience and training. It's the same with 3D, except those models can be bought and repurposed by anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonathan Y

PotentiallyZebra

Feb 25, 2021
Yea, I see once and again how many places drawing & designing, in general, would have helped me, especially on the software side of things. Though, sadly, I didn't have much of an interest in it growing up, aside from the occasional doodle.

The reason I didn't go for 3D is that it doesn't usually appeal to me as much (in this context). I want to create something that I would enjoy myself.

I understand that developing such talents takes a lot of time and effort, but I am also not expecting to make flawless art any time soon. My main goal is to reach something acceptable (for now).

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
I think the best way way to reach your goal is doing exactly what you're doing. You learn by doing and having some kind of project to push you forward is really valuable and an excellent ways to develop those skills. For me, I only learned to program because I wanted to make games. I learned to draw because I wanted to draw lewd fan art (and to impress my friends). I'm learning 3D sculpting because I wanted to see if any of my 2D experience could be used in 3D. (The answer was both yes and no but it was really fun to try, regardless.)

If you're motivated then the only advice I can give is to keep going and try to have fun with it.